Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

36 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

This is operating on the assumption that the sole definition of "success" is material wealth and that is the only thing a human can or should aspire to. I'm not sure that's accurate.

Health and wealth. In that order. 

I do wonder whether there will be a split in the Conservative Party, with those more towards the centre wondering whether the only way they keep their seat in next election is to form a new party along the Australian Teal party lines?

Would cause some wonderful chaos!

11 hours ago, weller54 said:

😂😂.. brilliant!!

Couldn't imagine The Queen saying that!..

Good on ya Charles.

It’s easy for Charles to publicly mock though from his position of privilege and entitlement. He needs to rein it in and conduct himself like his mother did in public. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, LVocey said:

I do wonder whether there will be a split in the Conservative Party, with those more towards the centre wondering whether the only way they keep their seat in next election is to form a new party along the Australian Teal party lines?

Another u turn on corporation tax incoming. 

49 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

For a majority of successful hard working high earning people, it is - we don’t live on a kibbutz 

the idea that people who earn 100k+ are mega wealthy is easy to state but simply not true ….

Right, but the very existence of those alternate systems proves that is isn't necessarily the only way to live and humanity to aspire to.

16 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Health and wealth. In that order. 

I would agree there.

50 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

For a majority of successful hard working high earning people, it is - we don’t live on a kibbutz 

the idea that people who earn 100k+ are mega wealthy is easy to state but simply not true ….

Exactly - especially with the tax trap between 100k-125K - you lose 62% of it!! And if your partner doesn't work (for example) you are far worse off that two people earning £50K - which these days is easily achievable. You start to lose child benefit over £50K, tax free childcare over £100K. They should put the HR tax band from £80K, no chance that would ever get through parliament - completely unaffordable unfortunately.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LVocey said:

I don't think there will be a split anytime soon but its certainly more like the labour party or Conservatives before the Brexit vote now. 

Cannot see them coming together anytime soon either.  If when the budget reports hit at the end of October things are not going well I can see Truss being at a very real risk of being moved on if she doesn't back down and sack Kwasi.

42 minutes ago, Captain... said:

To have more money. The more you earn the more you pay in tax the more you take home. Everyone's a winner. 

I do not get this argument that paying 45% or 50% or even 60% is going to disincentivise top earners.

"No thanks boss, I don't want a £300,000 salary, I'll pay too much tax. I'll just turn down this promotion and stay on £35,000 so I only have to pay 20% in tax."

My clear point is - the tax rates are too high, I've never turned down promotions to earn less. It's just massively frustrating.

29 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

It’s easy for Charles to publicly mock though from his position of privilege and entitlement. He needs to rein it in and conduct himself like his mother did in public. 

He probably tried...

Then he saw her pathetic face and couldn't help himself 😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

I don't think there will be a split anytime soon but its certainly more like the labour party or Conservatives before the Brexit vote now. 

Cannot see them coming together anytime soon either.  If when the budget reports hit at the end of October things are not going well I can see Truss being at a very real risk of being moved on if she doesn't back down and sack Kwasi.

I think they are both toast. Tory MPs know labour are a shoe in if theres a GE so will need to do something quick to grasp onto power. Either way its a shambles, this wouldn't of happened under Sunak.

58 minutes ago, Captain... said:

To have more money. The more you earn the more you pay in tax the more you take home. Everyone's a winner. 

I do not get this argument that paying 45% or 50% or even 60% is going to disincentivise top earners.

"No thanks boss, I don't want a £300,000 salary, I'll pay too much tax. I'll just turn down this promotion and stay on £35,000 so I only have to pay 20% in tax."

Especially as making the poor poorer is meant to encourage them to work harder.

AB21AB15-6B79-4B5D-A75A-55F424BC96CA.jpeg

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

Liz truss making Jacob Rees Mogg look like a progressive.  Thats almost impressive.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/13/liz-truss-on-collision-course-with-jacob-rees-mogg-over-solar-power-ban 

That's some serious conflicted messaging coming out of JRM's office. What gives, I wonder?

In any case, Truss is incredibly short sighted in both distance and time in thinking that "energy security" is the biggest issue on this matter, even now. So she's obviously wrong.

3 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Exactly. What Charles did is very different to what some of the MPs, such as Rees-Mogg have done, with their comments about people. Those MPs aren't in a position of privilege and entitlement. They may be millionaires who don't have to worry but they're also elected. It's very different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Deranged 

how could they go to the polls this autumn ? 
their only chance would be to ditch truss and reappoint boris 

not going to happen !! (Yet)

If they can't get their budget through parliament, they wouldn't have a choice, would they? Maybe this is what they are expecting to happen?

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

My clear point is - the tax rates are too high, I've never turned down promotions to earn less. It's just massively frustrating.

Tax rates are tax rates, a higher tax rate is no disinsentive to succeed. You earn more you pay more you take more home. I agree about the 100-125k bracket that just makes sense. You can argue they are too high, but you can't say higher taxes on higher earners discourages success