Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

50 minutes ago, rachhere said:

With things so delicately poised for them at the moment , why did he even risk putting her back in that role. Just madness. 

Because they don't actually care about practice and standards. They're so very comfortable that they believe themselves to be Teflon? 

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think that’s a reasonable response 

I’m guessing that sunak knows that braverman’s position will become untenable over time as evidence of her breaches come to light. He looks like he is trying to protect her but he is likely just playing the game. I doubt he wants her there but had to do it as the price of getting an easy ride with no membership vote. 

As the old saying goes "keep your friends close and your enemies closer ".

8 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Misdirection to score points, the UK is singularly unsuited for fracking anyway

Quite possibly so, but it needed to be done anyhow.

7 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I knew you’d welcome that :thumbup:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-63403323

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63384167

Like I said, because any sane person would.

16 hours ago, Dunge said:

I think it’s understandable that Sunak would give himself more time for this economic statement. The whole selling point of him for the Conservatives is that he knows what he’s doing on the economy. It’s vital for them from a political standpoint. So it only makes sense that he’ll want a bit more time to get it right and for it to fit his vision.

As for Biden, that’s pretty poor. That’s not dementia, that’s just being a gaffe machine. Even so, it’s always worth remembering just how appalling the alternative option is/was.

Yes agreed, I think the lack of reaction from the markets tells us all we need to know - there is no rush now we have Sunak and Hunt running things.

Sterling has recovered to a level seen pre mini budget. However the last couple percent is down to dollar weakness and the expectation that the B of E will now definitely go for at least a 0.75% rise next week with no budget statement/OBR report to go on. That will provide some additional strength to sterling.  The us economy has also seen some weakness in their housing market which may allow a slightly less aggressive IR policy in both speed and upper limit. 

11 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

This is totally out of control. Braverman had better get her act together. 

Asylum seekers: UK spending almost £7m a day on hotels https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63404485

If you have an issue with spending, perhaps this inept government needs to look at how to actually improve the process and ultimately the lives for those that reach the UK rather than making it as difficult as possible.

Just to reiterate we aren't even in the top 5 host nations according to the UN and according to Amnesty International we weren't even in the top 10 in 2019. Because guess what? Most will simply look to move to the safest and closest country possible and often don't travel any further than neighbouring nations. So despite your fear that millions are marching towards the channel for a hotel room, it's quite clearly not true and the issue isn't those looking for a better life more the Government that you seem to back regardless of what they do.

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

If you have an issue with spending, perhaps this inept government needs to look at how to actually improve the process and lives for those that reach the UK rather than making it as difficult as possible.

Just to reiterate we aren't even in the top 5 host nations according to the UN and according to Amnesty International we weren't even in the top 10 in 2019. Because guess what? Most will simply look to move to the safest and closest country possible and often don't travel any further than neighbouring nations. So despite your fear that millions are marching towards the channel for a hotel room, it's quite clearly not true and the issue isn't those looking for a better life more the Government that you seem to back regardless of what they do.

I think we have a specific issue with Albanians at the moment - that needs to be addressed specifically 

the rest is, as usual, a sh1tshow with seemingly no effective strategy 

11 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

This is totally out of control. Braverman had better get her act together. 

Asylum seekers: UK spending almost £7m a day on hotels https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63404485

6 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

If you have an issue with spending, perhaps this inept government needs to look at how to actually improve the process and ultimately the lives for those that reach the UK rather than making it as difficult as possible.

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think we have a specific issue with Albanians at the moment - that needs to be addressed specifically 

From the article

'The wide-ranging session also heard the Home Office had processed only 4% of asylum claims by migrants who crossed the English Channel last year - of whom 85% had been granted refugee or similar status.'

This is why its costing us so much majority of claimants are genuine asylum seekers but only 4% have been processed.  Incompetence from the Home Office

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

From the article

'The wide-ranging session also heard the Home Office had processed only 4% of asylum claims by migrants who crossed the English Channel last year - of whom 85% had been granted refugee or similar status.'

This is why its costing us so much majority of claimants are genuine asylum seekers but only 4% have been processed.  Incompetence from the Home Office

Yes, this does smack of incompetence, but why. I would have thought a Tory government would have had a vested interest in processing them speedily. 

Thing we have to remember over the last 5 years is similar sized countries like Germany, France, Spain, Italy and Greece all get more Asylum applications then us.  Germany 4 times ours and France 3 times ours

AS.JPG

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, foxes1988 said:

Thing we have to remember over the last 5 years is similar sized countries like Germany, France, Spain, Italy and Greece all get more Asylum applications then us.  Germany 4 times ours and France 3 times ours

AS.JPG

This is because as you say they are closer to those who need help.  Which is why so many coming to the UK - not least the 10k Albanian men looking for work) are not genuine asylum seekers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

This is because as you say they are closer to those who need help.  Which is why so many coming to the UK - not least the 10k Albanian men looking for work) are not genuine asylum seekers.

Again though I'm not sure that's a uniquely UK problem though which it is often depicted of asylum seekers to the UK in the media. I'm not sure proximity is much of an indicator of genuine asylum status.  Think there is a little bit more nuance to this then simply if you travel over x miles you aren't genuine.

9 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

Again though I'm not sure that's a uniquely UK problem though which it is often depicted of asylum seekers to the UK in the media. I'm not sure proximity is much of an indicator of genuine asylum status.  Think there is a little bit more nuance to this then simply if you travel over x miles you aren't genuine.

But you accept that 10k known Albanian men - 2% of their adult male population - coming here is going to 99% economic migration?

40 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Yes, this does smack of incompetence, but why. I would have thought a Tory government would have had a vested interest in processing them speedily. 

Not this one,  there interest is in keeping it in the news so people like you get excited.  They then put even more dreconian measures foward and your satisfied for a short time.  Until that is shown to be shit and the process starts all over. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

But you accept that 10k known Albanian men - 2% of their adult male population - coming here is going to 99% economic migration?

No because being from Albania or being a Man doesnt mean you don't need asylum.  Without knowing more details about each application we simply don't know.

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see Dan Wootton got even more unhinged last night at the sight of Starmer meeting Bill Gates. He went full tin foil.

Something really needs to be done, whilst his meltdowns are slightly amusing, he is the last person that should be allowed in front of an easily influenced audience. 

22 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Not this one,  there interest is in keeping it in the news so people like you get excited.  They then put even more dreconian measures foward and your satisfied for a short time.  Until that is shown to be shit and the process starts all over. 

Well then there needs to be a cross party debate and resolution to this problem. With the population in the uk nearing 70 million an estimated 5+ million of that attributed to immigration in the last decade, “I believe that’s the figur I’ve read” its clear it can’t continue at the same rate, is it any wonder services and infrastructure can’t cope with demand. 

And why do people from anywhere just think they can wade into any country and expect it’s government to provide for them, yes there are genuine asylum seekers who should be and are catered for. But a great many just aren’t, they are economic migrants seeking a better life. There are regulated means of coming here to live and work. These people such as those crossing the channel seek only to bypass that system, probably because they know they wouldn’t qualify. But you’re right the whole thing is a mess, and yes people like *me do get excited, well not so much excited as angry. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dames said:

I see Dan Wootton got even more unhinged last night at the sight of Starmer meeting Bill Gates. He went full tin foil.

Something really needs to be done, whilst his meltdowns are slightly amusing, he is the last person that should be allowed in front of an easily influenced audience. 

Folk who are stupid enough to both watch and take in GB news deserve everything they get. In fact whilst we’re on topic, I’d rather us deport them than refugees and asylum seekers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Has it been explored why Albanians? My immediate thought is that it may have something to do with the UK’s support for Albania and subsequently Kosovo when Serbia/Yugoslavia attack those countries. 

The link will then be family they have based here - the same way that for example Turks would choose Germany as their second home 

2 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Folk who are stupid enough to both watch and take in GB news deserve everything they get. In fact whilst we’re on topic, I’d rather us deport them than refugees and asylum seekers.

Of course irony being Wootton was born and raised in New Zealand. His residency in the UK is due to parentage. Without that, he would have no way of qualifying to work here. 

Sums the fella up he ran from the Sun before the Depp libel trial could be concluded. The very sad fallout of Caroline Flack’s death proves what an awful person he is. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I'm all for free speech and letting people decide what they want to watch (even the stupid ones) but the stuff he spouts can no longer pretend to be 'news'. 

• Like 1