Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If we use the euro rather than the dollar as a measure of sterling recovery, we are only 1 percent off where we were ahead of last Friday. 

still v weak but now not purely down to the excess unfounded cuts announced 

its possible that some of the city people have realised that their actions are potentially creating a scenario where their party gets absolutely trounced in eighteen months and they’re making a judgment. So much of what happens is sentiment. If the pound is being oversold then others jump on the bandwagon … it’s how many of the algorithms work in addition to human trader actions 

of course the majority in the city simply care about themselves and nothing else …. But the actions of a few can be consequential, especially if they are bigger beasts ….

The bonus caps have been removed and everyone involved has made the incredible amounts of money they wanted to by shorting the pound. The recovery was always inevitable but the damage the last week has done cannot be understated.

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

So it’s emerged Starmer intends to stop all gas production from the north sea by 2030. I thought he wanted to win the GE. 

So you happy for Gas prices to explode again when Russia/ china or whoever invade another country.  We need to be self sufficient but also we need to not rely on oil and gas where the price is subject to the volatile international markets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I'll bite.

Yes, it's a good thing he wants to pivot to renewables and wean us off natural gas. 

By 2030, in less than 8 years time. Absolute nonsense. And you think the energy and cost of living crisis is bad now. Just wait!  But of course it won’t happen, we’ll still be reliant on gas for at least another 20 years. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

If we use the euro rather than the dollar as a measure of sterling recovery, we are only 1 percent off where we were ahead of last Friday. 

still v weak but now not purely down to the excess unfounded cuts announced 

its possible that some of the city people have realised that their actions are potentially creating a scenario where their party gets absolutely trounced in eighteen months and they’re making a judgment. So much of what happens is sentiment. If the pound is being oversold then others jump on the bandwagon … it’s how many of the algorithms work in addition to human trader actions 

This is because the Bank if England intervened to shore up the gilt market on Weds afternoon by buying up government bonds. The city will just do whatever they can to make the most money, I think the only thing regulating their actions would be if what they are doing is losing them more money somewhere else.

YouTuber Supertanskii has just excelled herself with her latest vlog, darkly suggesting that hedgefunders close to the government got the nudge and the wink before the budget.

Quite chilling if it is true. Corrupt and despicable behaviour on a Russian scale.

While our investments and pensions tank, hyaenas like Rees-Mogg are laughing all the way to their offshore bank.

Please nobody put her on the Birds you fancy on the telly thread, although I admit she is much more attractive than most of the women I have seen on there.

Enjoy!!!

19 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

By 2030, in less than 8 years time. Absolute nonsense. And you think the energy and cost of living crisis is bad now. Just wait!  But of course it won’t happen, we’ll still be reliant on gas for at least another 20 years. 

You seem to have been programmed to think infrastructure needs to take a lifetime to achieve its goals.

8 years is a ****ing long time dude. The right investment, the right drive, the right no ****s given when random country dwellers bitch about their views being ruined, it could be done. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dames said:

The bonus caps have been removed and everyone involved has made the incredible amounts of money they wanted to by shorting the pound. The recovery was always inevitable but the damage the last week has done cannot be understated.

The damage last week was done by the failure to release the OBR report not by the policy, a policy any sensible government would have followed, just as the USA and France have

(The abolition of the 45 rate was stupid and not at all empathic and demonstartes a huge failure to "read the room" but it was worth little to tax revenues compared to other announcements)

It was the "rabbit from the hat" that spooked the markets, something avoided by releasing the report, why the Government did not is anyones guess

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

if the government and banks force the UK into recession (they do control it)... millions...MILLIONS  will lose their job.

In 08-09 in the USA nearly nine million people lost their jobs... the government and scumbag banks do this on purpose.

45 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I'd be a bit apprehensive if Labour actually managed to get 50% of the vote, massive majorities rarely produce good governments. 

Yeah Im with you on that.  Its why id like PR in so partys can hopefully work together a bit more maybe stop the political divide a little.

Its a poll so take it with a pinch of salt.  I doubt we see these translate into the sort election maps currently being shared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

You seem to have been programmed to think infrastructure needs to take a lifetime to achieve its goals.

8 years is a ****ing long time dude. The right investment, the right drive, the right no ****s given when random country dwellers bitch about their views being ruined, it could be done. 

Say that in 4 years time when literally nothing will have been to to alter the infrastruture.

2 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

So you happy for Gas prices to explode again when Russia/ china or whoever invade another country.  We need to be self sufficient but also we need to not rely on oil and gas where the price is subject to the volatile international markets

3 hours ago, Dames said:

Exactly, we are in the situation we are in now because we've not taken many of the opportunities to reduce our reliance on natural gas.

If we continue to be reliant on gas all it will take is another supplier to turn the taps off and it would be a post-apocalyptic scenario. 

This is one argument that's true.

Another is that if the UK and elsewhere continue to be reliant on gas, the time will come rather soon where all the politicking about it will be rendered utterly moot.

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

waiting for @leicsmac to wade in...... 

Hello. :wave:

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

he must be sleeping 😂

Working, more's the pity. :D

Anyway...

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

So it’s emerged Starmer intends to stop all gas production from the north sea by 2030. I thought he wanted to win the GE. 

Needless to say I agree wholeheartedly with Starmer on this one, for reasons that have been made abundantly clear at length on here already.

TL;DR: do it quick now or pay a vastly increased price in materiel and lives later.

Anyhow, we've talked about this before,  but I don't think I've had the most clear idea of your position on the matter. So, if you wouldn't mind...

Do you agree with the scientific consensus on increased carbon dioxide emissions caused by human activity and a commensurate increase in global average temperature?

Assuming the above is accurate, what do you think the consequences of it will be worldwide?

And in light of both of the above, what would your viewpoint on policy for generating energy both in the UK and around the world in future, given that energy generation is by far the biggest cause of global carbon emissions?

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

The damage last week was done by the failure to release the OBR report not by the policy, a policy any sensible government would have followed, just as the USA and France have

(The abolition of the 45 rate was stupid and not at all empathic and demonstartes a huge failure to "read the room" but it was worth little to tax revenues compared to other announcements)

It was the "rabbit from the hat" that spooked the markets, something avoided by releasing the report, why the Government did not is anyones guess

There was no OBR report done to take account of the changes they announced

so there was nothing to be released

the usual thing is to do these things in tandem

the energy subsidy had been announced weeks ago

the NI reversal was expected

the 1p cut to income tax and abolition of the 45p band from next April should have waited until the OBR had crunched the numbers on them - kk behaved like an idiot 

the markets would have probably taken the stamp duty changes 

I haven't really followed the debate but I think moving the UK away from fossil fuels is pretty much universally accepted as a good idea whether for environmental reasons or for security of energy supply. But I'd be happy for the government to grant licenses to exploit hydrocarbons where it isn't causing local harm (like fracking) and makes economic sense. 

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There was no OBR report done to take account of the changes they announced

so there was nothing to be released

the usual thing is to do these things in tandem

the energy subsidy had been announced weeks ago

the NI reversal was expected

the 1p cut to income tax and abolition of the 45p band from next April should have waited until the OBR had crunched the numbers on them - kk behaved like an idiot 

the markets would have probably taken the stamp duty changes 

Not sure how reliable, but the Labour lady on the politics show yesterday reckoned the OBR report was done weeks ago

But....politics...

34 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure how reliable, but the Labour lady on the politics show yesterday reckoned the OBR report was done weeks ago

But....politics...

I read that this was a preliminary report i believe.  Could be wrong though.

Think this is why the markets reacted as they did, Tax cuts and energy price capping without thorough reports to show how it was being financed.  Got to remember that with borrowing/debt all seems fine until that last straw that breaks the camels back so whilst its true to say that the 45p tax cut is not costing an awful lot of money, at some stage borrowing more becomes unsustainable. 

Announcing that borrowing without at least a pretty clear budget/estimate for doing so is naive to say the least.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

But....politics...

It wasn’t - they had no idea about the proposed tax changes 

I believe that they had done a report 7 sept based on the NI reversals (and possibly the CT changes) as these had been trailed through the campaign 

Confirmed by the chair this morning btw 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

I read that this was a preliminary report i believe.  Could be wrong though.

Think this is why the markets reacted as they did, Tax cuts and energy price capping without thorough reports to show how it was being financed.  Got to remember that with borrowing/debt all seems fine until that last straw that breaks the camels back so whilst its true to say that the 45p tax cut is not costing an awful lot of money, at some stage borrowing more becomes unsustainable. 

Announcing that borrowing without at least a pretty clear budget/estimate for doing so is naive to say the least.

I can’t decide what I think is more likely - that they haven’t done their homework properly but rushed it through… or that they have costed it all and know that it doesn’t work but pressed on regardless