Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Another totally-not-a-racist populist playing to "legitimate concerns" he helped create.

Unfortunate that it's happening again, doubly so that too many people keep falling for it, especially when the bed for unity has never been more stark.

How did he help create the concerns?

3 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I haven't looked and don't read the DM. My source was the Telegraph last week, and also Sunak who referenced the 5 million a day several times during his hustings. You are not dispelling the fact that 28k have crossed the channel this year, Surely?

I don't remember challenging the facts, I remember asking for a reliable source. Which I don't believe the Telegraph or Sunak to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

China aren’t going near Ukraine. Not something to worry about. 

Correct. Why piss about with Ukraine when it's clear a weakened Russia is up for sale at a bargain price? It's like Africa but more desperate and more corrupt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

How did he help create the concerns?

By pushing the idea of the "other" in the first place and that those people who immigrate were not welcome in Sweden, while at the same time railing against immigration but making sure a fair few immigrants come in that then can be provoked into violence by the rhetoric you're spouting and the effect it has on your supporters. When you want an ethnostate, the best way to cultivate the attitude that precludes it is to have some "other" to wail on to prove just now nasty and "foreign" they are, right?

Of course, the folks forming gangs are also culpable for giving Akesson and his ilk exactly what they want, but the M.O. is pretty clear.

12 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't remember challenging the facts, I remember asking for a reliable source. Which I don't believe the Telegraph or Sunak to be.

Hopefully this will be a reliable source.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/news/2022/02/18/number-of-migrants-in-hotels-nearly-quadruples-in-one-year-to-just-under-40000-costing-taxpayers-1-7-billion-per-year

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Really. If they don’t soon stop the crossings it will be one of the failures that will cost them the election. 28k already this year alone, all in hotels at a cost of 5 million a day to taxpayers. It’s unsustainable. 

How does it compare to the number of asylum seekers that usually enter the country? 

I don't have the facts, so I could be way off, but I'm sure I remember reading/hearing that many of the legitimate schemes for helping asylum seekers have closed down. Similarly its now trickier for them to get across via lorries, etc. 

So it's difficult to known how sustainable / out of the ordinary it is without all the data. It may appear that we have many more than usual if you just focus on how many come via boat, but are these just people who would have traditionally come via other methods? I don't actually know the answer to this to be fair, but I'm too lazy to check. 

In my opinion though, the biggest tragedy is the percentage of genuine asylum seekers that have to resort to risky boat crossings. The fact that there's a huge risk of loss of life on these crossings, but they risk them anyway, shows you how shit their situation must be. 

Edited by Charl91

18 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

In my opinion though, the biggest tragedy is the percentage of genuine asylum seekers that have to resort to risky boat crossings. The fact that there's a huge risk of loss of life on these crossings, but they risk them anyway, shows you how shit their situation must be. 

Always told people France is a shit hole. Proof is in the dingy I reckon. 

3 hours ago, Charl91 said:

How does it compare to the number of asylum seekers that usually enter the country? 

I don't have the facts, so I could be way off, but I'm sure I remember reading/hearing that many of the legitimate schemes for helping asylum seekers have closed down. Similarly its now trickier for them to get across via lorries, etc. 

So it's difficult to known how sustainable / out of the ordinary it is without all the data. It may appear that we have many more than usual if you just focus on how many come via boat, but are these just people who would have traditionally come via other methods? I don't actually know the answer to this to be fair, but I'm too lazy to check. 

There is a wealth of data and stats on gov.uk if you can be bothered to trawl through it all, like you I can't be bothered. However this year has seen a large increase in people from Albania coming across the channel, up to 40% apparently. 

Edited by Fazzer 7

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

By pushing the idea of the "other" in the first place and that those people who immigrate were not welcome in Sweden, while at the same time railing against immigration but making sure a fair few immigrants come in that then can be provoked into violence by the rhetoric you're spouting and the effect it has on your supporters. When you want an ethnostate, the best way to cultivate the attitude that precludes it is to have some "other" to wail on to prove just now nasty and "foreign" they are, right?

Of course, the folks forming gangs are also culpable for giving Akesson and his ilk exactly what they want, but the M.O. is pretty clear.

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't disputing you, I am just very ignorant of Swedish politics. I thought the Sweden Democrats were more fringe than they clearly were, so didn't think they could have had any influence on the bit in bold. 

just in case anyone fancied a read...   https://www.ft.com/content/ef265420-45e8-497b-b308-c951baa68945

Looking forward to having a worse standard of living than Slovenia in two years time. 

To quote some of the article

"In 2007, the average UK household was 8 per cent worse off than its peers in north-western Europe, but the deficit has since ballooned to a record 20 per cent. On present trends, the average Slovenian household will be better off than its British counterpart by 2024, and the average Polish family will move ahead before the end of the decade. A country in desperate need of migrant labour may soon have to ask new arrivals to take a pay cut."

What a state of affairs!

Edited by Greg2607
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

just in case anyone fancied a read...   https://www.ft.com/content/ef265420-45e8-497b-b308-c951baa68945

Looking forward to having a worse standard of living than Slovenia in two years time. 

"In 2007, the average UK household was 8 per cent worse off than its peers in north-western Europe, but the deficit has since ballooned to a record 20 per cent. On present trends, the average Slovenian household will be better off than its British counterpart by 2024, and the average Polish family will move ahead before the end of the decade. A country in desperate need of migrant labour may soon have to ask new arrivals to take a pay cut."

What a state of affairs!

It's behind a paywall sadly, are you able to copy and paste it please?

2 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't disputing you, I am just very ignorant of Swedish politics. I thought the Sweden Democrats were more fringe than they clearly were, so didn't think they could have had any influence on the bit in bold. 

Fair enough.

For what's it's worth I hope that I'm wrong but I've no reason to suspect that I am. It's a well-read playbook, because sadly it works.

3 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

What a state of affairs!

English migrants going to Poland for better pay and work conditions would be quite the turnaround. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lionator said:

English migrants going to Poland for better pay and work conditions would be quite the turnaround. 

Polish people have been moving back to Poland for a number of years as their salaries have increased over there to the point there isn't much point moving to the UK.