Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

24 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Doubt it mate, they'll possibly go down but don't think we'll see anything major.

Anyway, a house is a home, think of it as so, better than paying someone elses mortgage renting.

Agree house is a home, but disagree RE house prices. People are underestimating how big a deal the rates rises are going to be. Pushing the levels people will have had their mortgages stress tested to a few years ago. A lot of people simply won’t be able to afford to renew next year unless wages start to rapidly increase, and that in itself would be a problem as it just ensures a wage-price spiral. We do look genuinely ****ed, with no good course of action. Housing crash will be worse than 2008- imo. 

19 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Agree house is a home, but disagree RE house prices. People are underestimating how big a deal the rates rises are going to be. Pushing the levels people will have had their mortgages stress tested to a few years ago. A lot of people simply won’t be able to afford to renew next year unless wages start to rapidly increase, and that in itself would be a problem as it just ensures a wage-price spiral. We do look genuinely ****ed, with no good course of action. Housing crash will be worse than 2008- imo. 

I’ve always thought if house prices drop by 40-50%, they’ll just be hoovered up long before it gets to that level. Especially as we already have a lack of housing in this country and we have upper classes who need investments. 

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I’ve always thought if house prices drop by 40-50%, they’ll just be hoovered up long before it gets to that level. Especially as we already have a lack of housing in this country and we have upper classes who need investments. 

Yeah you may well be right there. Bankers can own all of the houses and the rest of us can all rent 😅

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Switched most of my mortgage accounts to 5 year fixed rates earlier this year and although they were more expensive than before for once I feel like I've been very fortunate

I fixed for 3 years til July 2025. I'll try and overpay some chunks to get ahead of myself. All being well, if I stress test to about 5% interest (double my current rate) I should still be paying the same.

I am never moving though. Too risky. 

2 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

So where is Reeves going to recruit all these thousand of health workers from, Africa. 

by using the money generated from tax increases at the top rate of tax, to fund extra places on medical courses at UK Universities. 

The 45p top rate of income tax is coming back.

Here’s what we will do with that money.

The next Labour government will double the number of district nurses qualifying every year. We will train more than 5,000 new health visitors. We will create an additional 10,000 nursing and midwife placements every year.

More than that: We will implement the biggest expansion of medical school places in British history doubling the number of medical students so our NHS has doctors it needs.

It's all in the link I shared if you want to read it. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-63029266

A spokesperson said: "In the light of the current global economic situation, we know that the cost of inputs has gone up, which might make it more difficult for farmers to both improve the natural environment and underpin food production, so we will continue our engagement with the sector to make sure the outcomes that the British people want to see are delivered."

You know what would really make it more difficult for farmers and be an outcome unwelcome to the British people? Having land in the near future no longer arable because it's either dustbowl or otherwise environmentally contaminated.

And that's a purely economic argument and saying nothing about the ethics of preserving the natural environment, even in tough times, being a good thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

by using the money generated from tax increases at the top rate of tax, to fund extra places on medical courses at UK Universities. 

The 45p top rate of income tax is coming back.

Here’s what we will do with that money.

The next Labour government will double the number of district nurses qualifying every year. We will train more than 5,000 new health visitors. We will create an additional 10,000 nursing and midwife placements every year.

More than that: We will implement the biggest expansion of medical school places in British history doubling the number of medical students so our NHS has doctors it needs.

It's all in the link I shared if you want to read it. 

What I meant was, there aren’t that number of people wanting those jobs in Britain. 

6 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

What I meant was, there aren’t that number of people wanting those jobs in Britain. 

Probably because the profession has been made very unattractive by this government? 25K nurses left the profession in just the last year https://nursingnotes.co.uk/news/figures-reveal-sharp-rise-in-nurses-and-midwives-quitting-the-profession/

There's also 100k vacancies in the NHS.

This government has consistently shown nothing but utter contempt to the NHS and healthcare workers and that's before you even get to the COVID response

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

in the light of climate change, and energy security it is an irrelevance.

And Labour made clear their intentions to the immediate energy crisis clear in August - https://labour.org.uk/press/keir-starmer-sets-out-labours-plan-to-address-the-tory-cost-of-living-crisis/

And today as the FT published this morning/last night, they are announcing their green investment plans today - https://www.ft.com/content/331a0465-4125-49d7-bf79-d4eaf90ce60c