Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

Completely agree - 2 massive and major events and the previous posters seem to think just because it's not as big as WW2 its not a big event that doesn't have a material impact on our Economy - as for the pandemic it was a first in a generation. It's easy to fall back on the Tories are all sh*ts - because of the damage Boris did, and the members did when voting in Truss. I hope Rishi is a breath of fresh air, he has to be if they want to be serious about a majority at the next GE. 

Of course it has had an effect.

But not as big an effect as past events and not as big as future ones *will* be. What makes you think, given their mismanagement of these events, that they are in any way qualified to lead into a future that, without that leadership, will have more, worse, such events (and may well do so anyway)?

59 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Au contraire, that's a fine figure of a woman, to the extent I can cheerily overlook that her eyes are different sizes

You are a man of refined taste. I heartily agree. 

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Of course it has had an effect.

But not as big an effect as past events and not as big as future ones *will* be. What makes you think, given their mismanagement of these events, that they are in any way qualified to lead into a future that, without that leadership, will have more, worse, such events (and may well do so anyway)?

What theoretic future events are you talking about? Seems all a bit Mystic Meg to me.

Get the ****ers gone. 

Same twats, just the monthly repackaging. I despair at those who are 'reluctantly' giving him a chance because he seems 'more competent than Truss'. He's been a big part of the absolute car crash of the last 12 years.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

What theoretic future events are you talking about? Seems all a bit Mystic Meg to me.

Continually increasing global average temperatures that will lead to decreased food and potable water supply across a great deal of the world as large tracts of land become arid and impossible to farm or gain water from (or, perversely, flood frequently due to changing weather patterns, with the same results). Those effects will likely start off both regional and wider conflicts on a scale much larger than what we're seeing right now as scarcity of essential resources becomes a much wider issue.

While the knock-on effects of such events (like the conflicts)are conjectural, the increase in temperatures and resulting stress on food and water supply are matters of scientific fact. They will happen if not acted against and therefore world governments, including that of the UK, need to be ready to either help prevent the worst effects or be ready to deal with the economic and social consequences of them - or both.

I have zero faith in this particular government to do the latter given their track record and I'm entirely unsure about the former either given that they seem to be trying to greenlight fracking again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Continually increasing global average temperatures that will lead to decreased food and potable water supply across a great deal of the world as large tracts of land become arid and impossible to farm or gain water from (or, perversely, flood frequently due to changing weather patterns, with the same results). Those effects will likely start off both regional and wider conflicts on a scale much larger than what we're seeing right now as scarcity of essential resources becomes a much wider issue.

While the knock-on effects of such events (like the conflicts)are conjectural, the increase in temperatures and resulting stress on food and water supply are matters of scientific fact. They will happen if not acted against and therefore world governments, including that of the UK, need to be ready to either help prevent the worst effects or be ready to deal with the economic and social consequences of them - or both.

I have zero faith in this particular government to do the latter given their track record and I'm entirely unsure about the former either given that they seem to be trying to greenlight fracking again.

You and I align on the threat of climate change I believe, yet I see nothing from either of the major two parties that offer me a sense of hope. I certainly don’t count buzzword Great British Energy from Labour, and the fracking fiasco is a disgrace (not that I think it can happen as the UK is uniquely unsuited geologically, so it will always be cancelled)

So I will just vote Green yet along with everyone else, burn in the fires of hubris.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

You and I align on the threat of climate change I believe, yet I see nothing from either of the major two parties that offer me a sense of hope. I certainly don’t count buzzword Great British Energy from Labour, and the fracking fiasco is a disgrace (not that I think it can happen as the UK is uniquely unsuited geologically, so it will always be cancelled)

So I will just vote Green yet along with everyone else, burn in the fires of hubris.

Funnily enough, the a lot of European Green parties (including our’s) and their extremely backwards views on nuclear energy set us back big time in winding down the use of fossil fuels. Chernobyl is probably also to blame but historically a massive own-goal, and even today they have a weird anti-nuclear platform. 

• Like 2

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Funnily enough, the a lot of European Green parties (including our’s) and their extremely backwards views on nuclear energy set us back big time in winding down the use of fossil fuels. Chernobyl is probably also to blame but historically a massive own-goal, and even today they have a weird anti-nuclear platform. 

Well yes, this is a most perplexing stance, it amazed me that Germany had ceased its programme, and as someone who actually works with nuclear energy producers worldwide, their safety record is nigh on immaculate. This is spin guiding policy, a sad indictment of our times.

• Like 3

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Looked like he was delivering it at gunpoint. Burst out laughing when he just stood there like a lemon at the end. lol

At this point I genuinely feel they are there just to take the ****.  People talk nonsense about Starmer lacking charisma and flair but, seriously, one take at that speech and lacking charisma and flair doesn't even come close to describing how dire it was.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

I don't think can be right given he was only elected to parliament in May 15. and only became Chancellor in Feb 20

That's a big part in my book! The last 2 amd a half years have been full of catastrophe 

1 minute ago, Raj said:

The guy doesnt need the hassle.

He could work in the City for more money.

He could literally buy most of the banks.

His next 10 generations of off spring need never work again his family is so rich.

You have to think(And hope!) he is doing this as he really thinks he can make a difference  and improve the country surely? 

That's kind of what I hope. He's actively putting a target (possibly literally) on his back. There's no real "benefit" to him, in the way it benefits Johnson and Truss. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raj said:

The guy doesnt need the hassle.

He could work in the City for more money.

He could literally buy most of the banks.

His next 10 generations of off spring need never work again his family is so rich.

You have to think(And hope!) he is doing this as he really thinks he can make a difference  and improve the country surely? 

Personally, i think the motivation with people when wealth no longer becomes an obsession is power and control. When a politician  starts to show the open arms gesture,( the open and honest Jesus Christ gesture), that's when to start worrying. Sunak is refraining from it in this speech, but you can see him starting to do it, or deliberatly trying not to.

Edited by yorkie1999