Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

9 minutes ago, Daggers said:

By Tory MPs, no less.

But that’s why she won, she was supported by those who wanted a puppet - and this is the result. My hope is the next government, which ever side they represent, does something to surgically remove the influence of shadow libertarian think tanks from the political process. They are a cancer.

The likes of the Adam Smith Institute can go in a big rocket and be launched off into space. 

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

The likes of the Adam Smith Institute can go in a big rocket and be launched off into space. 

Two of them were given prime commenting slots on Newsnight, last night. No caveat was given about their funding (or obscurity thereof) - due to Tory influence at the editorial level. It’s just not good enough.

28 minutes ago, Dunge said:

The biggest surprise to me is that the membership allowed it.

I’ve always seen myself as more aligned to the Conservative party because they were the party of pragmatism over ideology. It isn’t just the MPs right now that are the problem for the Conservative Party - it’s that the membership actively went and voted for Truss when it was obvious how bad she was. I mean, there isn’t a single reason why she should be in the job. Boris may be a dirty word these days, but he has undeniable charisma. Truss is a big vat of nothing and incompetent with it. It was blatantly obvious to any pragmatist that the only legitimate candidate in the recent ballot - despite his faults - was Rishi Sunak. But the membership voted Useless Truss. I don’t know why, although I’m sure many would speculate, particularly about racism. Maybe also about Sunak being a traitor to Johnson, or being a spoilt rich boy with dodgy taxes, or because he wasn’t talking enough about culture wars. Maybe a combination thereof. But they certainly weren’t voting on the basis of either competence or economic pragmatism.

Obviously I'm a Labour supporters but it seem crazy that Truss got any major posts in government let alone PM. I think back to my own bosses and I can't remember any that projected such cluelessness. 

33 minutes ago, Dunge said:

The biggest surprise to me is that the membership allowed it.

I’ve always seen myself as more aligned to the Conservative party because they were the party of pragmatism over ideology. It isn’t just the MPs right now that are the problem for the Conservative Party - it’s that the membership actively went and voted for Truss when it was obvious how bad she was. I mean, there isn’t a single reason why she should be in the job. Boris may be a dirty word these days, but he has undeniable charisma. Truss is a big vat of nothing and incompetent with it. It was blatantly obvious to any pragmatist that the only legitimate candidate in the recent ballot - despite his faults - was Rishi Sunak. But the membership voted Useless Truss. I don’t know why, although I’m sure many would speculate, particularly about racism. Maybe also about Sunak being a traitor to Johnson, or being a spoilt rich boy with dodgy taxes, or because he wasn’t talking enough about culture wars. Maybe a combination thereof. But they certainly weren’t voting on the basis of either competence or economic pragmatism.

It’s not complicated- was a combination of racism and an attraction of a thatcher lookalike ….

nothing to do with policy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not complicated- was a combination of racism and an attraction of a thatcher lookalike ….

nothing to do with policy 

Of course it is. You've literally had tories on here, mere hours ago, celebrating tax cuts. How is that not to do with policy. 

it’s clear that the govt line on all this is to pretend that the extra unfunded  spending which has drive the markets to a frenzy was all down to the energy subsidies 

and to also state that many countries around the globe are suffering the same problems as we are with currency and debt funding. 

sadly the people conducting any interviews have so far proved to be inept in their economic understanding and allowed them to get away with it. 

15 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Of course it is. You've literally had tories on here, mere hours ago, celebrating tax cuts. How is that not to do with policy. 

I still think tax cuts are a good way to boost the economy, but as I have said before, money needs to be in the pockets of the masses who spend it to make any difference.

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

it’s clear that the govt line on all this is to pretend that the extra unfunded  spending which has drive the markets to a frenzy was all down to the energy subsidies 

and to also state that many countries around the globe are suffering the same problems as we are with currency and debt funding. 

sadly the people conducting any interviews have so far proved to be inept in their economic understanding and allowed them to get away with it. 

Hardly. I've given this morning's whole round a listen now and she absolutely floundered against all lines of questioning. None of the interviewers bought her rehearsed lines about "Putin's war" or any of that crap.

• Like 3

My limited experience of politics have left me with the belief that there are decent people within most major political parties, including the Conservative party.  I believe that those politicians would choose to put their constituents, and the needs of their country, above loyalty to a PM and policies that are doing such harm.

As such the only way I can see out of this crisis without a change of heart from the top is for a vote of no confidence to be tabled by Labour, which could be supported by all other political parties and those Conservative MPs who have the decency to stand up against the policies causing all the damage.  If successful, this would lead to a General Election where the acceptability of the current regime could be voted on the the entire electorate, not just Conservative party members.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

As such the only way I can see out of this crisis without a change of heart from the top is for a vote of no confidence to be tabled by Labour, which could be supported by all other political parties and those Conservative MPs who have the decency to stand up against the policies causing all the damage.  If successful, this would lead to a General Election where the acceptability of the current regime could be voted on the the entire electorate, not just Conservative party members.

No chance, complete Turkeys voting for Xmas scenario.

They won’t get rid of Truss either, it will just annoy the general public further.

2023 is going to be absolutely grim

2 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

My limited experience of politics have left me with the belief that there are decent people within most major political parties, including the Conservative party.  I believe that those politicians would choose to put their constituents, and the needs of their country, above loyalty to a PM and policies that are doing such harm.

They totally cleared the parliamentary Conservative Party of any Liberal element prior to the 2019 GE. The candidates they put up were all 100% Brexiteer Tory Boys and Girls. 

There are no reasonable options left. The membership (well 40% of it) voted for Maggie II over the Asian Billionaire and gave us this absolute horror show of a government.