Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

45 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Tory MP starts to understand what the UK general public have been feeling for the last 12 years.

Bloody hell, don't give the government ideas or alternatives on what the peasants can feast on this Xmas... 

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Tax rates are tax rates, a higher tax rate is no disinsentive to succeed. You earn more you pay more you take more home. I agree about the 100-125k bracket that just makes sense. You can argue they are too high, but you can't say higher taxes on higher earners discourages success

I assume he means higher percentage rates on higher earnings …..

I don’t think many have an issue with 45p above 150k.  

once you start taking more than half peoples earnings off them in income tax then I do believe that is a diss incentive

13 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

c89f2585-c3e9-4876-9ec3-ecd85a2dec39.png

$/£ Spike when rumours of u-turn on mini-budget reversal.  Obviously not correlated to government policy as this s**t storm is 100% down to global forces and not policy...

It is so clear - the graphical evidence from 23-26th sept is unambiguous 

I expected the spike on the back of media noise and tried to buy some dollars because I read no 10 had distanced themselves from the noise

By the time the broker had received my email confirmation that cent had gone !   But it’s nothing to do with govt policy - honest! 

So the Country’s government can’t drive through its policies now without the approval of the left and world 

financiers. Whether me or anyone else agrees with the polices, in this case tax cuts or not. It begs the question, what is the point of National government’s. 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

So the Country’s government can’t drive through its policies now without the approval of the left and world 

financiers. Whether me or anyone else agrees with the polices, in this case tax cuts or not. It begs the question, what is the point of National government’s. 

If what they were proposing aligned with their original manifesto on which the government were elected then it would just be a confirmatory exercise. The different here is they are deviating away from that. This is why Boris called an election, to get a mandate for his manifesto of how to deal with Brexit. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The number of votes needed to vote through any policy in the House of Commons is 326.

The Tories have 356 MPs. They should be able to get through any policy they want, which is why they've been able to get away with so much awfulness in the last 3 years.

The reason Truss has struggled is twofold.

1. She doesn't have a mandate for anything she's doing.

2. She doesn't have a clue about anything she's doing.

This is what has sparked concern in the markets and in her own party - she made unfunded plans that fell apart on the first bit of scrutiny. She's had to U turn on practically everything.

Today is Day 37 of her leadership (27 if you take off 10 days of mourning after she killed the Queen) and she's caused the pound to plummet, the Bank of England to spend billions protecting people's pensions, people's mortgages have skyrocketed, she's created a £62bn black hole in the country's finances. Her Health Secretary is an overweight smoking anti-abortionist, her Home Secretary dreams of deporting asylum seekers to a country they've never been to, her Business Secretary is a Victorian prefect ghost who's decided to frack the countryside against the party's own manifesto, her Chancellor is a former hedge fundie who met with bankers before crashing the pound and then again after crashing the pound to celebrate their windfall from shorting the pound.

It's a bit of a weird flex to blame "the left" for what Truss is solely responsibly for.

What we really need, ASAFP, is a general election to get these absolute clowns out of government.

What he said. 

44 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Maybe they need to think of better policies. 

Maybe you need to look inwards more often and not blame everything else on everything but the Tories. Sometimes it's okay to admit that something or someone you support is wrong and made the wrong judgement(s).

Also, there's probably a good reason world financiers have their concerns about a policy that fvcked its own economy and has an impact on global finances. I'm not fvcking surprised they don't approve of what current government propose. 

Exactly, it's clear @Fazzer 7 is a Tory supporter just think of Truss as Paulo Sousa. Very clear very quickly that it is not going to work. Wanting rid of Sousa didn't mean you weren't a Leicester fan, quite the opposite. It's clear that Liz and Kwasi are absolutely catastrophic to the Tory cause and just driving voters to the Labour party. Any true blues will want this disastrous duo and their motley crew gone as soon as possible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Exactly, it's clear @Fazzer 7 is a Tory supporter just think of Truss as Paulo Sousa. Very clear very quickly that it is not going to work. Wanting rid of Sousa didn't mean you weren't a Leicester fan, quite the opposite. It's clear that Liz and Kwasi are absolutely catastrophic to the Tory cause and just driving voters to the Labour party. Any true blues will want this disastrous duo and their motley crew gone as soon as possible.

Unavoidable conclusion really. As a one time staunch Tory voter, albeit a long time ago, these cannot be backed if the party is to move forward. Their continued move towards being so out of touch reminds of the Corbyn debacle in one sense, as in their determination to become intentionally (?) relevant to the few. Well at least I never felt Corbyn was talking too me anyway, same crap now with these lot. Politics needs a reboot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

That's a more polite analogy than I've been using. I said that supporting the current government as a traditional Conservative voter is like being a die hard Leicester City fan and continuing to support the team after an ill conceived FA directive obliged the club to field a side comprised entirely of sex offenders.

And some people have said that's wrong and even offensive!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Those ‘world financiers’ are the people who control trillions of pounds of investors money - that money may have your and my pension in it.

if the govt of the day is proposing v risky policies then I want those looking after my pension to demand a higher rate of interest when lending my money to said govt. 

if the govt are running an economy in surplus then they won’t need to borrow from the markets and they won’t need the approval of the markets  - they can’t have it both ways. and they’re no different to every govt over the past eight decades. 

Edited by st albans fox

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Unavoidable conclusion really. As a one time staunch Tory voter, albeit a long time ago, these cannot be backed if the party is to move forward. Their continued move towards being so out of touch reminds of the Corbyn debacle in one sense, as in their determination to become intentionally (?) relevant to the few. Well at least I never felt Corbyn was talking too me anyway, same crap now with these lot. Politics needs a reboot.

One theory is that that reboot shouldn't involve the party members voting on the party leader should be.

In very simplistic terms this supposedly means that you get David rather than Ed Miliband, you don't get Corbyn, Johnson or Truss, all of which might have worked out a bit better

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

One theory is that that reboot shouldn't involve the party members voting on the party leader should be.

In very simplistic terms this supposedly means that you get David rather than Ed Miliband, you don't get Corbyn, Johnson or Truss, all of which might have worked out a bit better

Cannot disagree, but it’s  tricky, as that’s just a political pop idol (Oh, I am so old) on every party leader change, because it would need to be a cross party thing too, surely?

24 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Cannot disagree, but it’s  tricky, as that’s just a political pop idol (Oh, I am so old) on every party leader change, because it would need to be a cross party thing too, surely?

I'm no expert on this (or indeed anything other than perhaps Morrissey's solo discography 1988-1997), but I think it's simply down to the rules of each individual party. Letting the membership vote on it is presumably meant to be democratic but the argument for restricting the vote to MPs is that they actually know the candidates, have worked alongside them and know if they're any good.

Johnson, for example, clearly has (or had) some appeal with the public, and the parliamentary Tory party wouldn't have ignored that, but bloody hell you struggle to find anybody that's actually worked with him to give an honest endorsement of him being in charge of anything, so naturally he becomes Prime Minister

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I’m resigned to the next government being a labour one. I live in eternal hope the Tories will turn things around but deep down I know it won’t happen. They’re architects of their own demise and it was avoidable that’s what pi$$es me off. To get big calls on the economy wrong is just plain daft. I get the drive for growth after a decade of stagnation but this wasn’t the right time to cut taxes, especially for the highest earners Any fool could see that, even me. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Today is Day 37 of her leadership (27 if you take off 10 days of mourning after she killed the Queen) and she's caused the pound to plummet, the Bank of England to spend billions protecting people's pensions, people's mortgages have skyrocketed, she's created a £62bn black hole in the country's finances. Her Health Secretary is an overweight smoking anti-abortionist, her Home Secretary dreams of deporting asylum seekers to a country they've never been to, her Business Secretary is a Victorian prefect ghost who's decided to frack the countryside against the party's own manifesto, her Chancellor is a former hedge fundie who met with bankers before crashing the pound and then again after crashing the pound to celebrate their windfall from shorting the pound.

Have I missed something here?