Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

47 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Think of the battering Milliband got for looking uncomfortable with the media and how much Starmer gets berated for not being charismatic. Yet we end up with this clown. She literally sounds like a child in high school who doesn't fancy it being asked to read to the class

39 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

academic gifts do not preclude thickiness

I agree but I'm not defending her as I dont think she is fit to lead, just mentioning what I did in the interests of balance.

She probably should have got done a research job in a university of something, thats probably what would have suited her skillset better.

36 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

There's a word that aptly describes this type of politics. And it isn't very nice at all, but it is exactly where this lot are heading rapidly.

It's already fascism.   Protests up and down the country yesterday from #enoughisenough can you see it being reported anywhere?

People being arrested around the queen's funeral for holding up cardboard signs.  

Right to protest clamped down on.

Rwanda immigration policy. 

I just hope that when we get the chance, we vote for a change. 

Assuming people can actually vote and have their ID's ready!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

It's quite crazy to me that many Brits regard our country as a "leading democracy", just think about this for a second, we have a Monarchy imposed on us, we have an upper chamber of lords who are appointed usually through secret handshakes with no say from the public, we have an "elected" chamber of 650 greasy pole climbers who are mostly parachuted in to say yes to the leader, forming a government that gets 100% of the power with as little as 35% of the public vote, who for their entire time in the government cycle can do practically whatever they want because they have a majority. 

We are in a situation now where we have had 3 utterly incompetent leaders in 3 about 3 years, and there is literally nothing the public can do about it because the opposition parties don't have the votes to take them down, the only way to get enough votes is for conservatives to vote against their own party and government to force an election, of which most of those conservatives will never do because they will lose their highly paid job. The ultimate corrupted incentive to keep themselves in power.
Our entire democracy hangs on the balance of corrupt people not being corrupt, in a system that perpetually incentivises corruption. 

The UK is pretty much a failed state at this point, and we have to sit and accept it. It's times like these I wish the UK public were more like the French. 

Said it before, but our democracy was built for the 1700s when it took days or weeks to get to London on horseback from northern Scotland or western Ireland and has never been updated - that's why we have this weird FPTP consistuency "local election" model that the rest of the western world abandoned about a century ago. The idea was, in the days before mass communication, you'd nominate someone in your local consistuency to send to London every year to tell them how it was going in your area (a job which no one wanted and everyone hated back in the day btw) and that's why the model exists. 

It's quite clearly ridiculously unfit for purpose in the 21st century. We have just about the least democratic voting system in the west.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

It's alright they'll pull a random demographic out of their magic hat to demonise come the next election and so many will lap it up from certain tabloid rags and still vote for them.

Postmen and train staff are going to increasingly be demonised for sure. They will probably make Trans rights as an issue by the time Of the next election 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Thought people weren't allowed higher wages as it drives up inflation? 

Patriotic party innit? Want the best for are peepul!

Imagine what it would be like if they didn't think of us first.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

This is amazing. 

At 8.50am I was in an alright job. 

I've just read this tweet and applied for a job that I'm under-qualified and definitely not right for, but I got it! And now I'm instantly rich!!! I've tripled my salary and now earn well into 6 figures! Suck on that you poor peasants! 

Actual madness from a chair of a party. Putting his stupidity to one side, surely there are people paid very well to check this stuff.  And yet they all thought it was fine for him to say that. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes

34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is amazing. 

At 8.50am I was in an alright job. 

I've just read this tweet and applied for a job that I'm under-qualified and definitely not right for, but I got it! And now I'm instantly rich!!! I've tripled my salary and now earn well into 6 figures! Suck on that you poor peasants! 

Liz? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

And people who are carers, who are having to do so to make up for shortfalls in the social care system 

they’re not the target demographic……

That’s pretty much a tebbit ‘Get on yer bike’ moment 

it didn’t do him much harm 

they are retreating within, sticking on their hard hats, and hoping that their core support come in around them ….