Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

36 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sunak must go to COP27, no excuses, do not care who your election backers were (O&G heavy *cough* *cough*) and don’t forbid  King Charles from going either ffs

EDIT So irritated by this, I just emailed Theresa May (my MP) and expressed my dismay at

• Sunak not going to COP27
  • The ridiculous prohibition of the King attending

What possible reasoning could there be behind both Sunak not going and and furthermore King Charles be dissuaded from going?

Surely it isn't something so merely cynical and short-sighted as pressure from corporate backers in fossil fuel companies?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

What possible reasoning could there be behind both Sunak not going and and furthermore King Charles be dissuaded from going?

Surely it isn't something so merely cynical and short-sighted as pressure from corporate backers in fossil fuel companies?

Its an attempt to appease the right wingers that might have been considering joining or voting for Reform UK. 

As usual its a short sighted strategy to grab a headline or two. 

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its an attempt to appease the right wingers that might have been considering joining or voting for Reform UK. 

As usual its a short sighted strategy to grab a headline or two. 

I would suggest that surely no-one can be that short-sighted and self-interested.

Sadly, empirical evidence proves to the contrary.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I would suggest that surely no-one can be that short-sighted and self-interested.

Exactly. The Tory Party has proven exactly this in the past 6 years, even more so the past year. 

It’s almost like the Sunak backers for his election had a strong oil and gas background……

Edited by Dahnsouff

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Didn’t fancy a rowing boat to Sharm and back ? 

30 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Not sure it will be a good look when the intergalactic maid turns up and discovers we crashed the species for short term fiscal benefit

On another note - I hope you and yours are ok after the horrific situation in Seoul. 

Perhaps he thinks the commitments made at COP26 25 24 etc are sufficient doesn't want to commit to more measures only a year later, at this time which will makes this country poorer whilst the big polluters do nothing and laugh at us.

*waiting for a certain poster to comment, "no one will be laughing in 30 years when we're all under water".

49 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Didn’t fancy a rowing boat to Sharm and back ? 

....could you unpack this one for me a bit, please?

41 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure it will be a good look when the intergalactic maid turns up and discovers we crashed the species for short term fiscal benefit

On another note - I hope you and yours are ok after the horrific situation in Seoul. 

Nah, we've talked about this before - viewing figures for "Terran Shore" have never been higher in over twenty colonised solar systems as the season finale approaches.

NB. Thankfully, everyone I know is safe and well and I thank you for asking.

34 minutes ago, Otis said:

Perhaps he thinks the commitments made at COP26 25 24 etc are sufficient doesn't want to commit to more measures only a year later, at this time which will makes this country poorer whilst the big polluters do nothing and laugh at us.

*waiting for a certain poster to comment, "no one will be laughing in 30 years when we're all under water".

At least have the testicular fortitude to @ me next time :D

The argument that "other countries are doing nothing so we should too" (even if that were entirely accurate, which it isn't) as well as "it costs too much" are both logically flawed, for reasons covered extensively on here before.

If Sunak and the other powers that be think as described here, then they're simply wrong.

• Like 2

Tbh, PM’s and kings making noises at COP27 isn’t what matters. It’s what we do. It’s not like we aren’t attending as a nation. 

we hosted COP26 and we need to make sure that commitments made there are acted upon. 

the policies that the govt engages with are what matters - sunak made noises about no more wind farms in the summer - he has to show his colours on this now he’s in situ 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Tbh, PM’s and kings making noises at COP27 isn’t what matters. It’s what we do. It’s not like we aren’t attending as a nation. 

we hosted COP26 and we need to make sure that commitments made there are acted upon. 

the policies that the govt engages with are what matters - sunak made noises about no more wind farms in the summer - he has to show his colours on this now he’s in situ 

This is also true. Talk is cheap.

However, taking the events seriously by sending the highest-level representation is one small means to ensure that action takes place.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

In fairness, more wind farms aren't the solution as they don't provide consistent power unless significant storage is an option.  We need to be looking at other sources, such as modular nuclear and tidal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

In fairness, more wind farms aren't the solution as they don't provide consistent power unless significant storage is an option.  We need to be looking at other sources, such as modular nuclear and tidal.

Yes. A suite of solutions is called for rather than one magic bullet - fast breeder, thorium fission, wind, hydro, solar and tidal.

Until we get fusion working, that is.

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If Sunak and the other powers that be think as described here, then they're simply wrong.

So, if you think previous COP 1-26 commitments don't go far enough, then I'm interested to know what you think countries should commit to & what "penalties" they should receive if they don't meet agreed conditions. 

7 minutes ago, kenny said:

Appreciate the wind farm element but more of them are a part of the solution 

agree that tidal should be something we exploited many years ago …..it’s guaranteed reliable and 100% predictable 

maybe they all believe that fusion will come riding to the rescue within the next two decades ……

Yes. A suite of solutions is called for rather than one magic bullet - fast breeder, thorium fission, wind, hydro, solar and tidal.

Until we get fusion working, that is.

I take you have seen the solar farm project being adopted in Morocco? My wife has been involved in the infrastructure UK end and that seems like a good idea until Putin cuts the cable.

1 minute ago, Otis said:

So, if you think previous COP 1-26 commitments don't go far enough, then I'm interested to know what you think countries should commit to & what "penalties" they should receive if they don't meet agreed conditions. 

A solution that results in a halting of increase of global carbon emissions that will result in a global temperature increase of less than 2 degrees C compared with the 1850 baseline. I would prefer 1.5 but I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

To be honest, the agreements made at the previous COP meetings should be enough to attain this, it's that countries simply aren't sticking to the timeline.

Regarding penalties...there's no human governing authority with the power or inclination to enforce them, so the subject of discussing them is rather moot. Of course, the Earth will, in time, take that role. And the penalties it will inflict, on everyone in general and those in vulnerable areas in particular, will be very, very harsh. We're beginning to see that already.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

I take you have seen the solar farm project being adopted in Morocco? My wife has been involved in the infrastructure UK end and that seems like a good idea until Putin cuts the cable.

Saharan solar farms are a good idea, yes.

Of course there will always be nutters driven by self-interested geopolitics, but the ideas themselves must be implemented regardless. Not doing so leads to unacceptable future cost.