Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

A phrase my dad’s always used about the FA’s refusal to hire Clough as England boss because he would have done his own thing instead of what the FA wanted: “to them, there’s apparently something more important than winning”.

Another phrase coined by Stephen Fry a few years ago, “I believe one of the greatest human failings is to prefer to be right than to be effective”. 

Both are extremely applicable to Corbyn’s era IMO. 

Corbyn Never had an era,he though  was an error...

He’s both right and wrong about wfh

Right in that I’d expect that not 1 of us can say hand on heart they go all out every minute of every working day.

Wrong in that he doesn’t take into account the flexibility wfh brings, being able to do some chores go for a walk clear your head and such like which then puts you in a better frame of mind and the work you do do is of a higher quality.

What he’s tripping into is it doesn't work for local economics and he is right, all the pop up coffee, sandwich type stalls/vans, the office trade for the established restaurant, pubs and shops will be getting hit hard and they are the oil for the economy really, the average town even city centre is suffering with lower footfall.

There will be winners, hairdressers and Gyms for example will have a bigger window of opportunity to capture the office workforce who would normally try and squeeze a cut at the w/end or after work session which is then generally busier and not as enjoyable because of hanging around etc 

23 hours ago, Lionator said:

I know he’s not popular on these pages but he completely gets it like no other top level politician I’ve listened to. 

His plan for taxation in the same interview is also sensible. We reduce tax on workers, increase tax on wealth and introduce a land value tax to essentially either stop people hoarding land, or if they do, ensure they’re paying their fair share. 

If he was in leader I'd have no doubt who I'm voting for at the election and I'd re join the party 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I read something earlier in which he was described as 'a Viz character', which I thought was bang on

Viz Comic on Twitter: "There's a brand new Viz in the shops tomorrow, so  today's your last chance to buy Viz 268 and read 'A Trip to the Bog with Jacob  Rees-Mogg'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

He really does live in the 19th century doesn’t he?

I would say being so enslaved to a rose-tinted idea of the past rather than looking to the future is merely incredibly sad if the man didn't actually have power to shape state policy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

He really does live in the 19th century doesn’t he?

Remind me of an old work colleague who used to print out emails they received and passed them to people instead of forwarding them.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Yeah, this bloke doesn't do any actual work or play any meaningful role in government does he?

Minister for 'Government Efficiency' yet he's got civil servants printing off all his emails. Beggars belief.

18 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Remind me of an old work colleague who used to print out emails they received and passed them to people instead of forwarding them.

Not only is it ridiculously backward, it's a waste of resources.

Jack Munroe is sueing Lee Anderson for libel. 

I should be firmly in the corner of Munroe but she's a tedious tool. Her inflated sense of superiority is galling. 

Even this lawsuit has been elevated to a grandstand of self elected moral high ground.

Well done Jack. You're better than everyone else. 

Tearing up the NI protocol may actually be the straw that breaks the camels back for a lot of people. More so than party gate. The one thing Johnson had on his side was Brexit. If his ‘oven ready deal’ actually turned out to be false then that will have massive consequences for him. 

42 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Tearing up the NI protocol may actually be the straw that breaks the camels back for a lot of people. More so than party gate. The one thing Johnson had on his side was Brexit. If his ‘oven ready deal’ actually turned out to be false then that will have massive consequences for him. 

I think it'll only backfire in the sense that people are long bored of Brexit and will think they should be focussing on the cost of the living. The actual details of the deal and protocol are unimportant to most people

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lionator said:

for all those of you on here struggling, it’s your fault because you don’t work hard enough. 

What a complete and utter fool. How do these people get voted in. Noticed she also claimed over 200k in expenses last year too. Disgusting. It's about time these expenses were looked at. They are taking the piss out of all of us. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lionator said:

for all those of you on here struggling, it’s your fault because you don’t work hard enough. 

Beggars belief, how are pensioners going to work more hours or move to a better job?  

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Arrogant and offensive.

These people will just do as they please. Honestly, it's time for a Robespierre demonstration of public unrest. 200k of free money and folk feeling the pinch should just get a better job. It makes me sick.

9 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Arrogant and offensive.

These people will just do as they please. Honestly, it's time for a Robespierre demonstration of public unrest. 200k of free money and folk feeling the pinch should just get a better job. It makes me sick.

It's a fair point, though given what happened to Robespierre (head chopped off, military dictator and two decades of war), perhaps let's hope the overall outcome isn't similar.

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's a fair point, though given what happened to Robespierre (head chopped off, military dictator and two decades of war), perhaps let's hope the overall outcome isn't similar.

I thought the work as a French official way preceded the reign of terror? 

Wasn't it insurrection - holding to account of corrupt monarchy/government - attempted suicide - execution in relatively short space of time?