Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sunak should get the 130 at least that he got last time 

that leaves 230 max to be fought over 

unlikely that three get over 100 and feasible that there will be mass scrambling Monday lunchtime as some withdraw and their support for candidates and those votes are ire allocated to ensure sunak isn’t nodded though 

It’ll be Penny and Rishi I’d imagine. 

We could feasibly only have one candidate over 100 votes, meaning it doesn’t go to the members and that person becomes the new PM. 

10 minutes ago, Sly said:

It’ll be Penny and Rishi I’d imagine. 

We could feasibly only have one candidate over 100 votes, meaning it doesn’t go to the members and that person becomes the new PM. 

I did wonder if they'd already agreed on who it will be and by only having one candidate then there is no requirement for it going to the members.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Well the requirement to get at least 100 MPs supporting you is quite clever as that rules out Bojo. 

Sunak vs Mordaunt or Wallace if he stands.   One will probably concede then so they don't need to go to the membership at all.  Good work 1922 committee

I predict if there are two candid on more than 100 votes then it definitely goes to the membership. Can’t see anyone conceding as the membership vote will not necessarily reflect the MP vote 

eg

nomniations 

sunak. 130

mordaunt. 110

a n other 110

then on Tuesday mp’s will vote again and two of those three (sunak + 1) become the final two 

let’s say it’s a nuts vote and becomes 

sunak 250

other person 110

the membership are likely to vote for the candidate with 110 votes - why would that person concede ?? 

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I predict if there are two candid on more than 100 votes then it definitely goes to the membership. Can’t see anyone conceding as the membership vote will not necessarily reflect the MP vote 

eg

nomniations 

sunak. 130

mordaunt. 110

a n other 110

then on Tuesday mp’s will vote again and two of those three (sunak + 1) become the final two 

let’s say it’s a nuts vote and becomes 

sunak 250

other person 110

the membership are likely to vote for the candidate with 110 votes - why would that person concede ?? 

1922 withdraws the whip if they don't concede?

I doubt it's going to the membership this time, needs to be sorted quickly if nothing else.

Guest Col city fan

Just sat watching the news tonight with a sense of both incredulity and anger at the current state of British politics. 
These people are meant to lead us. We (quite rightly) espouse the virtues of strong leadership whilst being ‘led’ by the most selfish bunch of people. I hear that Liz Truss, having been the PM for 44 days, is now to receive 115k per year for life. This won’t be ‘earnt’, it’ll just be given to her.
Any notion of ‘we’re all in it together’ gets blown out of the window when I hear information like this.
And now, there are clamours for Boris to return, with presumably some shouts coming in from exactly those same people who wanted to give him the boot.
It’s hypocrisy at its finest but it’s more than that. It’s actually obscene.
The country needs a general election anytime soon and we need to have the chance to do something about this.
I can’t recollect ever being so disillusioned with the ruling administration. What an utter shambles.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The last two go to the membership

there is no reason to concede (as long as they have more than 100 votes)

Unless they don't trust the membership and have already decided who they want.

I also can't see anything except a postal ballott working and that won't be sorted by the end of the month.

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

Angela Merkel was widely regarded as unshowy, and at best, a merely competent speechmaker and debater, but she combined this lack of the spectacular with dour competence and endurance, and as a result she didn't balls up the job and she lasted and lasted and left the joint in better condition than she found it.

I think most of the UK would like politics here to revert to being quite boring again.

Highly debatable. She was a disaster. 

15 minutes ago, kenny said:

Unless they don't trust the membership and have already decided who they want.

I also can't see anything except a postal ballott working and that won't be sorted by the end of the month.

The opportunity to become pm ??

inconceivable that sunak isn’t in the final two (if he stands)

And the other person knows that sunak is not popular with the membership 

why would they concede ? 

‘they’ (whoever they are) can’t decide that - they can hope that only one candidate gets 100 nominations on Monday which means no membership vote 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

The opportunity to become pm ??

inconceivable that sunak isn’t in the final two (if he stands)

And the other person knows that sunak is not popular with the membership 

why would they concede ? 

‘they’ (whoever they are) can’t decide that - they can hope that only one candidate gets 100 nominations on Monday which means no membership vote 

They can do all sorts. The Tories are the most successful party in history for a reason.