Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Within the strictures of our parliamentary system and you know it, stop being such a shock jock

That does not mean I have to think it is right. I don’t even know what “shock jock” means either. Hardly a shocking opinion is it? 

Edited by kingkisnorbo

3 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

That does not mean I have to think it is right. I don’t even know what “shock jock” means either. Hardly a shocking opinion is it? 

As I find the behaviour reprehensible, its not law breaking, so no not a shocking opinion, but it also not a shock it is happening either.

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

We are a representative democracy

Hence those 357 people are carrying out their democratic duty given the situation they find themselves.

And, therefore, a pale and watery substitute for a true democracy. 

It's interesting that you use the words "democratic duty". After the Brexit débâcle, where Cameron was pressured into a referendum by the ERG (were they interested in "democratic duty "?), 'we' see a rapid descent into venal self-interest and shocking incompetence by a caucus of talentless wannabes.

Unfortunately our FPTP voting system and a propagandised and ignorant electorate allowed Johnson to access power. The rats had been given free run of the granary. All concerns over "democratic duty" was abandoned without a second thought pro-tem - until the Tories could no longer risk the bad publicity Johnson's antics were attracting. Then the Tory parliamentary rabble saw fit to choose Truss and Sunak to present to the unspeakable Tory Party membership - who chose Truss! 

Those incessant gabblers on here (and throughout the media) who are still obsessed by which Tory is going to be our next PM are barking up the wrong tree. Whatyever happens the Tories will continue to  make a hash of it.

Mordaunt, Sunak - it makes no difference. They're akin to mediaeval aristocracy fighting the Wars of the Roses. F**k the serfs - this is about which chancer gets to play with power, while the rest of us try to make ends meet. One wonders how bad a government and an electoral system has to be before protest becomes impossible to ignore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kingkisnorbo said:

At no point did I say it was law breaking either. 

No, I realise, sorry was not tryiong to suggest you did, but peoples calls for a GE is madness and extremely reactionary (Let alone misguided from an opposition point of view) as the current Government holds the blame for the damage occurring beyond the global problems, so to letting them walk way and pass the problems to another party (who would then inevitably carry the can to some degree) feels self defeating. Wait for the next GE and walk it.

5 minutes ago, gerblod said:

And, therefore, a pale and watery substitute for a true democracy. 

It's interesting that you use the words "democratic duty". After the Brexit débâcle, where Cameron was pressured into a referendum by the ERG (were they interested in "democratic duty "?), 'we' see a rapid descent into venal self-interest and shocking incompetence by a caucus of talentless wannabes.

Unfortunately our FPTP voting system and a propagandised and ignorant electorate allowed Johnson to access power. The rats had been given free run of the granary. All concerns over "democratic duty" was abandoned without a second thought pro-tem - until the Tories could no longer risk the bad publicity Johnson's antics were attracting. Then the Tory parliamentary rabble saw fit to choose Truss and Sunak to present to the unspeakable Tory Party membership - who chose Truss! 

Those incessant gabblers on here (and throughout the media) who are still obsessed by which Tory is going to be our next PM are barking up the wrong tree. Whatyever happens the Tories will continue to  make a hash of it.

Mordaunt, Sunak - it makes no difference. They're akin to mediaeval aristocracy fighting the Wars of the Roses. F**k the serfs - this is about which chancer gets to play with power, while the rest of us try to make ends meet. One wonders how bad a government and an electoral system has to be before protest becomes impossible to ignore.

We used to let our betters **** our wives on our wedding night. Safe to say there’ll be no riots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

We used to let our betters **** our wives on our wedding night. Safe to say there’ll be no riots.

Ah, droit de seigneur! I doubt that was anything other than done under the duress of armed lackeys.

There have been many riots against Tory governance and institutional thuggery in postwar Britain, especially when Thatcher was PM. But they were disorganised and unfocused and reactive - the 'Angry Brigade' for instance. 

Revolutions rarely end well - successful or not. We are at a point globally where first world consumerism is acting to damage the environment. Until politicians and peoples accept that this is the all-important priority we should all be bending a knee to, these current petty issues about who leads the Tory party are merely wasting time. Children arguing in a kindergarten. 

• Like 1

We operate in a parliamentary democracy and not a presidential one. Whoever leads the biggest party in Government is a matter for the MPs of that party to decide as we elect our MPs based on an individual basis trusting they will make the best decisions in our interest. 

That being said I don't like it but it's entirely within the rules. 

• Like 3