Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Fine if you believe that, but I’m not sure which bit of spending billions on a 1pp tax cut for 32million people, subsidised energy for all and rolling back the NI increase makes you think that.

I find it hilarious that just the other day you were bleating on about how much tax is paid on these uncapped bankers bonuses, and now it's fine we're cutting the amount of tax paid on these uncapped bankers bonuses. Just give up mate ffs lol

The odd thing is even if this works, you’re unlikely to see the benefit before next election. In the meantime the Tory’s have been firmly painted as hating anyone who doesn’t earn 100k+ and being a threat to our economy.

I’ve gone from thinking the polls will close by time next election comes round and Labour hoping for a coalition at best to looking a sure bet for a good majority.

NI reduction is sensible - should never of happened in the first place. Basic band reduction I also agree with. The 45% bracket isn’t justifiable. They should of kept it.

The tax bracket they should of looked at is the bracket between 100-125k. It’s a aggregate tax of over 63% (well it’s technically not a bracket you just lose your personal allowance) In my view this is pretty outrageous levels of tax and unfair. 

• Like 2

I want to hate this budget for many reasons but to be honest abolishing IR35 is the best thing that’s happened to me and many fellow contractors in the last 5 years , it’s been a hard few years snd I’m having a little celebration tonight. That’s tough for me to say as i’m usually a Labour supporter these days. 

Edited by grth2004

bootstraps.png?w=940

The phrase “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” originated shortly before the turn of the 20th century. It’s attributed to a late-1800s physics schoolbook that contained the example question “Why can not a man lift himself by pulling up on his bootstraps?”

So when it became a colloquial phrase referring to socioeconomic advancement shortly thereafter, it was meant to be sarcastic, or to suggest that it was an impossible accomplishment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grth2004 said:

I want to hate this budget for many reasons but to be honest abolishing IR35 is the best thing that’s happened to me and many fellow contractors in the last 5 years , it’s been a hard few years snd I’m having a little celebration tonight. That’s tough for me to say as i’m usually a Labour supporter these days. 

What is IR35?

6 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

What is IR35?

In simple terms, working inside IR35 means that the service you provide is deemed by HMRC to reflect a service of employment, not self-employment. That means you're likely to be taxed more, given that contractors operating inside the rules are considered employees for tax purposes.

15 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I find it hilarious that just the other day you were bleating on about how much tax is paid on these uncapped bankers bonuses, and now it's fine we're cutting the amount of tax paid on these uncapped bankers bonuses. Just give up mate ffs lol

I'm not convinced it is the right thing to be honest because it looks bad, but even at 40%, a 1million bonus pays 400k of income tax, vs 200k or corporation tax.  Its makes no difference to me if a banker gets paid more money, so why wouldn't I want to see more tax revenues?  I am pretty sure this policy will pay for itself anyway.  If the treasury didn't think so they wouldn't have done it.  Whether you like it or not there is a competitive market for talent being paid fortunes, and we want London to win that battle - it is good for all of.  Those financial services pay for an awful lot of our public services countrywide.

That said, I do think the money invested yesterday could have been better spent to focus on those really struggling.  A one time increase to UC for 12 months would likely take us through the worst of it.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Yes. Whenever has the banking sector ever let us down? They deserve every ounce of support. 

During the financial crash most countries held their bankers to account. 

We gave them bonuses. No wonder that they aren't ****ed in the slightest. No consequence to anything for the well off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

There isn’t a single one of these measures will help me. I was hoping for something like a cut in vat on fuel or duty. 

Liz Truss has voted numerous times to increase VAT and has voted numerous times to lower the higher rare of tax etc. You know where her priorities lie.

9 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

There isn’t a single one of these measures will help me. I was hoping for something like a cut in vat on fuel or duty. 

As @Facecloth above states, I doubt this will help anyone outside of a very specific subset of people whom it's designed to enrich still further.

They care nothing for people beyond either their own line of sight or the next few years.

• Like 1