Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

28 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Did you actually expect anything else from these people?

I did actually. I do get the tax cuts to a certain extent, but the timing is wrong. To increase borrowing at a time like this with rising inflation and interest rates is reckless beyond belief. But what really grates is axing the limit on bankers bonuses. That to me is like burning £50 pound notes outside a food bank. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I did actually. I do get the tax cuts to a certain extent, but the timing is wrong. To increase borrowing at a time like this with rising inflation and interest rates is reckless beyond belief. But what really grates is axing the limit on bankers bonuses. That to me is like burning £50 pound notes outside a food bank. 

The cap was a toothless tiger anyway. Banks found a way around it easily. If they performed well they still got 2 or 3x salary as a bonus 

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

During the financial crash most countries held their bankers to account. 

We gave them bonuses. No wonder that they aren't ****ed in the slightest. No consequence to anything for the well off. 

None of us were around during the Great Depression which lasted 10 years in America (1929-1939) when Wall Street crashed, and bankers and stockbrokers were jumping from skyscrapers because they were so desperate. No bonuses, no financial support, they got what they earned, and most were very wealthy until the whole system collapsed. Maybe there should be consequences for our seemingly selfish, greedy "wealth creators" that will benefit from this stinking mess that the rest of us will suffer through.

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I did actually. I do get the tax cuts to a certain extent, but the timing is wrong. To increase borrowing at a time like this with rising inflation and interest rates is reckless beyond belief.

I admire your optimism which, to put it politely, seems profoundly misguided and extremely naive. How often do these people disappoint you?

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

But what really grates is axing the limit on bankers bonuses. That to me is like burning £50 pound notes outside a food bank. 

Respectfully we just had a prime minister who was known to have burnt £50 notes in front of homeless people. Callous people do callous things.

Edited by urban.spaceman
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, grth2004 said:

I want to hate this budget for many reasons but to be honest abolishing IR35 is the best thing that’s happened to me and many fellow contractors in the last 5 years , it’s been a hard few years snd I’m having a little celebration tonight. That’s tough for me to say as i’m usually a Labour supporter these days. 

As a fellow former contractor, currently on a fixed term contract, I'm torn. The flexibility of the contractor market is what makes it so important to businesses and so lucrative. But you meet so many people exploiting it, including in this government, it makes complete sense as a policy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daggers said:

That is truly sickening. My pension is paid in pounds and I have to exchange it to pay the bills, A few weeks ago it was about $1.33 now it's $1.08

On a £1000 that is a $250 a month drop in income or $3 grand a year in an inflating economy.

If that's the way the cookie crumbles so be it but knowing that banker/finacial dealers are betting against the pound makes my blood boil

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

As a fellow former contractor, currently on a fixed term contract, I'm torn. The flexibility of the contractor market is what makes it so important to businesses and so lucrative. But you meet so many people exploiting it, including in this government, it makes complete sense as a policy. 

I’ve met one or two LTD Company contractors fudging the system but generally I find it people like myself just getting out of the rat race. 
i personally run myself as a business and pay tax and do everything above board including pay for my own training and fuel costs but I’m sometimes rewarded with great pay for the risks of no contract. 
IR35 reforms made it impossible for me to do what I want to do , I already employ another contractor and now I can hopefully move forward and give more people work.  

Unless the labour party (when elected) make some REAL changes... the UK really is at risk of collapse.

Brief history lesson. In 2007 the UK had a Labour government, food banks hadn't been invented and the pound was worth 2 dollars.

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Unless the labour party (when elected) make some REAL changes... the UK really is at risk of collapse.

Brief history lesson. In 2007 the UK had a Labour government, food banks hadn't been invented and the pound was worth 2 dollars.

Don’t be ridiculous.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

There isn’t a single one of these measures will help me. I was hoping for something like a cut in vat on fuel or duty. 

You don’t pay basic rate tax? Agree though it doesn’t do nearly enough for the majority, struggling or not.

I heard some commentary yesterday suggesting that the Tories are shifting the game to the right so Labour cannot shift it back far enough when they come into government.  Makes some sense - I don’t hear Starmer telling us he would reinstate any of these taxes.

45 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You don’t pay basic rate tax? Agree though it doesn’t do nearly enough for the majority, struggling or not.

I heard some commentary yesterday suggesting that the Tories are shifting the game to the right so Labour cannot shift it back far enough when they come into government.  Makes some sense - I don’t hear Starmer telling us he would reinstate any of these taxes.

On doing some more reading it seems they are also freezing the tax thresholds, so literally no one earning under 155k is better off.  This is indefensible in this environment.  It’s also stupid.  Why make all this noise if you aren’t going to help? I really don’t understand what they are thinking.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

On doing some more reading it seems they are also freezing the tax thresholds, so literally no one earning under 155k is better off.  This is indefensible in this environment.  It’s also stupid.  Why make all this noise if you aren’t going to help? I really don’t understand what they are thinking.

because they are a corrupt government, supported by corrupt subhumans, working in a corrupt system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Gotta pay for those tax cuts for the richest somehow. When you said yesterday cutting the top rate of tax meant we would still pull in plenty of tax on these bonuses, but its still less isn't. And why make the richest make up the shortfall, when you can get those already squeezed to the limit. Great way to grow the economy is giving people less money to spend.

The uncapping of the bonuses was sold as attracting more banks here because they can pay whatever bonuses they like, god forbid we actually make them pay a little bit of tax on those bonuses. Imagine earning millions and being put off working somewhere because you might have to pay an few extra thousand in tax, all whilst people are struggling to pay basic bills.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

How?

if they reduce the basic rate by a penny then everyone paying income tax saves a penny of the first 40 odd k they earn above the threshold 

tbh, I don’t have any economic issues over the bankers bonus decision - politically bizarre on many levels but I suspect they have done it now to show there is a brexit win somewhere. 

the 45% removal - I wonder just how much this actually raises - as others have pointed out the 100k/125k drop off losing your tax free income is far more impactful on many more people and would likely provide monies to be spent over here. ( I wonder how much the current plan will see monies freed up spent overseas).  be interesting to know the difference between what would be lost by removing either policy.