Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

41 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Not sure why the uproar about this. He wasnt PM at that point - why would Biden know who he is? He'll have barely heard anything about him before that and Sunak was appointed behind closed doors rather than via a national election. If he's still pronouncing it like that in 3 months then yeah call him out, but people don't always get it right first time. I don't think there's anything malicious in it.

38 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think you got the wrong end of the stick on this personally, he is exceptionally frail and seem quite unwell too me

WOW. Firstly, he is the president of the United States. He isnt someone grandfather living in a home without any repercussions. He is speaking at a Diwali event (which was on Monday, the day Sunak became PM).

In addition, he is the former Chancellor - quite an important role. 

Its ignorance and very rude if youre on the end of it. Each to their own. However, Rishi Sunak is not the hardest name to say or remember. Surprising some think it is. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

WOW. Firstly, he is the president of the United States. He isnt someone grandfather living in a home without any repercussions. He is speaking at a Diwali event (which was on Monday, the day Sunak became PM).

Its ignorance and very rude if youre on the end of it. Each to their own. However, Rishi Sunak is not the hardest name to say or remember. Surprising some think it is. 

Seems like he has dementia to me, don`t think that cares where or what he is, but as you say each tio their own. :dunno: Although I am surprised he does not know/remember who Rishi is if he does not I agree

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Well

"Anyone can make telly, it's easy. Let's sell off Channel 4" 

She looks like she's been on the wallop again. 

Who thought this was a good idea? Embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Is there any more to the clip? It's the 'go figure' that bothers me more. There's a world of difference between saying it because he's having a pop at the number of PM's the UK has had recently, or if he is saying it because Rishi Sunak, an Asian, is leader of the Conservative party.

One is fair game, the other is out and out racism. Old or not, it's sickening.

The mispronunciation is forgivable, but still not ideal. Make a point of finding out how to pronounce the bloke's name properly ffs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

He became leader of the Conservative Party on Monday. He became PM on Tuesday. I'd wager plenty of our Cabinet couldn't name the American equivalent of the Chancellor.

Yeah it's not the hardest name I agree, but he's American, they're thick. I just don't think it was malicious is all.

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

He became leader of the Conservative Party on Monday. He became PM on Tuesday. I'd wager plenty of our Cabinet couldn't name the American equivalent of the Chancellor.

Yeah it's not the hardest name I agree, but he's American, they're thick. I just don't think it was malicious is all.

You're giving me your opinion that a name in total with 4 syllables is mispronounced so significantly by the President of the US (so significantly mispronounced he made the first Hindu PM a Muslim) because he apparently didnt know who he was.

Ok. If the New PM was Penny, would he be so ignorant. There is more chance he would no less about Mordaunt than he does Sunak. I can put money on it, he wouldnt. 

Each to their own but if you've seen this before its very easy to understand why its so disgraceful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Saw this, this morning and it made me furious. It looks like a joke, people will use it to make fun of him but it’s so disappointing. It’s racism.

Any person who holds a name which is not your usual will know all about this. The arrogant **** who reads the TWO syllables as if they’ve had a pipe stuck up their ass. Or even worse, asking if they can call you “Dave”. This is ignorance. It’s not acceptable - he is the PM. Learn how to pronounce his ****ing name. 

You have to make allowances for him. I suspect the senile old git struggles to remember which day of the week it is. What concerns me is that the American people elected him. It was a great pity the alternative was Trump. 

• Haha 1

The key economic statement which was brought forward to 31st October, following the mini budget $hitshow from Liz, has now moved back to November. Due 17th November now and is also a full autumn statement.

Is it overly optimistic to think that recent improved market stability now permits this ? The Bof E have approved the move.

Edited by FoyleFox

56 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I thought the Latino bogeyman is the new Commie bogeyman? Or is that just on Trump's watch?  :dunno:

It's the "commies letting in all the illegals" (read: brown people).

It's disheartening how many people still buy into it and therefore how much effect it still has on the landscape.

10 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

You have to make allowances for him. I suspect the senile old git struggles to remember which day of the week it is. What concerns me is that the American people elected him. It was a great pity the alternative was Trump. 

As per above really. The Dems went for the old political rich tea biscuit (thanks again @Finnegan ) because anyone else younger and with more drive would be seen by too many people as a godless heathen looking to corrupt noble American values like the right to buy a deadly firearm and take it into a school, the right to pollute whatever pristine land you like in the name of profit and the right to force a woman to have a child without her having any input in the matter. (Among others.)

It's sad that the Dems had to consider that as their framework, but it's *because* the alternative was Trump and all he and his party stands for that they did so.

I think it’s understandable that Sunak would give himself more time for this economic statement. The whole selling point of him for the Conservatives is that he knows what he’s doing on the economy. It’s vital for them from a political standpoint. So it only makes sense that he’ll want a bit more time to get it right and for it to fit his vision.

As for Biden, that’s pretty poor. That’s not dementia, that’s just being a gaffe machine. Even so, it’s always worth remembering just how appalling the alternative option is/was.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The key economic statement which was brought forward to 31st October, following the mini budget $hitshow from Liz, has now moved back to November. Due 17th November now and is also a full autumn statement.

Is it overly optimistic to think that recent improved market stability now permits this ? The Bof E have approved the move.

It’s a sensible move. B of E will now have to make interest rate changes at start of November without info to go off of, but they have been naturally cautious on rises anyway.

OBR forecast and time to see more of a true position of markets, it makes sense.

9 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

This is desperate and embarrassing from Dodds. Tell me, how many women PM's have labour had, Dodds, or indeed a British Asian PM. 

https://twitter.com/AnnelieseDodds/status/1585023661928370176?s=20&t=cQ5y7y9yw3e-0IOMP4bYfQ

24% of all Conservative MPs are women, 51% of Labour MPs are women.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zear0 said:

Like having Boris back.  Not a single question answered.

One the hand we have this

, and on the other we have this

18 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

This is desperate and embarrassing from Dodds. Tell me, how many women PM's have labour had, Dodds, or indeed a British Asian PM. 

https://twitter.com/AnnelieseDodds/status/1585023661928370176?s=20&t=cQ5y7y9yw3e-0IOMP4bYfQ

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

24% of all Conservative MPs are women, 51% of Labour MPs are women.

We have this. lol

All politicians are willy pullers at the despatch box, politics is an affront to democracy regardless of your ‘side’

Time for cross party cooperation, not further bun fights

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

You're giving me your opinion that a name in total with 4 syllables is mispronounced so significantly by the President of the US (so significantly mispronounced he made the first Hindu PM a Muslim) because he apparently didnt know who he was.

Ok. If the New PM was Penny, would he be so ignorant. There is more chance he would no less about Mordaunt than he does Sunak. I can put money on it, he wouldnt. 

Each to their own but if you've seen this before its very easy to understand why its so disgraceful. 

Eh? How did he make him a Muslim?

I think there's a good chance he might have mispronounced Mordaunt to be honest. What are you suggesting - that he's a racist? I think that's a sizeable reach.

As I've said, it's poor and an avoidable error but I don't think it was malicious. Calling it an outrage and disgraceful is a bit OTT. 

4 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Eh? How did he make him a Muslim?

I think there's a good chance he might have mispronounced Mordaunt to be honest. What are you suggesting - that he's a racist? I think that's a sizeable reach.

As I've said, it's poor and an avoidable error but I don't think it was malicious. Calling it an outrage and disgraceful is a bit OTT. 

He called him Rashid. Rashid is a muslim name. Hence why I said that he got it so far wrong he not only insulted the new PM he changed his religion. 

Apparently we are meant to cut the President some slack. 

Its fine to think whatever you want. However, dont tell me to think this is acceptable. Its insulting. Each to their own, like I said. 

Joe Biden has had speech problems throughout his whole life. He is quite an inspirational individual for anyone who has had a stammer I’d imagine. His handling of the Ukraine war has been very good, far better than our bluster and rhetoric, and using it as a PR exercise for certain leaders. As VP he was always pushing to prove that Putin was the real evil of the Western World. He has always been far tougher on him than Obama was. 

• Like 2

Enjoyed that PMQ’s. Sunak is a slippery character who I hate for ideological reasons, and I wouldn’t trust or vote for him. He’s clearer a superior communicator compared to probably the last 3 PM’s before him. Starmer continues to become more confident. While PMQ’s is all theatre, ultimately it’s worthless as the proof will be in the pudding over the next few months.