Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

Just now, kenny said:

If you assume the polls are correct, we would have a labour government with the SNP as opposition.

It would be a car crash. The tories need time to improve before a GE so that they can form a decent opposition to what will almost certainly be a labour government.

I am sorry that's just rubbish. The Tories have had 12 years going at this. They don't deserve time to improve - the damage they have caused to this country will kill someone this winter or without exaggeration make someone homeless. 

I'd always advocate democracy and the idea of opposition biting back but it hasn't happened in the last 12 years. The Tories have consistently ran through concerns with their policies. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Anything other than a General Election at this point would be completely morally devoid. I mean, granted that's Tory for you, but even so.

They won't because they'll just continue to tear themselves apart.

There is no candidate that all sides of the party will accept. So they'll just carry on this circus for the next 2 years.

Just now, CosbehFox said:

I am sorry that's just rubbish. The Tories have had 12 years going at this. They don't deserve time to improve - the damage they have caused to this country will kill someone this winter or without exaggeration make someone homeless. 

I'd always advocate democracy and the idea of opposition biting back but it hasn't happened in the last 12 years. The Tories have consistently ran through concerns with their policies. 

Cool, 5 years of a majority of 500 and an opposition that refuses to vote in non Scottish matters it is.

Just now, CosbehFox said:

It's the typical Tory response. 'We need time to make everything good again'...forgetting they're the ones who've created mess after disaster after chaos. And they don't care. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I'm advocating democracy. There is zero justification for them to appoint another PM. 

Except that is how our system works.  We elect mps, the party chooses a leader.  This chaos though will no doubt be punished at the next GE.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

Conservatives stating their horror following the succession of diabolical decisions at the state of….their party. Not first and foremost the state of the country and the affect on it but….their party.
The priority is not turning your snake pit of a party around it’s turning the horrific circumstances forced onto the country by unelected reckless buffoons around. When will they get it, having their face in the trough is not “Serving”, it’s self serving.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Absolute bollocks. The country is currently unsuccessful *because* of the Tories and Brexit. That's why we're in this fvcking situation!

I wouldn't be cheering on any party who'd done this to our country, I'd be wanting the bastards out!

Tories ok ... not sure about Brexit though ...   and I'd add Covid and the war in Ukraine to the list.   

And I won't be cheering any party either cus they're all a bunch of crap imo. 

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

Cool, 5 years of a majority of 500 and an opposition that refuses to vote in non Scottish matters it is.

Why not? We've had 12 years of where the Tory party's opinion wins 95% of governmental motions (we only have to look at yesterday's Fracking vote - which ended up becoming a confidence vote in the existing PM). That 5% of course being Brexit motions. 

We are at the very lowest ebb in my lifetime as a democracy. The issues which are arises today are in the most part creations of the current party in power. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

Except that is how our system works.  We elect mps, the party chooses a leader.  This chaos though will no doubt be punished at the next GE.

They did.

And it failed.

So they've demonstrated they can't pick leaders, they've been completely shit at it.

The mandate has gone, the country overwhelmingly wants them out.

This isn't how our country works, it's how it disfunctions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

Just last night the second Prime Minister for this term put up a three line whip against a manifesto pledge to put a moratorium on fracking. They’re now electing a third Prime Minister on what, you have to assume, is a third different platform. 

The mandate is utterly in shreds. Our parliamentary democracy requires a General Election to confirm a new mandate. 

Yesterday was nuts, no question, but I do think expecting a party to stick to a manifesto pledge regarding energy given the crisis’s we’re in is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Why not? We've had 12 years of where the Tory party's opinion wins 95% of governmental motions (we only have to look at yesterday's Fracking vote - which ended up becoming a confidence vote in the existing PM). That 5% of course being Brexit motions. 

We are at the very lowest ebb in my lifetime as a democracy. The issues which are arises today are in the most part creations of the current party in power. 

Why not indeed. I can't see a single thing wrong with it.

Yesterday was nuts, no question, but I do think expecting a party to stick to a manifesto pledge regarding energy given the crisis’s we’re in is ridiculous.

Well if they have to depart so far from the policy it’s a three line whip against, and two PMs have been ran through, then it’s time for a fresh mandate. 

• Like 1

...is having not even the slightest consideration for the future simply because present times are a little bit tough not ridiculous, then?

That lack of foresight leads to no good end.

12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

They hate the Tories more than they want a successful country.  It’s been a thing also since Brexit imo.  I always want the UK to succeed.

I'm going to ignore the first bit as it's totally deluded. 

The truth is, Jon, if you really wanted the UK to succeed then rather than die on your little partisan hill, you wouldn't - much like the rest of us - have any faith in the current crop of Conservatives. I know you live in Australia, but have you actually been watching what's happening here over the last six months? Your take suggests you haven't. 

• Like 3

It’s difficult for any party to stick to a manifesto, when the world is constantly changing at a ferocious pace. 

However, what the country needs is stability. 

Liz Truss was about as far away from that as possible. She’s left it in more of a mess in 6 weeks, than she inherited it.

They’ll lose the next general election either way. It’s more a case of who opposes labour. 

The Greens or Lib Dem’s could make great strides, if they can get themselves the correct exposure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

...is having not even the slightest consideration for the future simply because present times are a little bit tough not ridiculous, then?

That lack of foresight leads to no good end.

It’s realistic.  Being exposed to Putins  whims on gas supply is much worse.