Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Honestly starting to think this Rwanda thing is deliberately designed to fail.

The way the government keep openly saying "we're expected a legal challenge" makes me half think it's just a ploy to say "we're trying to sort out immigration but those pesky lefty lawyers are stopping us" to their red meat voters.

Pretty much. I've heard it referred to as a "bomb scare" strategy. Basically putting out deliberately awful policy in order to distract and wear down the opposition who focus their outrage and activism on a policy that you have little interest in. Then you get to claim your efforts to govern are being impeded.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Milo said:

Apologies.

I've just re-read.

I thought they were 'People that vote a different way to me have been manipulated, poor sods' type posts, but they weren't

On the newspaper equivalence point, I'd probably disagree, though. From memory, the Tories have had their fair share of Fleet Street treatment - from Mellor, Major, Norris, Aitkin, Duck pond bloke, Neil Hamilton, etc. 

Anyway... :kissing: 

I think the argument about the party itself not really being given the treatment by the most popular UK newspapers despite sometimes deserving it post-2010 is salient, though.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I thought they were 'People that vote a different way to me have been manipulated, poor sods' type posts, but they weren't

We've become very touchy about stuff like this in the UK. I don't know why; it's blindingly obvious that at times people have been lied to and manipulated on a monumental scale over the last few years but we're not allowed to say that apparently because it's elitist. Or at least we're not allowed to say it about a certain section of society. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, bovril said:

We've become very touchy about stuff like this in the UK. I don't know why; it's blindingly obvious that at times people have been lied to and manipulated on a monumental scale over the last few years but we're not allowed to say that apparently because it's elitist. Or at least we're not allowed to say it about a certain section of society. 

For me, it’s more the fact that someone thinks I’ve voted someone/something due to a lie or series of lies. 

That I don’t have the intelligence to maybe see the lies for what they are, and vote for different reasons. 

I don’t really care why someone votes the way they do - maybe it’s because their parents always voted that way, maybe they read a particular newspaper, believe passionately about local issues, or spend hours in echo chamber websites. 

Maybe people have genuine interests beyond the soundbites and headlines. 

The assumption that someone is thick because they didn’t vote the same way I did/you did is what I take exception to. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Milo said:

For me, it’s more the fact that someone thinks I’ve voted someone/something due to a lie or series of lies. 

That I don’t have the intelligence to maybe see the lies for what they are, and vote for different reasons. 

I don’t really care why someone votes the way they do - maybe it’s because their parents always voted that way, maybe they read a particular newspaper, believe passionately about local issues, or spend hours in echo chamber websites. 

The assumption that someone is thick because they didn’t vote the same way I did/you did is what I take exception to. 

It isn't about you, Milo, and it isn't about being thick either. It is very possible to manipulate and coerce the intelligent and honest. If I ever went close to suggesting that some people are manipulable, it is much more a comment on the perpetrators than those that are vulnerable. 

Please don't take offence when none is intended or due. 

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I tend to agree with you but it's inevitable that that attitude has become more prevalent in the UK in recent years when you look at political developments.

3 hours ago, bovril said:

Get Brexit done!

Oven ready deal!

£350,000,000 a week for the NHS! 

Doh!!.. that 'certain section of society' love to be lured in with a pathetic sound bite!

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

... and the Chinese- well, unfortunately we don't really get to know what they think before they get unpersoned.

So yeah, the political situation in the UK stinks to high heaven, but I'd agree that the stench in other places, some rather more influential, is worse.

That being said, if the Tories do win the next GE despite all that has happened here I will wonder rather more about the British voting populace, no matter who Labour stick up against them if Starmer resigns.

You carry on with your own  nonsense......

Because the known  bad guys are still proving  they rule by ignoring their own citizens, and as normal for despots,

take more of their own peoples out,under any political name they find convenient at any convenient time..

Doesn't mean Boris actions should get Carte Blanche, to Ride roughshod, over the UK electorate, a large amount (minority) of this Electorate have died, or Couldnt

Interface with friends & relations, even at funerals, canceling their normal events of their Everyday life,

over 2 years, with still the Country still being asked to be Covid-wary. Before his words had Breezed over a (his)  suffering country, he decided his high Political Member & colleagues, could totally ignore his man own blunt, fist pumping Adress to the country..

These actions & Denial , soft apologies, Not seeing arrogantly any reason Why he should resign...Set undemocratic seeds...

A Peoples ignoring  their responsibility to show through actions, that such Political Abuse has no consequence....Set The same Seeds and nourishes the spread of Political contempt towards them, the recognized Voting public & what they hold dear...!!

Honorary member badge should be discarded..Shame he couldnt be pillared & put in the stocks...at The Borders of the city..

Edited by fuchsntf

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Nothing says "functioning democracy" like watching a 73-year-old apprentice walk into a chamber of unelected bishops, landowners & government sycophants, sit down next to his mum's £5billion hat, to deliver a speech on behalf of the government about how they're not going to fix the poverty crisis they've created while trying not to look like he was under duress like on an ISIS kidnap video.

Mods: you may now close this thread. Nothing will surpass this post.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Nothing says "functioning democracy" like watching a 73-year-old apprentice walk into a chamber of unelected bishops, landowners & government sycophants, sit down next to his mum's £5billion hat, to deliver a speech on behalf of the government about how they're not going to fix the poverty crisis they've created while trying not to look like he was under duress like on an ISIS kidnap video.

F1261580-B14B-4031-86B0-66D9219A4E80.jpeg

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Arguably, he's still more in touch with regular folk than half of the commons and Lords. 

You know I was just thinking that as I was wandering through my family's private 1000 square foot Duchy of Rearsby the other day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is he okay? 

It's a deflection tactic. These people have no shame and happy to appear on TV looking stupid if it deflects from their **** ups and corruption. 

Nobody is going to be turned off the tories because Michael Gove put on some silly voices, but its what we're talking about now. Meanwhile they might be turned off by the numerous mistakes, and dodgy deals, but we aren't talking about that. They don't mind looking like weirdos on TV to achieve that. Like I say, no shame.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

You know I was just thinking that as I was wandering through my family's private 1000 square foot Duchy of Rearsby the other day!

You never fail to entertain me!

If only it wasn't all so serious. 

The ridiculous thing is that despite there now being a majority who would prefer to have remained, we aren’t allowed to discuss that! 

of course you can’t have a system where you change you mind on generational calls every five years but I think the whole brexit referendum and subsequent saga illustrates that in future, any huge calls like that should require more than a simple majority to change the status quo 

• Like 2