Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

lol - is the greatest trick the Tories pulled off that everyone has forgotten their time in power? 

This is one of the biggest tactics they used to win the last election. Create an impression that it's a new government rather than a government in power. 

Its their only tactic. 

They've torched their reputation on Brexit and Johnson as the party of economic stability. The proof was yesterday when Starmer asked a question on economic strategy and Johnsons response was to mention about Labour not being able to say what a woman is. 

The only thing they have left is to convince the country that whilst things are bad, they would be so much worse under the other guy. Sadly, so many people fall for it time and time again.

30 minutes ago, bovril said:

They are but this has been obvious for years; I'm not sure what people expected. If there really were a conservative party I may vote for them. 

For me personally and I know many will disagree, the Conservatives have been in decline since Thatcher. She was the best leader we’ve had in my lifetime. The World is a different place now, and a Thatcherite style Conservative party  would be rejected in an instant. But quite what Johnson stands for, god only knows,I think he’s lost us the next election he’s a charlatan. 

33 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

For me personally and I know many will disagree, the Conservatives have been in decline since Thatcher. She was the best leader we’ve had in my lifetime. The World is a different place now, and a Thatcherite style Conservative party  would be rejected in an instant. But quite what Johnson stands for, god only knows,I think he’s lost us the next election he’s a charlatan. 

But she wasn't really a typical small c conservative either, not for that time I don't think. Thatcherism is responsible for the decline of conservatism in this country, it's not something that we need to go back to

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Cameron probably laid down the blueprint of what a modern Tory party should be, but brexit derailed that and I think the main issue with this current Tory party is quite simple, because of how unstable the political landscape has been especially since Cameron stepped down and brexit became the focal point, so many of their actual talented politicians that probably do belong on front benches whether that's your leanings or not and have all been and gone. All the people now in cabinet apart from Gove were pretty much all snubbed by more viable governments that proceeded them 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bovril said:

Thatcherism is responsible for the decline of conservatism in this country, it's not something that we need to go back to

I would say her first term was her best. And you're probably right.

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

That wasn’t what I experienced….

…but then there is probably a lot to be said for this.

Also, I have most of the freaky left already blocked. I’m still working my way through the nutty right. 

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Exactly, the only thing Johnson stands for is himself. His policies are a wish wash of looking hard but following through with nothing. There’s no conservatism, essentially soft libertarian policies than he’ll walk back on if it’s too far right. 

• Like 2

On 19/05/2022 at 12:33, Fazzer 7 said:

Just to give the opposite point of view for me Thatcher caused great division in the country. I despised her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

Just to give the opposite point of view for me Thatcher caused great division in the country. I despised her. 

So did I, but I suspect she would have taken climate change very seriously, and would be minded to be guided by the science.

7 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

So did I, but I suspect she would have taken climate change very seriously, and would be minded to be guided by the science.

Possibly but she did not do much for public transport or providing alternatives to car use

2 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Possibly but she did not do much for public transport or providing alternatives to car use

Certainly true, and I’m no apologist for Thatcher, but I do think that yesteryear’s conservatives stand in stark contrast to the anti science, increasing anti democratic & corrupt, environmental vandals that get served up around the world today, like Trump, Bolsonaro, and to some extent Morrison here in Australia. I’d include Johnson, but he does at least seem to be less of a climate denier.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I got the ultimate endorsement of a laughing emoji from two people today - a sure sign of someone with nothing better to say.

Can you imagine him trying to dismantle that Mhairi Black speech? lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

9 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Certainly true, and I’m no apologist for Thatcher, but I do think that yesteryear’s conservatives stand in stark contrast to the anti science, increasing anti democratic & corrupt, environmental vandals that get served up around the world today, like Trump, Bolsonaro, and to some extent Morrison here in Australia. I’d include Johnson, but he does at least seem to be less of a climate denier.

FWIW I think, if she could have gone unopposed, she would have deconstructed the whole social welfare and benefits system and brought absolute poverty to those in the most need. She didn't care about those most vulnerable. She had no choice but to accept the need for support for the unemployed. To do otherwise would be political suicide, but I still believe she loathed the benefits system and "free" handouts, even down to scrapping school milk for kids.

IMO nasty, selfish, heartless, uncaring. I wouldn't want another Thatcher, ever. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Parafox said:

FWIW I think, if she could have gone unopposed, she would have deconstructed the whole social welfare and benefits system and brought absolute poverty to those in the most need. She didn't care about those most vulnerable. She had no choice but to accept the need for support for the unemployed. To do otherwise would be political suicide, but I still believe she loathed the benefits system and "free" handouts, even down to scrapping school milk for kids.

IMO nasty, selfish, heartless, uncaring. I wouldn't want another Thatcher, ever. 

I think she would have been out on her ear after one term but The Falklands War changed the situation in her favour. Always struck me as odd as it was under her watch the government took their eye off the intelligence regarding the Argentine's junta intentions. The fact the armed forces had to win the islands back somehow reflected well on her. Awful woman.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Words mean absolutely nothing with Johnson. That has been proven time and again. He’s less of a climate denier because it’s a vote winner. The green finance strategy is out for consultation now and due in 22/06, let’s see what govt do about it. Likewise let’s see if they allow the uk endorsement board to endorse issb standards around scope 3 disclosures to really move the needle. My guess is no and no, it’s all lip service 

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I'm repeating this because I do think it's an important distinction to make.

The 80's style conservatives clearly held the poor and various other demographics in contempt as evidenced by their policy, but what they did not do was present a clear and present threat to the continuation of human civilisation through ignorance of science (With the possible exception of Reagan on a couple of matters). I'm not sure I can say the same regarding the current crop.

Once again, that is an important, possibly critical distinction.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Words mean absolutely nothing with Johnson. That has been proven time and again. He’s less of a climate denier because it’s a vote winner. The green finance strategy is out for consultation now and due in 22/06, let’s see what govt do about it. Likewise let’s see if they allow the uk endorsement board to endorse issb standards around scope 3 disclosures to really move the needle. My guess is no and no, it’s all lip service 

Yes I think you’re probably right. The main abiding characteristic of Johnson is his opportunistic promotion of his own career.

• Like 1