Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

24 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

You are not seriously claiming there is no partisanship in political leanings are you???  

No, what I believe he's claiming, and what I would agree with, is that when people do bad stuff to other people in politics it tends to mostly be the fault of the perpetrators, not mostly the fault of the opposition for not being effective enough.

I heard enough of that disingenuous line when Trump won in 2016 and went about causing events that will have repercussions for decades, thank you very much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

No, what I believe he's claiming, and what I would agree with, is that when people do bad stuff to other people in politics it tends to mostly be the fault of the perpetrators, not mostly the fault of the opposition for not being effective enough.

I heard enough of that disingenuous line when Trump won in 2016 and went about causing events that will have repercussions for decades, thank you very much.

Fair enough and apologies to @HighPeakFox if I misconstrued his post, and of course the party in power holds all blame for policies which result negatively on the populace.

I was making the point that people vote for many reasons, and many are engrained throughout a lifetime, bashing such people feels a bit needless

If this was not the conversation,but I wonder if my use of the word opposition, which was deliberate, was taken as Labour, as it was certainly not a targetted attack.

42 minutes ago, taupe said:

The return of Johnson (so soon) would be seen as farcical, even surreal, by the rest of the world, no? Tin-pot nationish even, the actions of a nation that has no idea what it's doing.

The only credible way forward imho is to call a general election. Then the Tories can decide upon their leader in whatever manner they choose without inflicting that choice on the rest of the nation. This situation is the stuff is dystopian fiction, not real government. 

If the restoration of an obvious liar and buffoon after 44 days was done by some country in Africa or the Caribbean we’d all be calling it a Banana Republic and a tinpot dictatorship and a coup.

We’ve become the laughing stock of the western world.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Fair enough and apologies to @HighPeakFox if I misconstrued his post, and of course the party in power holds all blame for policies which result negatively on the populace.

I was making the point that people vote for many reasons, and many are engrained throughout a lifetime, bashing such people feels a bit needless

If this was not the conversation,but I wonder if my use of the word opposition, which was deliberate, was taken as Labour, as it was certainly not a targetted attack.

Thank you, and I get the reasoning.

However, please understand the frustration at what is such obvious belief in lies, deceit and con artistry - especially when the effects of those things reach far beyond those believing in them.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Thank you, and I get the reasoning.

However, please understand the frustration at what is such obvious belief in lies, deceit and con artistry - especially when the effects of those things reach far beyond those believing in them.

Yes, I do grasp it, I worry terribly for this world we leave to our children (Personally my own son, his peers) and I despaired at the offer of Brexit and its unavoidable isolationism, but still you cannot legitmately expect a geniocracy government unfortunately, as there will always be the those who seek to prosper at the cost of others and you only need look at the election of Johnson shows the comforting power of ignorance, personality and familiarity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, I do grasp it, I worry terribly for this world we leave to our children (Personally my own son, his peers) and I despaired at the offer of Brexit and its unavoidable isolationism, but still you cannot legitmately expect a geniocracy government unfortunately, as there will always be the those who seek to prosper at the cost of others and you only need look at the election of Johnson shows the comforting power of ignorance, personality and familiarity.

...then here's hoping the choice one day isn't a binary between that and a very, very horrible outcome.

I fear it might be.

21 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Think of the new circus that would follow if Johnson gets in. I won't be happy whoever gets in but at least the others are not disgraced.

More market entertainment to come! Those mortgage rates and leccy bills to continue to soar. But at least people know what they're voting for!

• Like 1

"When a regime has been in power too long, when it has fatally exhausted the patience of the people, and when oblivion finally beckons - I am afraid that across the world you can rely on the leaders of that regime to act solely in the interests of self-preservation, and not in the interests of the electorate.”

Boris Johnson
Writing in the Telegraph
February 2011

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Surely it's far too much of a risk to vote him in - if he were to lose his seat and this have to resign as PM then its hard to see anything other than a general election, and subsequently a pretty much complete destruction of the tory party. 

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Surely it's far too much of a risk to vote him in - if he were to lose his seat and this have to resign as PM then its hard to see anything other than a general election, and subsequently a pretty much complete destruction of the tory party. 

Presumably if he were to lose his seat then he would appoint himself a peer - does the PM have to be an MP ??