Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

As much as the Conservatives are getting loads wrong right now, I think Labour have to be careful with this phrase “anti-growth coalition”. It’s going to get used a lot. It’s tripe of course, but that’s not the point. It’s also snappy and no word is wasted in achieving what they want it to:

Anti: These people are negative.

Growth: Our key word, demonstrating our positive focus on the economy.

Coalition: It’s us against them. They’re ganging up against our economic drive. If you don’t want the dreaded “them” then it’ll have to be “us”.

Mockery is one thing and I’m sure that will come in spades, but Labour will need to be careful not to play into it too much because it sounds like how the Conservatives will want to present themselves.

It's an absolute mouthful - the antithesis of "get Brexit done" or even "strong and stable" in terms of snappy, three-word phrases to capture the public's imagination.

You're right that Labour always need to be vigilant but it really isn't a phrase to get the pub bores parrotting it for the next two years.

Plus, they're trying to get it going just after the government's plan for growth has been widely panned by the public. Lots of folks will be asking whether she means them, not just the opposition parties, when she spouts it.

Just reading that the government are thinking of capping profits on green and nuclear energy. 

Energy giants hate the idea and would prefer a windfall tax. 

Surely the government are looking at this backwards. Surely we want green energy creation to increase and for energy companies to invest in the infrastructure. 

Cap the profits of fossil fuel created energy so that incentivises them to go green. Or am I being naive? 

Just now, RobHawk said:

Just reading that the government are thinking of capping profits on green and nuclear energy. 

Energy giants hate the idea and would prefer a windfall tax. 

Surely the government are looking at this backwards. Surely we want green energy creation to increase and for energy companies to invest in the infrastructure. 

Cap the profits of fossil fuel created energy so that incentivises them to go green. Or am I being naive? 

Depends. Are you making oodles of profit now and want to keep making more for the moment without green energy advances interfering because you have zero regard for the future?

If you do (as perhaps some of the oil and gas players and the Tory politicians in hock to them do), then this move makes sense.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Depends. Are you making oodles of profit now and want to keep making more for the moment without green energy advances interfering because you have zero regard for the future?

If you do (as perhaps some of the oil and gas players and the Tory politicians in hock to them do), then this move makes sense.

17 hours ago, Daggers said:

They really can’t organise a piss up in a brewery.

88879EC4-715C-424B-B0F1-3ECEAAF1CDEC.jpeg

16 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Penny pinching

Have you seen the price of rail travel these days 🤣

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Daggers said:

D78B9056-A116-4043-AF5E-483B7A388D39.jpeg

If the government are serious about reducing drug crime, I would hit the middle class users that have normalised the taking of them.

As soon as a few MPs, solicitors, investment bankers etc start getting criminal sentences things may start to change. Walking round the streets giving £60 fines for possession to working class people is a pointless exercise.

• Like 1

I don't take drugs and I do believe in legalisation, control and taxation. However, it does my head in when I'm at a party and my educated friends are sneering about "chavs" while doing the exact same things. 

"Well, my dealer wears a suit and reads books. He's different to those criminal ones."