Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Dames said:

People that use the term 'MSM' believe that they and a chosen few sit outside the narrative when in fact all that's happened is you've been hoodwinked into another narrative. 

That's what I can't understand about such conspiracy theorists. Often smart people who don't realise they're still being played, just by a different organ grinder.

Like anyone (outside of a very, very specific group of few people) who thought Donald Trump would make their life better in the USA, for instance.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zear0 said:

Also laughable as the proprietor of Sky News is effing Murdoch who has the Tory's in his pocket. 

Its the same for GB News too they are run by another multi-millionaire but their presenters and 'journalists' like to bang on like they are some small alternative media company that looks after the little person when in reality they are another cog in the Tory right wing media machine that is designed to keep people perpetually angry. You can't claim to not be a part of the MSM when you literally have a channel on every network provider and are paying some of your presenters millions of pounds each year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's what I can't understand about such conspiracy theorists. Often smart people who don't realise they're still being played, just by a different organ grinder.

Like anyone (outside of a very, very specific group of few people) who thought Donald Trump would make their life better in the USA, for instance.

They generally just want a narrative that makes them feel unique and special. Like they are the only ones that are truly awake to what's going on in the world and they are on a crusade to free us all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dames said:

People that use the term 'MSM' believe that they and a chosen few sit outside the narrative when in fact all that's happened is you've been hoodwinked into another narrative. 

Exactly.  They are wannabe contrarians when really they are just like the 'sheeple' they pretend they are so different from.

MSM is by no means perfect and there is plenty of disinformation/factual inaccuracy in it but its still infinitely better then basing opinions on TikTok/facebook/whatsapp etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dames said:

They generally just want a narrative that makes them feel unique and special. Like they are the only ones that are truly awake to what's going on in the world and they are on a crusade to free us all.

And I wouldn't have a problem with that normally, except some of those beliefs, when made into political policy and acted upon, are harmful to people. From a little harmful to *extremely* harmful.

So.... what to do?

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

And I wouldn't have a problem with that normally, except some of those beliefs, when made into political policy and acted upon, are harmful to people. From a little harmful to *extremely* harmful.

So.... what to do?

I'd personally start with cracking down on some of the content that GB News is outputting as it's not really News. Nigel Farage, Dan Wootton and Neil Oliver have been leaning into conspiracy theories and spouting hate and lies for a good year now and its starting to rile a lot of people up.

The amount of people I'm hearing and saying that we have been subjected to a 'globalist coup' is alarming. If they want to put that content out there that's fine because of free speech etc but they need to stop with the 'News' pretense, its harmful and misleading. 

7 minutes ago, I am Rod Hull said:

Comcast own Sky News, not Murdoch.... 

Schoolboy error lol

1 minute ago, Zear0 said:

Touché, still not exactly some egalitarian lefty organisation though. 

The transfer apparently occurred in 2018.

I wonder, have the journalistic practices and slant of Sky News really changed that much in the intervening four years?

12 minutes ago, Dames said:

I'd personally start with cracking down on some of the content that GB News is outputting as it's not really News. Nigel Farage, Dan Wootton and Neil Oliver have been leaning into conspiracy theories and spouting hate and lies for a good year now and its starting to rile a lot of people up.

The amount of people I'm hearing and saying that we have been subjected to a 'globalist coup' is alarming. If they want to put that content out there that's fine because of free speech etc but they need to stop with the 'News' pretense, its harmful and misleading. 

GB News ride pretty close to the line, and I guarantee OFCOM are keeping a close eye on them, but the truth is it takes a lot for OFCOM to uphold any complaints and issue sanctions.

Installing Grade as chair has probably allowed more wiggle room in terms of "free speech," but I agree the two channels TalkTV and GBNews edge closer every day to becoming a grindingly repetitive diet of ‘anti-woke’ hectoring propaganda, leavened only by a brief hourly news bulletin.

Edited by RoboFox

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Over the coming weeks the calls for a GE from the msm, notably sky and bbc will be relentless. Just like they were for lockdowns. I see one of the bbc presenters was suspended yesterday for breaking impartiality rules, for expressing her delight at the Johnson withdrawal.  

I don't understand this obsession with lockdowns and why you're making it a political issue?

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

I don't understand this obsession with lockdowns and why you're making it a political issue?

I don’t get why people are still moaning about lockdowns. They were right for the time and now they’re not.

As for GB News, anyone taking that seriously should have given it up when Andrew Neil left.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

So the government you support imposed them? Not the ‘lefty’ media that supposedly did, according to youlol

Haven't you heard, Left leaning and right leaning governments around the world came to the same conclusions so conspiracists cant blame one particular political side they have to move onto scientists instead.  Thousands of scientists around the world from many different backgrounds countries etc all colluded together purely for no reasons other then for the sh*ts and giggles. :blink:

1 hour ago, Dames said:

I watched one of the flat earth documentaries and the vast majority of them were having some personal problems. Not necessarily mental health but they'd gone through a breakup, a loss or something similar. It meant they were susceptible to influence and feeling part of something helped.

It's the same reason far right and Al Qaeda target disaffected young men, who don't have a lot going on.

In an ideal world, these people would have opportunities to feel included in something sensible and maintain their ability to critically evaluate everything. They can be incredibly smart but people really don't like admitting they're wrong, which should be where it all starts. 

10 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Solid speech from Sunak. He’s not the most charismatic but, for as much as I am not a fan of the conservatives in general, it at least feels like we won’t be a complete embarrassment to the world now.

He doesn't come across as the most charismatic, granted, but I'd rather competent than a character, and I think much of his current demeanour is to reflect that he appreciates we're in a serious situation. It does feel like we've got a qualified grown up in charge now, rather than someone standing in who is out of their depth.

Liz always looked like I did if my boss sent me to deputise for him in a high level meeting, where I spent most of it thinking "wtf am I doing here".

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

Best of the lot I guess so can't complain too much.  Do suspect Boris and his cabal will be sticking the knife in regarding parties to deflect from themselves in the forthcoming investigation, he's Judas in their eyes.