Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

That was a very good speech by Starmer. I thought so anyway. 

Pretty much ticked every box for where I sit politically. For someone who was too young to vote when Blair was in charge, it’s nice to actually feel a party on my wave length 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LVocey said:

Pretty much ticked every box for where I sit politically. For someone who was too young to vote when Blair was in charge, it’s nice to actually feel a party on my wave length 

I get what you’re saying, I like him a lot and he does sit close to centre which I like. Though I’d say he feels closer to Brown than Blair to me politically. I feel like Starmer is more sympathetic to nationalisation of public services than Blair was, even if Blair was a big champion of increasing funding to the NHS.

Edited by Sampson

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I feel like there's been a bit if a shift in recent days as people become tired of having a government that actively makes their lives worse. All the boring culture war stuff of the last decade seems to be falling away.

I really do hope Labour don't shoot themselves in the foot before the next election. The Tories have had free ride these last 12 years, largely due to the fact there hasn't been a credible opposition in that time.

We really do need this awful lot out of power.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

I get what you’re saying, I like him a lot and he does sit close to centre which I like. Though I’d say he feels closer to Brown than Blair to me politically. I feel like Starmer is more sympathetic to nationalisation of public services than Blair was, even if Blair was a big champion of increasing funding to the NHS.

I watched the whole of Starmer's speech and I was glad I did. Although I'm left of Starmer, he's the kind of leader who, hopefully, won't go on an ego trip as Blair did.

Blair would never have considered renationalisation of the 'essential' public services. It's taken over forty years for the electorate to realise that selling off public assets exposes the them to this kind of take-it-or-leave-it skullduggery.

But, although I will vote Labour at the next election, it will be to remove the Tories - they need to think about what they've allowed to happen over the last decade+ and come back with a sense of a learned lesson in humility.

But until PR is introduced I know that here in Bosworth my vote will, unless there's a huge shift to Labour, be of no influence at all. That's not democracy - it's disenfranchisement. Every vote should count as representation in Parliament. That way no one party would have the ability to enact laws which aren't in the general interest of our citizenry. The idea that the 80k members of the Tory Party membership who voted for Liz Truss were allowed to choose the PM for 66m inhabitants of the UK is feudal - no other word so apt.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I feel like there's been a bit if a shift in recent days as people become tired of having a government that actively makes their lives worse. All the boring culture war stuff of the last decade seems to be falling away.

There seems to have been quite a shift in the way that the media are portraying Starmer as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gerblod said:

I watched the whole of Starmer's speech and I was glad I did. Although I'm left of Starmer, he's the kind of leader who, hopefully, won't go on an ego trip as Blair did.

Blair would never have considered renationalisation of the 'essential' public services. It's taken over forty years for the electorate to realise that selling off public assets exposes the them to this kind of take-it-or-leave-it skullduggery.

But, although I will vote Labour at the next election, it will be to remove the Tories - they need to think about what they've allowed to happen over the last decade+ and come back with a sense of a learned lesson in humility.

But until PR is introduced I know that here in Bosworth my vote will, unless there's a huge shift to Labour, be of no influence at all. That's not democracy - it's disenfranchisement. Every vote should count as representation in Parliament. That way no one party would have the ability to enact laws which aren't in the general interest of our citizenry. The idea that the 80k members of the Tory Party membership who voted for Liz Truss were allowed to choose the PM for 66m inhabitants of the UK is feudal - no other word so apt.  

Every vote on what? On each bill in parliament?

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

So if Starmer gets his way and sets up GB energy,  what would happen to the existing UK energy companies, and their workforces?

Well, judging by the damage his announcement of GBE has done to Centrica and their ilk, he could pick them up as a job lot for £50 and integrate them into the fold