Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

8 hours ago, Smudge said:

That is truly sickening. My pension is paid in pounds and I have to exchange it to pay the bills, A few weeks ago it was about $1.33 now it's $1.08

On a £1000 that is a $250 a month drop in income or $3 grand a year in an inflating economy.

If that's the way the cookie crumbles so be it but knowing that banker/finacial dealers are betting against the pound makes my blood boil

But at least they’ll be paying a top rate of tax on those amoral earnin…oh…****.

8 hours ago, Daggers said:

it was pretty clear that the pound would drop ahead of the announcements. And it did through the week (also on the back of the interest rate rise being 0.5% compared to 0.75% in the states)  - but no one could have imagined just how much they would do and how far it would fall as a consequence- hence these hedge funds did the right thing to short stg over the week but the idea that they’ve been given inside info to make a fortune doesn’t have evidence. They made way more than they expected but lots of businesses would have bought dollars early in the week rather than waiting till Friday. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

it was pretty clear that the pound would drop ahead of the announcements. And it did through the week (also on the back of the interest rate rise being 0.5% compared to 0.75% in the states)  - but no one could have imagined just how much they would do and how far it would fall as a consequence- hence these hedge funds did the right thing to short stg over the week but the idea that they’ve been given inside info to make a fortune doesn’t have evidence. They made way more than they expected but lots of businesses would have bought dollars early in the week rather than waiting till Friday. 

I disagree, but that’s the last thing I’m going to get into an argument over as it’s just opinion.

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Unless the labour party (when elected) make some REAL changes... the UK really is at risk of collapse.

Brief history lesson. In 2007 the UK had a Labour government, food banks hadn't been invented and the pound was worth 2 dollars.

Good idea, let’s get the Whig  party back in and reclaim the Empire. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

You don’t pay basic rate tax? Agree though it doesn’t do nearly enough for the majority, struggling or not.

I heard some commentary yesterday suggesting that the Tories are shifting the game to the right so Labour cannot shift it back far enough when they come into government.  Makes some sense - I don’t hear Starmer telling us he would reinstate any of these taxes.

No, took early retirement. Live off investment income which has taken a pounding lately. 

It is completely unprecedented that the Tory party has pushed groups like the RSPB onto a war footing

Anybody left who’d still vote for them is either dangerously ****ing stupid or just plain ****ing evil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

10 minutes ago, Daggers said:

It is completely unprecedented that the Tory party has pushed groups like the RSPB onto a war footing

Anybody left who’d still vote for them is either dangerously ****ing stupid or just plain ****ing evil.

Gosh! I'm bloody angry.

It's like we have been infiltrated by a foreign, subversive government out to destroy much of what we hold dear.

Please tell me that tweet is from a spoof account and is a wind up?

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

It takes a special talent to post as though you were 16 and completely clueless about the workings of the world, but you really pull it off with aplomb. Well done, I’m impressed.

It’s literally all the Tory voters have left, the “well the opposition is useless too” card. They can’t even bring themselves to praise their own party so can only say Labour are just as crap too, It’s desperate stuff.  They know the Tories are ****ed next election and are polling so bad they could well be out of power for a decade or even a generation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LVocey said:

Not Starmers biggest fan, but impressed by his announcements today. A lot bolder than I’d imagined. Almost like the Tory shitshow has given him a real boost to be more ambitious 

He can change tactics now. Boris’s government was populist, and would have hoovered up any idea that looked popular, rebranded it and claimed it as their own, while any idea that looked unpopular would have been thrown back at Starmer.

Truss’s government is different, far more ideological. They won’t accept a Labour idea even if it’s popular, so Starmer is freer to actually put some policies out there.