Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

4 hours ago, LVFox said:

Solid speech from Sunak. He’s not the most charismatic but, for as much as I am not a fan of the conservatives in general, it at least feels like we won’t be a complete embarrassment to the world now.

Well that was a nice 4 hours. Braverman in as Home Secretary….

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Shouldn't have to give him a chance when:

a) he's got a pretty bad track record while as Chancellor and is one of the reasons we're in this mess,

b) he's filling his cabinet with provably unpleasant, unsuccessful and untalented people, and

c) not a single person in the UK voted for him. He as no mandate from the electorate, no mandate from his own party and therefore should call an immediate general election.

Those who received generous furlough money and grants wouldn’t agree with you. You fail to concede that the printing of hundreds of billions to support such schemes is one of the principle reasons behind the current economic woes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Those who received generous furlough money and grants wouldn’t agree with you. You fail to concede that the printing of hundreds of billions to support such schemes is one of the principle reasons behind the current economic woes. 

Didn't Sunak says the reason he could do Furlough was because of the strong economic position the Tories had got the county in. Seems odd to now have to be scrambling for every penny down the back of the sofa and it being the cause of all our woes.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

You're going to be fuming when you find out why the furlough had to be so "generous" in the first place...

20919.png

On 22/06/2022 at 11:54, urban.spaceman said:

Sadly it's in an old closed thread but I've been pretty explicit on here before about how ****ing horrifically they handled it. They weren't prepared when it's government policy to be ready for something so likely as a pandemic, they spaffed billions of taxpayer's money up the wall on dodgy PPE, did dodgy deals with mates, failed to support the entertainment industry and self employed, went into every lockdown weeks too late which meant they had to go on longer, released vulnerable elderly people into care homes allowing the virus to spread and didn't support the homes, refused to feed starving children until Marcus Rashford forced a u-turn, didn't close the ****ing borders until ELEVEN MONTHS into the pandemic, he mocked Starmer in October 2020 for calling for an emergency circuit breaker lockdown for 2 weeks and then when things got out of hand we had to lock down for a full month in the November - then he ****ed up Christmas AND we were locked down until April 2021.

I could go on, but the idea that they got the "big calls right" is what I took issue with mainly as it's utterly untrue and actually quite offensive. 

Whether Starmer would have lowered that figure is difficult to answer - but consider my last sentence in that paragraph about a circuit breaker lockdown and the following graph:

FVcGPgeWIAAG2Xc?format=jpg&name=medium

This government's failures are directly responsible for the high number of deaths. This isn't even about hindsight as their own policy states they should have been better prepared for it.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Didn't Sunak says the reason he could do Furlough was because of the strong economic position the Tories had got the county in. Seems odd to now have to be scrambling for every penny down the back of the sofa and it being the cause of all our woes.

I didn’t say it was the cause of *all our woes. But no country is going to print that much money without there being an economic impact. 

Just now, Fazzer 7 said:

I didn’t say it was the cause of *all our woes. But no country is going to print that much money without there being an economic impact. 

But according to Sunak he could do it because we were in such a strong position. So was he lying then or what? 

Just now, Facecloth said:

But according to Sunak he could do it because we were in such a strong position. So was he lying then or what? 

We could borrow the money cheaply because he’d done a decent job.  That doesn’t mean we don’t have to pay it back.

Just now, Facecloth said:

I distinctly remember him saying something along the lines of "having to put ideology on hold" when announcing the furlough scheme. I'll try and find the transcript later

Just now, FoyleFox said:

Some surprise appointments in that cabinet. Can't help but wonder if a few are compromises for party unity.

Yes, but was never going to be a centrist cabinet, had in part to contain a nod in other directions for the sake of unity as you say.

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Well that optimism was pretty ****ing short-lived

It's quite surprising that people are surprised that a PM who has always been more right wing economically, socially and on immigration than the previous two useless PMs is appointing an even more right wing and useless cabinet than his predecessors. 

A cabinet of the talentless indeed. Or it could be merely a symptom of the lack of talent in the wider parliamentary party, that his options are pretty thin.

54 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Erm, I think even Johnson Govt during COVID (all of them) will not openly used their handily of the pandemic as a particularly career high point.

Some catastrophic disasters. 

I'm going to hate myself for writing this but I'm actually quite pleased to see Gove back at Levelling Up. He actually has some decent ideas on housing reform etc and made a decent start in role when he had it previously.

He's an intellectual and political giant compared to most of the rest of the cabinet.

Oh god what is happening to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

I'm going to hate myself for writing this but I'm actually quite pleased to see Gove back at Levelling Up. He actually has some decent ideas on housing reform etc and made a decent start in role when he had it previously.

He's an intellectual and political giant compared to most of the rest of the cabinet.

Ouch I have to agree

2 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

I think when people are starting see the likes of Gove, Hunt, Raab, Zahawi etc as comp competent government ministers shows how far the talent pool has fallen in the tory party.

• Like 2