Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

8 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Anybody using the word 'woke' as an insult or in the derogatory is spending too much time with the Daily Mail. The actual definition of woke:

Alert to injustice in society, especially racism

If you are not woke then you are part of the problem. 

Why can't we just say empathy?  :dunno: 

Woke is such a stupid sounding word in this conetxt too me. (Oh no am I part of the problem?!)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

That definition is socially and scientifically more complex than some folks believe it to be (or want it to be, because they have very pointed ideas about what a woman is and what they should do, regardless of the actual consent of women).

Shouldn't the UK then "do nothing about it because the UK's economic footprint is tiny compared to the US/China so it doesn't really matter"?

bUt WoMeNs WeAr DrEsSeS aNd MaKe SaMmIcHeS - tHaT’s WoMeNs. AnD bEwBs. AnD bAbiEs.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

You have to wonder about people who get vexed over definitions and putting others into boxes, eh. You have to be amazed at the emptiness and shallowness of their lives.

Its all very well until some big hairy bloke is trying to get into your box while wearing a dress.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

You have to wonder about people who get vexed over definitions and putting others into boxes, eh. You have to be amazed at the emptiness and shallowness of their lives.

Was this directed at me and my consternation at the use of the unecessary term "woke"? Do hope not as you would be a million miles from accurate! 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Why can't we just say empathy?  :dunno: 

Woke is such a stupid sounding word in this conetxt too me. (Oh no am I part of the problem?!)

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

I'm sure we can use the word empathy. I suspect the word woke was a creation of or at least an adoption of the right wing media used to try and insult anybody with empathy. :dunno:

Its origin is in the civil rights movement in the US isn't it, where it was black people trying to look out for each other.

Don't think i've ever heard its use for anything other then by the right to try and insult those they disagree with.  As you both mention empathy is the word people use but it doesn't sound insulting enough for the right to change the word woke to empathy.

for example if @Fazzer 7 had said instead 'lead to empathetic illiberal authoritarianism under Starmers lot.'  Its shows that its a total contradiction and doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

Its origin is in the civil rights movement in the US isn't it, where it was black people trying to look out for each other.

Don't think i've ever heard its use for anything other then by the right to try and insult those they disagree with.  As you both mention empathy is the word people use but it doesn't sound insulting enough for the right to change the word woke to empathy.

for example if @Fazzer 7 had said instead 'lead to empathetic illiberal authoritarianism under Starmers lot.'  Its shows that its a total contradiction and doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

Thanks, and right you are about the origin - https://www.vox.com/culture/21437879/stay-woke-wokeness-history-origin-evolution-controversy

Will stick with empathy despite its rather antiquated feel :thumbup:

Unless a 'higher power' steps in to remove this government, we're going to have to endure two more years of the   Tory Party, in its manifestation as the party of Little Englanders, inflicting damage to the economic and social fabric of this country.

There are no more serious, intelligent, intellectual and empathic politicians in their ranks - the scum finally has risen to the top of the barrel. This is where Brexit has finally deposited us - laying  on some remote flotsam and jetsam littered shoreline, floundering directionless and waiting for rescue.

Anyone who still believes that the Conservative Party is the natural party of government is seriously deluded. Once Hammond, Gauke and Grieve and their ilk were swept aside by the triumphant Brexiteers the doors were opened to people who put perverse and extreme ideology before reasonable behaviour. The Rwanda nonsense was a warning as to what was coming. 

This is like something out of 'Airplane' - both pilots incapacitated but no one in the passenger seats able to fly a plane - only a bunch of besuited executives who think they can because they've played Xbox flight simulator a couple of times.

How does a country get rid of a catastrophic government? Military coup; a regnal veto; NATO intervention?

It has to be through mass protests by the citizens. Because, unless Truss and Co. are made very aware that, unlike the small majority of eighty thousand people who chose her to lead, the majority of the sixty-six million inhabitants want a responsible government. If not she'll continue with the 'Blunderwoman' antics (apologies to Bella Emberg).

Someone on Stupid TV this a.m. asked Ed Milliband whether Labour's poll lead was down to Starmer's popularity or Truss's unpopularity. Wtf does it matter? You don't ask the firemen outside a burning school to complete a competency questionnaire before tackling the blaze. Ignoring prejudice, anyone with a smidgin of common can see Labour/Starmer are the only sensible alternative RIGHT NOW. 

What we are experiencing now isn't democracy, it's idiocracy.

Edited by gerblod
Clarity of wording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thanks, and right you are about the origin - https://www.vox.com/culture/21437879/stay-woke-wokeness-history-origin-evolution-controversy

Will stick with empathy despite its rather antiquated feel :thumbup:

It's not at all antiquated. The word is current and common in all forms of social interaction where emotions form the dominant discourse - psychology wouldn't exist without the concept of empathy at its core. Keep plugging it.:)

• Like 2

Hate to say it but Cummings was absolutely right about Truss. What a disaster shes been.

I've noticed that MPs are also looking to install Sunak/Mourdaunt. They know full well if they let their loony members vote again we'll end back up with Johnson. 

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

Hate to say it but Cummings was absolutely right about Truss.

Dom is a knob of the highest order in some respects, and has perhaps a over inflated self opinion, but he can read a room and plot a course accordingly. I have almost an admiration even though I doubt I'd actually like him.

• Like 1

What a f**king shambles.  Even The Thick of It showed more competent ministers.

*Edit* Would this make him the shortest served Chancellor since the last one?

Edited by Zear0

16 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Kwasi Kwarteng has been sacked, apparently.

People should take a few before celebrating this crayon eating idiot getting the axe until we find out who the next muppet up to the chopping block is. 

I doubt the phrase things can only get better applies here, ridiculously. 

• Like 1