Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The M People aren't happy

Also Heather Small's son just got elected as a Labour councillor. lol

You couldn't make it up. This lot are hilariously thick.

7 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Why can't they simply draw on the extensive bank of optimistic right wing pop hits?

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I don’t know what makes you think I’m a Labour supporter? I’ve voted LibDem/SDP more times than any other party. I’m certainly all set to vote Labour atm as they’re by far the most credible choice to form a government but they’re not “my” team, unlike yours. Politics shouldn’t work that way.

But it is like that, if you’re on the right of the political spectrum you’re Conservative, I would put all the other relevant parties to the left. That’s how it is, surely. 

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

There is nothing cruel about securing our boarders against illegal immigration. It has to be stopped. What do you suggest? How can this country carry on taking 30 40k channel crossers every year and providing hotel accommodation and housing at taxpayers expense, the cost btw is around 5million a day and growing. 

Dictionary definition:

Cruel: "willfully causing pain or suffering to others, or feeling no concern about it".

How exactly is a policy that inflicts suffering on people wanting a better life not cruel? Some can argue that it's a matter of dreadful necessity because of limited resources and that argument has at least some merit, but let's not pretend that it's in any way a benevolent act - at best, it's an act of evil done for the sake of a possible greater good (and that is a matter of real debate because it's by no means certain or proven).

NB. Still waiting for you to get back to me regarding your thoughts on climate policy.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

Pretty clear Truss is already toast.

I think the conservatives have two options.

a) stick with her and hope they don’t get annihilated in next election (they will)

b) Chuck her out, bring in Rishi (without another leadership contest) with the promise of an election in 12 months (to try and quieten what would be loud voices for one immediately), once the economy has settled. If they can make that happen pre-election and really turn up the heat on Labour being a risk to the economy (harder to argue these days but still a pre-conception in many voters heads), they stand a chance of scraping a hung parliament in their favour.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

The M People aren't happy

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Always astonishes me at how little research/asking of permission politicians do before picking their walk-on music for speeches or party broadcasts.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Dictionary definition:

Cruel: "willfully causing pain or suffering to others, or feeling no concern about it".

How exactly is a policy that inflicts suffering on people wanting a better life not cruel? Some can argue that it's a matter of dreadful necessity because of limited resources and that argument has at least some merit, but let's not pretend that it's in any way a benevolent act - at best, it's an act of evil done for the sake of a possible greater good (and that is a matter of real debate because it's by no means certain or proven).

NB. Still waiting for you to get back to me regarding your thoughts on climate policy.

We need to secure our boarders, and reduce net immigration. Let’s try asking them to stop coming here because we’re running out of hotels, shall we?

As for the climate policy, I’d be in favour of it provided It doesn’t further impact our economy and I can continue heating my house with gas, and driving a petrol driven car. I’m frankly just as concerned about the environment, issues like the terrible toll plastic waste is having on marine life in seas and oceans, not assisted by the billions of cheap Chinese plastic face masks. 

4 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

We need to secure our boarders, and reduce net immigration. Let’s try asking them to stop coming here because we’re running out of hotels, shall we?

I'm all for sealing off the boarding schools, such as Eton. Don't ever let them out to ruin the country.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

As for the climate policy, I’d be in favour of it provided It doesn’t further impact our economy and I can continue heating my house with gas, and driving a petrol driven car. I’m frankly just as concerned about the environment, issues like the terrible toll plastic waste is having on marine life in seas and oceans, not assisted by the billions of cheap Chinese plastic face masks. 

Not really answering the point I made regarding cruelty, but go off I guess.

WRT climate points made here, is there a particular reason you're wedded to the idea of a gas-fired boiler and petrol-driven car, when soon enough other solutions are a.) More efficient and work better anyway and b.) A lot less likely to result in a situation where your inaction is indirectly responsible for the death and suffering of hundreds of millions of people?

NB. Economies don't mean much when the food you're trying to buy won't grow and the water is either nowhere to be found or poisoned. I have no idea why some folks are shocked at the idea of plastic pollution (when yes, it is shocking) but completely downplay carbon emissions when they are as significant if not more of an environmental threat. (Actually, I do know why - it's most often because changing the latter means their own lives may be affected and they're all about the short-term self interest.)

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Simply not true. Out Country is one of the least populated in Developed Europe. Housing them in hotels etc without providing proper integrated immigration support is Government policy, which a less racist Government could easily overcome.

Sure, Plastic is a massive issue, but it's bottom of the rung when it comes to wider environmental and ecological issues. It just gets pushed by Governments as a 'huge issue' because it's one of the easiest and cheapest to solve and makes it look like they care/are taking action.

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Not really answering the point I made regarding cruelty, but go off I guess.

WRT climate points made here, is there a particular reason you're wedded to the idea of a gas-fired boiler and petrol-driven car, when soon enough other solutions are a.) More efficient and work better anyway and b.) A lot less likely to result in a situation where your inaction is indirectly responsible for the death and suffering of hundreds of millions of people?

NB. Economies don't mean much when the food you're trying to buy won't grow and the water is either nowhere to be found or poisoned. I have no idea why some folks are shocked at the idea of plastic pollution (when yes, it is shocking) but completely downplay carbon emissions when they are as significant if not more of an environmental threat. (Actually, I do know why - it's most often because changing the latter means their own lives may be affected and they're all about the short-term self interest.)

If that day arrives I may well be more embracing, but currently Petrol engine cars are far superior to anything electric, imo.  That may change, hopefully in time it will. As for heating my home with gas. My mothers house has an electric air source heat pump. She complains that on cold days it doesn’t warm the house sufficiently, though honestly I would say it does. However, what is not in dispute is that her electricity bill last year was 35% more than my combined electric and gas and our home is bigger. It also breaks down once or twice a year. Fortunately it belongs to a housing association and they pick up the maintenance bills. So for now, I’ll stick with gas. 

3 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

If that day arrives I may well be more embracing, but currently Petrol engine cars are far superior to anything electric, imo.  That may change, hopefully in time it will. As for heating my home with gas. My mothers house has an electric air source heat pump. She complains that on cold days it doesn’t warm the house sufficiently, though honestly I would say it does. However, what is not in dispute is that her electricity bill last year was 35% more than my combined electric and gas and our home is bigger. It also breaks down once or twice a year. Fortunately it belongs to a housing association and they pick up the maintenance bills. So for now, I’ll stick with gas. 

You make the argument that focusing only on the self and the bottom line in the short term will be the thing that condemns our species very well here.

But I guess that's a (sometimes) human thing - and something a decent government needs to factor in and account for through subsidies, thus not allowing anyone with that particular worldview to have an excuse not to change. This government, and many others, seem incapable of that.

• Like 2