Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, Fazzer 7 said:

You see that doesn’t sound too radical to me. In fact in this Country and indeed Europe I’d think we were already heading towards those goals. There was me thinking you would come back with stuff like banning international air travel or making it the reserve of the rich. I support pretty much all you advocate. 

I appreciate that. :thumbup:

I've said all along that we can do this transition in a way that doesn't result in too much terrible, while at the same time retaining the same quality of life that we have now (or better). My issue is that I don't think we're doing the above fast enough in all the places it needs to get done. And time is a factor when it comes to the amount of terrible that might happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

If they elect Dutton, then...Trump it is.

I still think they will find a sacrificial woman...parachute Frydenberg into a safe seat in 12 months...then give him top job.

Either way, the nutjob one nation are losing a seat and NOONE can deny this is a vote for climate action and people before profit.

Looks now like the ALP will have a majority, which is a disappointment.

If, and I’m almost certain they will, they elect Dutton as their next leader, they have learnt nothing from what the people have voted for this election. He is possibly a worse human than Morrison.

Frydenburg won’t be back that easy, and with his unpopularity in Victoria, I can’t see them letting him lead the party.

I’m not sure there is a person that can bring the party together now, I think give it a couple more elections and the Greens could genuinely be a bigger chance of gaining power than the liberals.

If they ever want power again, they need to learn, reassess who they are and what they stand for, because the current liberal   position on almost every issue is backwards on behind the thinking of the rest of the county, and now they’ve proved their not the party who can keep the budget in line they’re dead.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

If, and I’m almost certain they will, they elect Dutton as their next leader, they have learnt nothing from what the people have voted for this election. He is possibly a worse human than Morrison.

Frydenburg won’t be back that easy, and with his unpopularity in Victoria, I can’t see them letting him lead the party.

I’m not sure there is a person that can bring the party together now, I think give it a couple more elections and the Greens could genuinely be a bigger chance of gaining power than the liberals.

If they ever want power again, they need to learn, reassess who they are and what they stand for, because the current liberal   position on almost every issue is backwards on behind the thinking of the rest of the county, and now they’ve proved their not the party who can keep the budget in line they’re dead.

Deserves every bit of unpopularity that he’s getting there. Did everything he could to undermine Victoria’s response to the pandemic for political reasons. Victorians were real heroes for me. If they’d have folded in 2020 before the vaccine had arrived, I’ve no doubt that it would have quickly spread to the rest of Australia and our relatively benign experience of the pandemic would have been presumably similar to that in Europe, with a much higher death rate, lockdowns, and economic fallout.

As you say, Dutton is much, much worse :(

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

If people like you could decide policy on climate change. What exactly would you do, over say the next decade? 

"people like me" lol yh ok ill play your game...

Ban new coal and gas mines, heavily subsidise renewables and phase out all coal and gas plants within 5-10 year. Tax packaging, and ensure billionaires pay a shit load more tax to cover costs. Ban feedlots increase funding to alternative meat R&D. Plant a billion trees.

Edit- Bugger... just seen that others have things a whole lot better than me... and therein lies the first thing people like me would do... listen to those who know more!

Edited by ozleicester

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

"people like me" lol yh ok ill play your game...

Ban new coal and gas mines, heavily subsidise renewables and phase out all coal and gas plants within 5-10 year. Tax packaging, and ensure billionaires pay a shit load more tax to cover costs. Ban feedlots increase funding to alternative meat R&D. Plant a billion trees.

Edit- Bugger... just seen that others have things a whole lot better than me... and therein lies the first thing people like me would do... listen to those who know more!

I’d have thought the Green lobby would have hi-lighted this. Millions of tonnes of co2 being discharged high in the atmosphere every minute of every day 

image.thumb.png.f4742c6a639e7964bb1b23da31b4ef5c.png

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I’d have thought the Green lobby would have hi-lighted this. Millions of tonnes of co2 being discharged high in the atmosphere every minute of every day 

Why start with the most difficult issues? Much lower hanging fruit such as getting rid of any and all fossil fuel subsidies. Redirect such spending to encourage alternative clean industries in places affected by the phase out of fossil fuels such as coal mining areas.

https://australiainstitute.org.au/post/australian-fossil-fuel-subsidies-surge-to-11-6-billion-in-2021-22/

By all accounts, the US, China, Russia and India are worse, though the rich First World countries that got us to this point in the first place (and have much higher “per head” emissions) have the greatest responsibility to change, and show leadership. Perhaps some sort of carrot and stick approach to help the Third World change, such as technological assistance for transition to renewables with import taxes for goods from high emitting countries.

Moving away from fossil fuels would protect against the sort of price fluctuation problems that we are now experiencing in energy markets around the world. Imagine if Europe had already weened itself off of Russian gas, and fossil fuels generally.

In Australia, renewables are simply cheaper generally, but require investment in the electricity grid to cope with distributed generation and storage. There has been literally no attempt at all to encourage electric car usage here. On the contrary, they seem to be actively discouraged with luxury car taxes and proposed additional road use charges. I’m hoping the new government will at least make a start on some of this, and perhaps build a consensus for bolder action, though time is running out.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

7 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Id have thought ignorant client denying trogolodytes would have figured they were wrong and would be acting to help. Im pretty sure the burning fossil fuels has been recognised and wouldve been acted on if not for the aforementioned.

8 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

And if it were the biggest elephant in the room I would have mentioned it in my assessment.

But it isn't - energy generation and single personal land-based transport are - which is why they are the higher priority. (Sources available upon request.)

On 21/05/2022 at 21:16, leicsmac said:

Well, could it be that we're finally getting elected governments that treat climate change with the seriousness it deserves? Glory be.

Good to see from Aus.

Scomo pissing of West Australians by backing Clvoe Palmer attempts to open the borders, calling us cave dwellers etc has clearing bitten them on the arse in WA.  If not for that it would have been very very close.

On 18/05/2022 at 12:49, Dames said:

Tories have been in power for the past 12 years and further than that the vast majority of the past 100 yet they’ve done nothing and i mean absolutely nothing to sort out migration.

It will never change because its a tactic to keep people like you consistently angry because without that anger people would see through them in a second and they’d never see power again.

The problem with this country is that so many people are angry and they will vote according to that anger. If a Labour or ‘leftie’ opposition leader offered everyone free 50 inch TV’s most people in the Country would vote against it because the Conservatives will point out that means Ahmed from Afghanistan would get one too and they can’t be having that. 

Agree with a lot of this, but previously they could blame the EU or the red tape connected to the EU, they no longer have that excuse, so will be losing votes because of it. 

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Agree with a lot of this, but previously they could blame the EU or the red tape connected to the EU, they no longer have that excuse, so will be losing votes because of it. 

They are trying to shift the blame to ‘leftie lawyers’ which will work on the more knuckle dragging based members of their fanbase but I think they could lose a lot of ground to the Lib Dems in the South. I work with a lot of people based in Surrey and they are mortified as traditional Conservative voters the approach this Government is taking to everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Haha Leicsmac, absolutely no offence but these two posts did make me laugh a lot. Mainly because, whilst in Rome after we conceded the goal from ANOTHER set piece and in an annoyed rage, i weirdly thought of you behind a keyboard musing something like...

'whilst our set piece failings are undoubtedly poor, whats coming up with regards to climate change in the next few years will make conceding goals from a set piece look like a sunday afternoon stroll in the meadows, and thats whats we truly all need to be concerned about'

Dont take that the wrong way!!

Tbh our record from corners is probably the only thing that annoys me more than inaction on this matter.

Unforgivable. :P

• Haha 3

I think it’s quite clear that the curtain is coming down on democracy in the US and elsewhere. A war needs to be waged against the billionaires that are usurping political power using their immense wealth.

I wonder if it is already too late, and the institutions of democracy have already been subverted in what is supposed to be the greatest democracy in the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/23/americas-billionaire-class-is-funding-anti-democratic-forces

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i'm putting money on the Sue Gray report being released on Thursday... right before parliament go into Recess. 

the guy is Teflon. 

I'm also fairly certain he will eventually go... just in time for the Tories to bring in a new leader for the election so that they can claim a fresh start and a clean slate. No doubt people will believe it and vote them back in....

Now i'm not saying that a new leader will be as bad as Boris and actually they will have to pivot away from the last few years to show a fresh approach.... but it is concerning that we could carry on with another 5 years of Tory government. 

If the last 2 years doesn't bring change from the electorate... nothing will. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Not here to defend the huge unfettered expansion of the global commercial aviation sector and the comparative lack of regulation, but all hydrocarbon fuels produce harmful effects from combustion at close quarters. There are hundreds of studies into the effects of vehicle exhaust from petrol and diesel exhaust. In addition to the consequences for climate change, also, there are the harmful effects to public health. PM2.5 are far more acute at ground level - as is the formation and trapping of N0X in our towns and cities.

The relative amount of exhaust emissions depends upon combustor temperature and pressure, fuel to air ratio and the extent to which fuel is atomised and mixed with inlet air. 3.5% of the world's emissions (which is the part aviation fuel plays) is by far the most efficiently combusted. The other 96.5%? All those trucks, cars, ships, trains and tankers? All those chemical plants, brickworks, cement manufacturers, by the thousands and millions? 
Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

As sort of funny as it is...it really isn't. I want one or all of the following things to happen.

A) admit he lied and go

B) acknowledge, sincerely, the issue with blatantly breaking rules HE set and the majority of us followed

C) get on with the fuching job of fixing the cost of living crisis/ crap state of Britain's energy

D) call an election