Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Nope. Daftest thing he could do until he's actually in Downing Street, should he get there. Our electoral system means he needs to keep his gob firmly shut for now.

Yes, it's still far too soon after the event. At the minute it would still give off the impression of sore losers trying to overturn a democratic result. However, in a few years time the 2016 result will not carry as much weight, especially as more people start to realise the shambles of Brexit. Millions of people who were not eligible to vote in 2016 will be able to vote and many people who did vote in 2016 would have passed away. Back in 2016, I don't think you had any staunch remainers saying 'we voted in 175, you lost, get over it!'. 

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Starmer needs to grow a pair and start backing the project to rejoin the EU... that's if the Country wants growth! growth! growth!!

Screenshot_20221025_125745_com.facebook.katana_edit_2581550817763377.jpg

In terms of the population, the UK voted 52% in favour of leave, 48% in favour of remain. In terms of seats the picture is much different. Remain had comprehensively more votes in big cities that are densely populated, especially London. However, outside of the big cities leave had much greater support. I can believe that more people coming to the realisation that Brexit was a terrible idea, but right now backing a campaign to re-join the EU would still be electoral suicide. 

Winners in each area

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

The transfer apparently occurred in 2018.

I wonder, have the journalistic practices and slant of Sky News really changed that much in the intervening four years?

Actually the difference is huge. We get the raw sewage that is Sky News Australia over here (in Oz) and it couldn’t be more different to Sky News UK. I get Sky News UK as well, and it’s actually a pretty good news channel.

3 hours ago, weller54 said:

Starmer needs to grow a pair and start backing the project to rejoin the EU... that's if the Country wants growth! growth! growth!!

Screenshot_20221025_125745_com.facebook.katana_edit_2581550817763377.jpg

Even as someone who thinks a gradual rejoining would be in our interests, I'd want to dig into those figures a bit. What was the cross section of respondents? 1300 is too low for me to have faith in it. 

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This is very much it for me. Sunak comes across as competent, Fit for purpose. I cant stand all this talk of "his upbringing means he cant understand the working class". Absolute bollocks. We need a guy who is good with numbers at the moment. He comes across as that guy. 

(Please ignore me in 6 months when I am calling for his resignation). 

Is he really that rich? Sounds like his “fortune” would be the sort of chump change that Jeff Bezos would find down the back of the sofa.

Best of a truly awful bunch in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Is he really that rich? Sounds like his “fortune” would be the sort of chump change that Jeff Bezos would find down the back of the sofa.

Best of a truly awful bunch in my opinion.

I agree with you. Some do like to beat those who have financially done well with a stick sometimes. His financial position means nothing as to his ability to do the job. 

There will be those who flag his wife's non-dom status etc. Good accounting to me - morally, perhaps wrong given his position. However, it didnt determine his ability as a chancellor.  

All in all, its whether he can do the job that is required and his CV says he can. I'm sure that will be tested very soon. 

I mean I couldnt ever vote Johnson (far more charismatic than Rishi apparently). Truss should never be in a position of power. But I can see the appeal of voting for a genuine businessman like Sunak. I mean imagine if it was Raab, Bowden, Shapps or (shiver) Patel - **** me. If the tories are in power, Rishi is just fine.