Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well, judging by the damage his announcement of GBE has done to Centrica and their ilk, he could pick them up as a job lot for £50 and integrate them into the fold 

So my Centrica shares and my also Centrica final salary pension are not looking too favourable right now?

3 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

He's not nationalising energy companies, he's creating a new Green Energy one owned by the state. The current energy produces will be untouched. Miliband was asked if they were in line on Radio4 and said "no". 

This was my understanding too. It's a more balanced approach than Corbyns nationalise everything in one hit.

24 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

He's not nationalising energy companies, he's creating a new Green Energy one owned by the state. The current energy produces will be untouched. Miliband was asked if they were in line on Radio4 and said "no". 

Fair play, I should have read the small print :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Exactly. It will basically be like a heavily funded start up business 

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Every vote on what? On each bill in parliament?

Nothing to do with Parliamentary activities!

Every vote made by an individual at a General Election should lead to that vote/person having representation in Parliament. If I vote Green at the next election, then, even if another party gets most votes in my constituency, my vote should be added to those cast for the Greens and used to elect a Green MP. - same for all parties which, although attracting a substantial number of votes, at present get little or no voice in the Commons.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gerblod said:

Nothing to do with Parliamentary activities!

Every vote made by an individual at a General Election should lead to that vote/person having representation in Parliament. If I vote Green at the next election, then, even if another party gets most votes in my constituency, my vote should be added to those cast for the Greens and used to elect a Green MP. - same for all parties which, although attracting a substantial number of votes, at present get little or no voice in the Commons.

How do I know if you are voting for the Greens on local or national issues then? There is a disconnect I do agree, but I am not sure this approach changes it in a meaningful way.

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

1 in 4 still willing to vote for them. Wow!! 

We need to stop this change of PM change of policy, mid parliament. Yes they were elected into government in 2019 but they need to be bound to the manifesto at the time of the election. 

No one, 80000 deluded Conservative Party members exempt, voted for this madness. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Livid said:

1 in 4 still willing to vote for them. Wow!! 

We need to stop this change of PM change of policy, mid parliament. Yes they were elected into government in 2019 but they need to be bound to the manifesto at the time of the election. 

No one, 80000 deluded Conservative Party members exempt, voted for this madness. 

Hard to disagree, if you a change of leader does need to occur then whoever comes in must be bound by manifesto commitments. I do get there may be extenuating circumstances, war, covid, but they should not allow rewriting of commitments during 'peace time'

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gerblod said:

I watched the whole of Starmer's speech and I was glad I did. Although I'm left of Starmer, he's the kind of leader who, hopefully, won't go on an ego trip as Blair did.

Blair would never have considered renationalisation of the 'essential' public services. It's taken over forty years for the electorate to realise that selling off public assets exposes the them to this kind of take-it-or-leave-it skullduggery.

But, although I will vote Labour at the next election, it will be to remove the Tories - they need to think about what they've allowed to happen over the last decade+ and come back with a sense of a learned lesson in humility.

But until PR is introduced I know that here in Bosworth my vote will, unless there's a huge shift to Labour, be of no influence at all. That's not democracy - it's disenfranchisement. Every vote should count as representation in Parliament. That way no one party would have the ability to enact laws which aren't in the general interest of our citizenry. The idea that the 80k members of the Tory Party membership who voted for Liz Truss were allowed to choose the PM for 66m inhabitants of the UK is feudal - no other word so apt.  

I was born in bosworth 40 years ago.  It's always been a Tory seat for as long as I've been alive.  

Now I live in Ashby where the Tory MP is guilty of perjury.  I guess NW Leics will remain blue as well given the size of his majority. 

Which is mental when you think that it's main town is coalville, which is the very definition of working class. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bovril said:

I feel like there's been a bit if a shift in recent days as people become tired of having a government that actively makes their lives worse. All the boring culture war stuff of the last decade seems to be falling away.

They are desperately trying to find any scrap of populist rubbish to keep it going. See the Gary Neville/footballers never asked a cap nonsense. They will very much try it with the strike action of the postmen and train staff in the coming month 

The credibility of kwarteng and truss is shot to pieces without some strong action over the next few days and I can’t see what they can do which doesn’t destroy them.  she could sack him but her dabs are all over this unless she can lay the tax cuts firmly at his door 

the markets won’t wait until late November 

The conference next week could be v embarrassing as they cannot simply evade interviews 

the global economy is suffering on the back of our ridiculous calls - it’s sentiment. Whilst we matter not much re size, our actions have highlighted the desperate situation the global economy finds itself. 

this year was pretty desperate already for many businesses - barely keeping their heads above water. The foreign exchange consequences of this sterling drop from 1.15 (which was already awful) to 1.07 will drive a whole quarter of losses, maybe longer depending on credit term lengths.

Pre brexit sterling was 1.48 to the usd and the euro 1.40 - these were not excessive rates at the time (as per when the dollar was around 2 to the pound leading up to the period of the financial crash). so the pound has lost fair value 40% against a dollar that is at least 10% over valued at the moment and 22% against a weakish euro.  it’s safe to say that our currency has lost around 25% of its value over the past 7 years as a global buying tool. That’s incredibly tough for an economy to take when it is a huge nett importer. 

At a time when we needed a steady hand on the tiller and we got a combination of Del Boy and vyvyan from the young ones ………

• Thanks 1