Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

47 minutes ago, Raj said:

BBC news live in Romford and they all think Boris will sort out the mess of the country....that HE helped create anyway!

It's not only bewildering  how people think this, it's literally scary.

Really seriously  worried about the next few years in this country.

My 14 year old daughter actually said we should move from here as in her words "Leicesters shit"!!

It is crazy how people think Johnson is this jolly blond jester that is the answer despite his track record. Even Michael Howard said he had his chance and blew it. Then you see who is backing him to return. The likes of Peter Bone, Rees Mogg etc. For crying out loud wake up Britain or is that just England.

• Like 1

I’m not sure the Tories are barking up the right tree to say Johnson is the only person who will win them the next election.

Brexit won them the last election, not any individual and Johnson’s polling ratings have never been high.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

Just now, Sampson said:

I’m not sure the Tories are barking up the right tree to say Johnson is the only person who will win them the next election.

Brexit won them the last ejection, not any individual and Johnson’s polling ratings have never been high.

Hope you are right. Amazing how many silly sods there are out there though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

An increasing part of me is resigned that no option is going to be good, so just bring on the big clown’s return and let’s sit back with popcorn and watch the show as the country burns. 

Then a Starmer win at the GE, and his first act to say that “the books are in an even worse state than he thought” - and this used to support an emergency measure to seek a way back to closer EU integration again. Markets bounce at the news, a second wave of Britpop emerges, old ladies pop the heating on, and everyone is happy again. 

They were already being dealt a cack hand before the Truss disaster but now it’s 10x worse. Best case scenario align the economy with the EU much closer, renegotiate better trade deals and sort out the Northern Ireland issue, then have a rejoin referendum in the second term. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

It is crazy how people think Johnson is this jolly blond jester that is the answer despite his track record. Even Michael Howard said he had his chance and blew it. Then you see who is backing him to return. The likes of Peter Bone, Rees Mogg etc. For crying out loud wake up Britain or is that just England.

Little England and the pathetic little Englanders!!

This lying idiot coming back to be PM again is just beyond belief!!.... so what happens when/if he's found guilty of misleading Parliament by the Privileges Committee?

... this Country is an absolute joke!! and for that reason.........

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raj said:

BBC news live in Romford and they all think Boris will sort out the mess of the country....that HE helped create anyway!

It's not only bewildering  how people think this, it's literally scary.

Really seriously  worried about the next few years in this country.

My 14 year old daughter actually said we should move from here as in her words "Leicesters shit"!!

Thats an interesting thought - I wonder how long it will be before people who are second or third gen immigrants decide to emigrate to whence their forefathers came in search of a better life! 

Starmer has to keep with the brexit is done line. Any leaving ajar of the door and the Labour leavers will be motivated to vote Tory again in 2024. It will be pretty much the only line they would have.  and corbyn has to stay outside the party or they would trot out the ‘vote starmer, get corbyn’ line.  (As opposed to ‘vote johnson, get truss’  …….yes hypocrisy is part of an election campaign) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

I hate Sunak, he’s filthy rich, has a dodgy tax record and is a Tory chancellor. However, for the second time in three months I’m sat here typing that they would be idiots of the highest order not to pick him. Firstly he’s actually competent, and secondly he would actually lead on what was right (in a Tory way) rather than playing a constant game against the polls. 

If it’s Johnson then all bets are off. I can’t believe people are so stupid in this country. An embarrassment. 

I can.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Thats an interesting thought - I wonder how long it will be before people who are second or third gen immigrants decide to emigrate to whence their forefathers came in search of a better life! 

My wifes family who live in Warwick have a house in Punjab and go for a couple of months at the end of the year, but could we live  there?

The heat in summer would kill us I reckon, we are climatised to the dark, depressing  and bleak winters on Leicester!!

BUT like @Jattdogg who moved to Canada it's not set in stone to stay here forever especially if the quality of life becomes harder here. Its the  family connections  which keep us here which I suppose is true of alot of people who have considered moving away?

16 minutes ago, Raj said:

My wifes family who live in Warwick have a house in Punjab and go for a couple of months at the end of the year, but could we live  there?

The heat in summer would kill us I reckon, we are climatised to the dark, depressing  and bleak winters on Leicester!!

BUT like @Jattdogg who moved to Canada it's not set in stone to stay here forever especially if the quality of life becomes harder here. Its the  family connections  which keep us here which I suppose is true of alot of people who have considered moving away?

I find this quite interesting just from my own thoughts and conversations with close friends. I never thought I’d ever consider leaving but since COVID, it’s more than crossed my mind. My father in his late seventies feels he is too old to move again. And that keeps me here. However, I look at life, in places like the Middle East, Africa (where my parents came from) and it’s does appeal. The quality of life, the tax benefits. The opportunities. 

Obviously, those places are no where near perfect but it’s whether the negatives here outweigh the negatives there. In the long run, perhaps they do. Never thought id ever consider it only a few years ago. 

I think there are quite a few 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation who are thinking the same. Which again, I don’t think was the case just a few years ago.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I find this quite interesting just from my own thoughts and conversations with close friends. I never thought I’d ever consider leaving but since COVID, it’s more than crossed my mind. My father in his late seventies feels he is too old to move again. And that keeps me here. However, I look at life, in places like the Middle East, Africa (where my parents came from) and it’s does appeal. The quality of life, the tax benefits. The opportunities. 

Obviously, those places are no where near perfect but it’s whether the negatives here outweigh the negatives there. In the long run, perhaps they do. Never thought id ever consider it only a few years ago. 

I think there are quite a few 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation who are thinking the same. Which again, I don’t think was the case just a few years ago.

For me some of the Brexit and  racist ideology behind it shows me that no matter what "we" will never be ingrained as "one of our own".

Born and bred here of 51 years but I dont feel"im one of our own".

Where is home? Perhaps  I'm thinking too deep into things for a Saturday  afternoon!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Raj said:

My grandfather took my dad ( when he was 4) and family to england where the family expanded.  We only came here because my dad wanted to be his own man and a good job opportunity came up. One of his younger sisters had already moved here with her hubbys larger family so that cushioned the blow. The racism my dad encountered in the late 50s and 60s (and beyond) as a youth didnt ever leave his mind though.

Mum didnt want to leave Leicester and hated it at first but then warmed while my dad soured and wanted to return. Mum said no and we stayed here lol. My dad had 5 siblings left in england and 4 of them followed to Canada and would never ever go back. 

The life style is different and hard to get used to if you come here as an adult (i didnt). But after you stick it out they all realized it was better here for them and their families or eventual families. They all miss england for certain things but canada is home.  None of us would ever move back to punjab in a million years.  Having said that my older brother moved back to england 11 years ago and will remain there for the rest of his life. He has family obligations with his ex wife and kids so stuck there. He doesnt mind it though.

Immigrants choose canada often for its acceptance and openness. Less racism etc. Although it seems since trump took over in america some of the tucked away racism came out again. We have our issues over here too but still seems like one of the more tolerable countries in the world for us 'colour' folk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Johnson drifting to 5/1…

highest I can see is 4/1, lowest 2/1 

longest on sunak is 4/11 and shortest 1/6 

I know that the bookies rarely get it that wrong so maybe those who think a return of Johnson would be a disgrace can take solace in those odds.