Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

On 08/09/2022 at 01:18, leicsmac said:

....the global average temperature has been found to increase even faster than we expected and the consequences thereof are manifesting themselves even sooner?

This is another example of a person or people in strife, panicking, looking for an easy solution and making a mistake that will hurt them and everyone else further down the line.

F0EE293F-2165-4EA7-A5EA-2783EE2CF578.jpeg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The powers that govern the universe do indeed have a perverse sense of humour when they arrange for someone so contemptuous of human future (ignorantly or maliciously) to be Energy Secretary at this critically important point in time.

We need gas this winter and probably future ones also. 

8 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

We need gas this winter and probably future ones also. 

....until it all comes tumbling down around our ears, as it inevitably will?

Forgive me for thinking that people like JRM have no transitional ideas regarding energy policy in mind - or if they do, they're laughably insufficient compared to what is required.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

we will be burning gas for decades to come. Better than shipping liquified gas from halfway round the world. 

Little bit optimistic to suggest that the UK or anyone else will be burning gas for several decades given the consequences of doing so (among burning other things) are already apparent and will only get worse in a much shorter timeframe than that.

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Little bit optimistic to suggest that the UK or anyone else will be burning gas for several decades given the consequences of doing so (among burning other things) are already apparent and will only get worse in a much shorter timeframe than that.

I’ll guarantee you Western countries will be burning gas for at least 20 years and probably beyond. Surely the best thing to do is mitigate for it. Stop cutting down vast expanse’s of the rain forests. Invest in carbon capture and plant more trees. However I  can see the phasing out of IC engines happening more speedily than our boilers. 

29 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I’ll guarantee you Western countries will be burning gas for at least 20 years and probably beyond. Surely the best thing to do is mitigate for it. Stop cutting down vast expanse’s of the rain forests. Invest in carbon capture and plant more trees. However I  can see the phasing out of IC engines happening more speedily than our boilers. 

I'm sure they will right up to the point a billion and possibly more people are rendered homeless, starving and thirsty and probably beyond, yes. What happens after that could get quite interesting.

Mitigation is important but breaking reliance on any form of carbon emission tech for generating energy around the world and soon is the only way the above doesn't happen.