Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

9 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

These constant lockdowns can’t be good for the Chinese economy. If their vaccine was as effective as the western ones have been, they could surely open up. They have no chance of keeping it out entirely, so lockdowns will go on indefinitely.

We haven’t adopted a zero covid policy, thank god. 

49 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Without transposing this to another thread or derailing this one, a thought occurred to me. Are these lockdowns really necessary or is it a form state control?

Xi has set his stall on zero covid. They can’t about turn on that. It means lockdowns forever as zero covid isn’t possible 

21 minutes ago, Parafox said:

So, China doesn't have the same vaccines as the West? Didn't know that.

Well, I may well be out of date as I haven’t been following much with Covid recently, but at least initially they had developed their own Sino something or other vaccine. It wasn’t generally considered to be as effective as the western ones.

As I say, I’m not sure what they are using now, so this is somewhat conjecture on my part. Just can’t think of any other logical reason to not open up if their population is as protected as we appear to be in the West. Generally, opening up with a fully vaccinated population seems to have gone quite well elsewhere.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

15 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Xi has set his stall on zero covid. They can’t about turn on that. It means lockdowns forever as zero covid isn’t possible 

8 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Well, I may well be out of date as I haven’t been following much with Covid recently, but at least initially they had developed their own Sino something or other vaccine. It wasn’t generally considered to be as effective as the western ones.

As I say, I’m not sure what they are using now, so this is somewhat conjecture on my part. Just can’t think of any other logical reason to not open up if their population is as protected as we appear to be in the West. Generally, opening up with a fully vaccinated population seems to have gone quite well elsewhere.

I don’t think the older population have engaged enough with the vaccination scheme - hence the decision to restrict outbreaks as best they can

the line of thought was that the zero covid policy wouldn’t last long past the congress where xi was confirmed for a third term. 

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don’t think the older population have engaged enough with the vaccination scheme - hence the decision to restrict outbreaks as best they can

the line of thought was that the zero covid policy wouldn’t last long past the congress where xi was confirmed for a third term. 

Like it was ever in doubt 😂

1 hour ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Little off topic (not really) but fingers crossed Bolsonaro gets the bin tonight in Brazil. Awful, awful man. 

If only because it offers a chance of saving huge areas of the rain forest I hope you’re right. But he won’t go quietly. 

17 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

If only because it offers a chance of saving huge areas of the rain forest I hope you’re right. But he won’t go quietly. 

Not to mention the swathe of vile, far right stances that he takes on things. Hope he disappears along with his beliefs. 

• Like 2

I’ve always felt that rich countries should pay Brazil (and others) to maintain the rainforest, as long as the revenue doesn’t just go to an elite few. It is too important to simply leave it to market forces.

Will Bolsonaro go quietly? Will Lula be able to halt the decline of the rainforest? :fc:

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I’ve always felt that rich countries should pay Brazil (and others) to maintain the rainforest, as long as the revenue doesn’t just go to an elite few. It is too important to simply leave it to market forces.

Will Bolsonaro go quietly? Will Lula be able to halt the decline of the rainforest? :fc:

I think they tried that a little while back, but Bolsanaro wasn't interested. Blokes like him get off on having power over other people, it's not just about the money. He simply wanted control, even if giving it up would have made him richer.

I think given the closeness of the vote Lula will have his work cut out, but here's hoping.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I think they tried that a little while back, but Bolsanaro wasn't interested. Blokes like him get off on having power over other people, it's not just about the money. He simply wanted control, even if giving it up would have made him richer.

I think given the closeness of the vote Lula will have his work cut out, but here's hoping.

I imagine Lula would be much more receptive to such ideas

Q to @leicsmac - Is it true that the forests of Canada are actually more important in terms of generating oxygen?

Not that we should be happy about rainforest destruction of course, but just curious about the science.

As for Xi, that situation really is an indictment of authoritarianism. Sticking to his blatantly unfeasible “Zero Covid” policy because one man can’t admit he’s wrong. Crazy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Q to @leicsmac - Is it true that the forests of Canada are actually more important in terms of generating oxygen?

Not that we should be happy about rainforest destruction of course, but just curious about the science.

As for Xi, that situation really is an indictment of authoritarianism. Sticking to his blatantly unfeasible “Zero Covid” policy because one man can’t admit he’s wrong. Crazy.

From what I can tell, rainforests are a more effective carbon sink per square metre than boreal or temperate forests, which would make the Amazon and other rainforests more important, even if they are marginally smaller. Though it is difficult to be certain - I'd have to read up more to be absolutely sure of that.

• Like 1

1500 illegal immigrants arrived through Dover again this weekend. According to the Telegraph the situation is now so desperate they will start placing them in hotels along paying members of the public. They are also initiating a scheme similar to the Ukranian refugee one, whereby you can be paid to take them into your homes. So if there are any willing volunteers nows your chance to help.

19 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

1500 illegal immigrants arrived through Dover again this weekend. According to the Telegraph the situation is now so desperate they will start placing them in hotels along paying members of the public. They are also initiating a scheme similar to the Ukranian refugee one, whereby you can be paid to take them into your homes. So if there are any willing volunteers nows your chance to help.

Fazzer - what's your suggestion in trying to stop this issue? 

Numerous posters here have stated that a proper application system before they make the trip may alleviate the demand of accommodating immigrants in interim during their application status 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Fazzer - what's your suggestion in trying to stop this issue? 

Numerous posters here have stated that a proper application system before they make the trip may alleviate the demand of accommodating immigrants in interim during their application status 

This has to be the solution. Then Anyone who arrives in GB without authorisation can be returned. 

22 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh my God, I can't imagine someone in the hotel room next to me being a total stranger from a different country! :schlupp:

"There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners now live abroad."

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/astonishing-holiday-complaints/

• Haha 4