Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

8 minutes ago, adam said:

Doesn't look like normal behaviour to me. Disrespectful to start with. Who laughs like that at a funeral?  

You’d be surprised - people who feel uncomfortable often overdo humour to feel less so. I saw quite a few people laughing in the abbey before the funeral got underway. during the service would have been quite a different matter. 

I’ve attended quite a few funerals over the past few months (it’s an age thing) and humour has been present at every one of them. It’s often a coping mechanism 

32 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62967084

In my mind I just have ‘Lynne they’ve rebadged it you fool’ 

Said it only the other day on here. It feels inevitable to me that we’re just going to slide back towards the single market over the next few years like Iceland, Norway and Switzerland all have. But now without being able to even sit in the EU and make changes. 

This essentially just feels like a recreation of the EEC where we’ll join Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and all the former Yugoslav states as essentially a parallel but worse organisation alongside the EU. Where they’ll be freedom of movement but with some small customs exceptions on certain goods as is the case with Norway and Iceland, which will only bothered to be checked for lorries and not everyday folk, as is the case for the thousands who happily drive through the Sweden-Norway border everyday without getting custom checked when they technically should be doing. Except we now have no say on the rules and governance of the EU.

Feel like Ukraine will actually be given EU ascension though.

Edited by Sampson

42 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is she just going to hide behind 'difficult decisions' every time there's an unpopular, unreasonable thing to do? 

Yes It’s politically stupid but from a purely economic perspective, if you allow bankers to earn a big bonus then as long as you ensure it’s paid as cash, govt takes at least 45% of it in tax and if any of it gets spent then a further 20% in vat. That could be between 460 and 650k  per million bonus paid. 

leaving that million quid with the bank profit will only deliver 200 grand in corporation tax and thats most unlikely given the way companies avoid tax ….

It’s only because it will not be that many people affected and earning big bonus’ that you can ignore the treasury taking in an additional £50/100m against the ooor image of big bonus’ when many of us are struggling with our basic bills 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yes It’s politically stupid but from a purely economic perspective, if you allow bankers to earn a big bonus then as long as you ensure it’s paid as cash, govt takes at least 45% of it in tax and if any of it gets spent then a further 20% in vat. That could be between 460 and 650k  per million bonus paid. 

leaving that million quid with the bank profit will only deliver 200 grand in corporation tax and thats most unlikely given the way companies avoid tax ….

It’s only because it will not be that many people affected and earning big bonus’ that you can ignore the treasury taking in an additional £50/100m against the ooor image of big bonus’ when many of us are struggling with our basic bills 

Might go some way to clawing back the £500 billion we shilled out to them. Issue was the original bonus schemes incentivised excessive risk taking in pursuit of, at the time, uncapped performance related pay. If that greed is replicated, which I believe it will through the relentless pursuit of deregulation, we'll just have 2008 again. 

Its a challenging balance to strike, but I agree with your final point. Whatever your view, its really daft timing giving the cost of living crisis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I think they are also hoping that foreign banks will be more encouraged to set up shop here if their senior executives know they can get better bonuses.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is she just going to hide behind 'difficult decisions' every time there's an unpopular, unreasonable thing to do? 

Hardly think giving the bankers a free-for-all is a priority and/or good messaging for the rest of us on planet earth. 

I think she’s signed her own election defeat with this one action alone. Can’t wait.

On 17/09/2022 at 15:16, Fazzer 7 said:

Oh god they will be devising more ways to kill us off.

The corrupt current neo capitalist system is only just kicking in... old folks will be dropping off at a much higher ratewithout food heat and shelter.

https://agedcare.royalcommission.gov.au/system/files/2020-06/RCD.9999.0063.0131.pdf

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Yesterday, I resigned from the charity board I volunteered with due to infiltration by Tufton Street types. We had a political balance when I joined, as of yesterday there were only two of us who weren't in the pay of petrochemical/tobacco companies or libertarian billionaires. The levers of power and influence in the UK are completely compromised.

And people either don't understand this or are too thick to realise it might really, really matter

• Like 2

On 20/09/2022 at 16:21, StanSP said:

I like the fact she’s really bad at lying and says the first thing that comes out of her mouth. 
she’s going to be a lot of fun. 

54 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

I like the fact she’s really bad at lying and says the first thing that comes out of her mouth. 
she’s going to be a lot of fun. 

More so after a tipple. She’s going to have to really work hard on sobriety. 

13 hours ago, Daggers said:

Yesterday, I resigned from the charity board I volunteered with due to infiltration by Tufton Street types. We had a political balance when I joined, as of yesterday there were only two of us who weren't in the pay of petrochemical/tobacco companies or libertarian billionaires. The levers of power and influence in the UK are completely compromised.

Oh dear. Worrying. I hesitate to ask, which charity? No idea what Tufton Street types means BTW.

• Haha 1