Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

41 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

They were invited here, they came here legally through proper immigration means I'd imagine, unlike those crossing the channel in small boats who have paid people smugglers thousands of pounds.

I have absolutely no gripe with migration to this country, but it needs to be controlled, surely. 

Patel’s parents came over when there was freedom of movement within the Commonwealth. They weren’t “controlled” immigrants who had to apply for a visa or residency.

From here: https://www.ibtimes.com/priti-patel-mp-new-face-britains-conservative-party-1000142

Patel’s parents (as British passport-holders) arrived in the United Kingdom during a period of intense hostility to Commonwealth immigration.”

Doesn’t that go against “controlled migration”? Isn’t freedom of movement exactly what you keep celebrating has gone with our relationship with the EU?

Edited by Sampson

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Once again, do you have any evidence whatsoever of this?  They have certainly wasted **** loads of cash on PPE etc, but I have seen no actual evidence any decision maker benefitted personally.  If there was any I think this would be much bigger news no?  People being arrested for fraud etc?

Jon, what would you say to the creation of a Research Group and invite particular members of interested MP keen on “research”.  To become a member will come with a joining fee, but don’t worry about that because the joining fee can be claimed back via your expenses in the interest of “research”.

Welcome, my friend, to the secretive European Research Group the right wing cabal of this government with the audacity to get the taxpayer to help fund it.  That. Is. A. Disgrace

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dames said:

3 line whip to vote in favour of fracking. So that's pensioners and NIMBYs they'll have upset in the past 24 hours.

The Tory base is well and truly gone. Especially with the racists flooding back to UKIP, Reclaim and Reform. 

... and anyone vaguely concerned with the welfare of hundreds of millions of people at best and human civilisation itself at worst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The idea that JRMs investment business would lead to him changing policy is up there with him wanting Brexit to benefit his portfolio.  The money he invests is not his, so at most his company takes a tiny fraction of any profit.

Somerset capital, like many others in the space, adopt the '2 and 20' model, 2% of all money invested is due to him in fees and 20% of any profit is his. There is no investment service in the world that can take a 'tiny fraction' of profits made and continue to exist, never mind live the life. JRM is as thick as two short planks, his role at SCM is to provide black edge, brief accordingly and allow those who have a brain cell to front run policy info to trade on it. This is nothing new, hence MPs often get 'external advisor' posts, regulators should clamp down on it but its so difficult to prove.

Once again, do you have any evidence whatsoever of this?  They have certainly wasted **** loads of cash on PPE etc, but I have seen no actual evidence any decision maker benefitted personally.  If there was any I think this would be much bigger news no?  People being arrested for fraud etc?

Get a companies house account and follow the trail. MPs can't benefit personally, they have to declare everything they do. Fortunately we have a fantastically opaque system in the UK where you can take advantage of things like Scottish LPs, BVI investment trusts and fidcuiary services - and an expert industry to serve these needs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Which pretty much means that all back benchers would need to submit letters. There would be govt ministers and junior ministers who will stick one in but they will be limited to those who are confident that they would get a similar role in a new administration. 

If that is Brady’s stance then I feel her position is secure for now (unless she embarks on another batsh1t interview or policy call)