Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

i'm not really into such conspiracy theories but I am starting to wonder if they got Truss just to try and push through as much right wing shit as they can before losing the next GE. Impossible to believe they thought she was more likely than Johnson to win an election.

Frankly I think a lot of the motivation at the moment is culture war and ideology related, both among Conservative MPs and the membership. I mean they’ve blatantly given up on fiscal competence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

The nationalisation of rail should never ever come as a commitment before energy and water nationalisation in my opinion (And these articles do not suggest it is on the agenda), but let me be clear, I am not lamabasting Labours decision to nationaloise the rail network to promote the Tories, this is impossible with recent actions, but surely such a stance is obvious?

Finishing on a positive, I do very much applaud the move to 19m insulate homes as this has long been neglected, and it should make a difference  

Anyway, said my bit,  its not like Labour can't be worse than these Tories and a change is surely required.

so you support nationalising energy and water BEFORE the railways?

Fair enough, i cant argue with you there.

4 hours ago, ozleicester said:

so you support nationalising energy and water BEFORE the railways?

Fair enough, i cant argue with you there.

Well I support nationalising energy and water as critical human rights, railway less so, purely because it’s not a total coverage requirement.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

It won’t, comparing her or even Slavini to Mussolini is for the fairies. 
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMF8ydQ4q/

The same methodology? No, it's a different era.

The same outcome? There's no reason whatsoever to be so certain of that, especially given the last few years and the world will only get more unstable as temperatures rise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The same methodology? No, it's a different era.

The same outcome? There's no reason whatsoever to be so certain of that, especially given the last few years and the world will only get more unstable as temperatures rise.

It’s about as certain as the Greens not winning our next election. Though I think we are seeing a shift to the right in mainland Europe. Due in the main to mass immigration, but how far that momentum will go is question. 

10 hours ago, Daggers said:

The funny thing is, as you probably know, the immigration policy that they have introduced is resulting in a significant increase in net migration. It's now more difficult for EU nationals to come to this country but it is much much easier for non-EU nationals to come to this country. People who voted for Brexit to reduce the amount of immigration and to 'take back control' are in for a rude awakening. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

It’s about as certain as the Greens not winning our next election. Though I think we are seeing a shift to the right in mainland Europe. Due in the main to mass immigration, but how far that momentum will go is question. 

And I'm sure many people around ninety years ago thought similarly.

I'll be honest, when I see folks downplaying such issues (and it's not the only issue of that type), it's usually because they're reasonably sure it won't affect them personally anyway. Now, I can understand that - empathy rarely goes beyond ones line of sight - but in todays world, IMO that's not an excuse for it, given what it can and has resulted in.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

The funny thing is, as you probably know, the immigration policy that they have introduced is resulting in a significant increase in net migration. It's now more difficult for EU nationals to come to this country but it is much much easier for non-EU nationals to come to this country. People who voted for Brexit to reduce the amount of immigration and to 'take back control' are in for a rude awakening. 

Still definitely not Brexit’s fault that the UK’s debt is spiralling out of control more than EU countries that we used to consider poorer than us though…

Still yet to see a single genuine benefit from Brexit and this utopia we were supposed to have after saving all this money we were putting into the EU…

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

You are probably right,  the problem though is that it is the right, with their climate denial, that will increase migration around the world.    With more migration,  the right will push on it ever further with the inevitable consequence.   They have no humanitarian answer to mass migration,  so will resort to ever more non humanitarian methods.

• Like 4

Winning the war in the Ukraine is a critical objective - suffering the difficulties which that has brought is necessary if a threat to international stability on European borders is to be eliminated. Putin did not just invade Ukraine, he declared a covert war on Europe - so that our support of the Zelensky government is our contribution to winning this war.

However, this ramshackle remains of the highjacked-by-Brexit Tory party is forgetting its duty to the British people is its priority. And, by British people, I don't mean Tory Party members, energy company executives and shareholders or executive level bankers.

Truss supports the Ukraine, favours allowing the finance sector a free hand to reap whatever profits they can squeeze out of  the now struggling sector of our population, and is allowing the energy sector a similar carte blanche.

The insanity of tax cuts all-round and energy handouts for those who don't need it is another Tory policy taken to the extreme - to please Tory hard-line supporters - a tiny minority of UK citizens.

So funding will largely depend on borrowing, which given the inane fiscal policy the Cabinet is implementing atm, will attract punitive interest rates. Any lender can see that the government of this country is in tatters, so they can demand high returns on their loans.

This isn't responsible government - it's a kind of playpen for adults whose prejudices and warped beliefs allow them the immorality to play with people's wellbeing and their aspirations. No one in a first-world country who is in employment should be faced to be scratting around to pay for heat, food, water and clothing. And those who aren't in employment - we had a social welfare system that took care of them. 

It appears that rhetoric is taking the place of logic. I trust that a Labour government will ensue come next election, but they will have a huge task ahead of them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

You are probably right,  the problem though is that it is the right, with their climate denial, that will increase migration around the world.    With more migration,  the right will push on it ever further with the inevitable consequence.   They have no humanitarian answer to mass migration,  so will resort to ever more non humanitarian methods.

23 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Absolutely. We all thought it was unbearable during the heatwave this week. Now imagine that for say, 8-9 months of the year. Wouldn't you want to move somewhere else?

Climate change will push people to other countries in far greater numbers than the lure of NHS, a job in a kebab shop and bedsit in Soho ever could. 

This. The gun, the bomb and whatever other horrors finish what the Earth starts. Until it finishes the job on a broken and scattered human populace, anyway.

I can't understand why so many people cannot see that outcome or consider it a possibility.

• Like 3