Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

3 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

You'd be better asking Suella Braverman. I don't how to stop them. It would seem you can't. As long as they come this idiotic weak faux Conservative government will take them and you and I will pay. So far this year 40k have arrived that are known about!! Which includes around 10k Albanians. The Home Office would appear to be on strike when it comes to processing asylum claims, and in any case the Albanians could be retuned almost instantly if there was a will to do so.

This is costing British taxpayers 2.5 billion a year at present, and that is before any of them are given or refused the right to stay.  I do wonder what the reaction would be if say a Border force vessel picked them up in the channel then instead of bringing them here took them back to Calais. No doubt they would be a full scale diplomatic crisislol

£2.5bn is less than 0.2% of annual public spending. We have so much waste in the system that can easily be cut out that is worth billions more. Plus we haven't seen a fraction of immigration just yet. The centre of the earth will soon be uninhabitable, we occupy a nice position towards the north of the world where it won't be 70 degrees everyday, migrants will be flocking here to survive.

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Immigration debate in this country is really bad compared to many places. Possibly worse than America even. Can't remember the last time I heard a normal conversation about it, perhaps pre 2014 ish

There isn’t any debate 🤷‍♂️ Any debate usually ends with those on the right accused of racism. 

Braverman’s tenure becomes ever tenuous by the day

the question is how weak does sunak look to have to sack her - he must have known this was a possibility when he appointed her and he has had to defend her. I’m also pretty sure that her appointment was related to getting her endorsement and that he knew it wouldn’t be a long term one. but the media furore around her may well have been even greater than he expected. 

If she goes then he will have to pick a right winger to placate that side of the party ……any ideas ??

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Braverman’s tenure becomes ever tenuous by the day

the question is how weak does sunak look to have to sack her - he must have known this was a possibility when he appointed her and he has had to defend her. I’m also pretty sure that her appointment was related to getting her endorsement and that he knew it wouldn’t be a long term one. but the media furore around her may well have been even greater than he expected. 

If she goes then he will have to pick a right winger to placate that side of the party ……any ideas ??

There’s a funny scene in the thick of it, where Malcolm reassures Nicola Murray that the PM won’t sack her after a week, because that would make the PM look liked he’d f’d up. But after a year, it’s all the minister rather than the PM if they are sacked.

It feels like that at the moment. Also adds to Armando Iannuci’s excuse for the not making anymore, the reality has surpassed fiction in politics, in its insanity 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

£2.5bn is less than 0.2% of annual public spending. We have so much waste in the system that can easily be cut out that is worth billions more. Plus we haven't seen a fraction of immigration just yet. The centre of the earth will soon be uninhabitable, we occupy a nice position towards the north of the world where it won't be 70 degrees everyday, migrants will be flocking here to survive.

When will this happen?

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

If we as a species (and yes, collective consequences mean a collective problem before the usual deflection about the Chinese is used) keep using gas and oil in the same amount as we do now for much longer, there sure as shit will be no hope left.

But let the future burn for the sake of the present, right?

Honestly, is the problem really that abstract that folks will fuss about this as opposed to that problem?

I along with most law abiding normal rational people want to see this unwanted criminal vandalism stopped. I’m sure the clean up operation isn’t at all environmental friendly, and they really aren’t serving their cause any good whatsoever. The public are getting really pi$$ed off and rightly so. 

1 hour ago, foxes1988 said:

I know your not saying climate change isn't a big issue but the general antipathy at immigration yet indifference towards climate change is a mistake.  If you don't want immigration then climate change is your biggest enemy.

On another note we've left the EU and yet still have lots of refugees coming here that we don't deal with.  Home office doesn't seem able to cope yet this government hasn't had the flack it should for it especially in comparison to the flack the EU got for it (granted thanks to Labour and Tory governments continuing to allow the media to make excuses for them).

Probably because everyone now realises there's naff all that can be done about it and more than likely the French, who have long wanted rid of the calais problem, are allowing refugees to be trafficed to the UK. I was reading about that Rwanda deal, apparantly it's not just a case of us paying Rwanda to take our refugees, but we pay Rwanda to take them and for every refugee we send, they send us a vulnerable refugee, which will consequently put more strain on a broken social care system. 

6 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I along with most law abiding normal rational people want to see this unwanted criminal vandalism stopped. I’m sure the clean up operation isn’t at all environmental friendly, and they really aren’t serving their cause any good whatsoever. The public are getting really pi$$ed off and rightly so. 

I saw the BoE earlier, very funny, although i do agree the perpetrators should be prosecuted. I am a tree hugger, but these people are engaging in mindless destruction for the heck of it, i bet half of them couldn't engage in a debate about a transition other than 'get rid of oil right now old chum'

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Probably because everyone now realises there's naff all that can be done about it and more than likely the French, who have long wanted rid of the calais problem, are allowing refugees to be trafficed to the UK. I was reading about that Rwanda deal, apparantly it's not just a case of us paying Rwanda to take our refugees, but we pay Rwanda to take them and for every refugee we send, they send us a vulnerable refugee, which will consequently put more strain on a broken social care system. 

It was clear that immigration wasn't going to go down drastically after leaving the EU but that Asylum applications would increase.  Yet we haven't set up the proper methods to deal with this.   All prosperous nations have large amounts asylum applications but its our fault that we aren't dealing with ours predominantly the government in charge.

10 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

That maybe the case but a pissed off public wont stop them. for every arrest another will come along.  Especially as more baby boomers retire with more time on their hands.

They are fighting for the lives of future generations.  An arrest and criminal record is not going to deter them.

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

I don’t understand why people are more angry at some twatty activists lobbing easily removable paint from public buildings or multi national billion dollar company premises than they are at the criminal vandalism to the environment? 

For me it’s the same as conservative leaning folk being more angry about people receiving “benefits” (ie support) than they are conservative politicians pilfering from the public pocket

The cost to the public purse of ministerial sackings/reshuffles this year is in excess of £700million.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

I don’t understand why people are more angry at some twatty activists lobbing easily removable paint from public buildings or multi national billion dollar company premises than they are at the criminal vandalism to the environment? 

For me it’s the same as conservative leaning folk being more angry about people receiving “benefits” (ie support) than they are conservative politicians pilfering from the public pocket

We live in a first world country that consumes far too much to ever be considered sustainable. There is a poster on here who works for Amazon, he says he delivers over 300 parcels A DAY. The criminal vandalism to the environment is being done by each and every one of us every single day, probably why people aren't so angry at it, and more angry at middle class GTA wannabes causing wonton damage

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I'm pretty sure the environmental impact of cleaning up some paint/milk/cake is the equivalent of the world's smallest fish having the world's shortest wee in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. As an argument it is ridiculous and does your arguments no credit. 

The ends justifies the means, you can argue these methods are doing more harm than good, but if a bit of paint/milk/cake actually did save the environment then it would be worth it. As I've said before, I don't condone these actions but I won't condemn anyone for trying something in the face of decades of government apathy.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I'm pretty sure the environmental impact of cleaning up some paint/milk/cake is the equivalent of the world's smallest fish having the world's shortest wee in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. As an argument it is ridiculous and does your arguments no credit. 

The ends justifies the means, you can argue these methods are doing more harm than good, but if a bit of paint/milk/cake actually did save the environment then it would be worth it. As I've said before, I don't condone these actions but I won't condemn anyone for trying something in the face of decades of government apathy.

I think firing a few hundred firework rockets at downing street would have more of an effect.

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Can't be too far away can it given it was 40 degrees in this country over summer!?!?! Housing in Scandanavian countries, best investment you can make if you plan on living comfortably on planet earth for a few more decades

There's a big difference between 40 and 70.

70 just won't happen. It's laughably  scaremongering. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

We live in a first world country that consumes far too much to ever be considered sustainable. There is a poster on here who works for Amazon, he says he delivers over 300 parcels A DAY. The criminal vandalism to the environment is being done by each and every one of us every single day, probably why people aren't so angry at it, and more angry at middle class GTA wannabes causing wonton damage

It's criminal damage, I expect they'd think differently if they were spraying orange paint over your house/car or stopping you from getting to work.

Or perhaps don't worry about it because there are worse things happening in the world.

Edited by Otis

17 minutes ago, Otis said:

It's criminal damage, I expect they'd think differently if they were spraying orange paint over your house/car or stopping you from getting to work.

Or perhaps don't worry about it because there are worse things happening in the world.

I also expect the police would do the same, sweet FA. 

As I've said before disruptive protests have been going for years. Going to jail is considered a small price to pay for something you truly believe in, and I am happy to let other people kick up a fuss and risk their freedom on my behalf. I will do what I can without breaking the law.

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I also expect the police would do the same, sweet FA. 

As I've said before disruptive protests have been going for years. Going to jail is considered a small price to pay for something you truly believe in, and I am happy to let other people kick up a fuss and risk their freedom on my behalf. I will do what I can without breaking the law.

But isn’t this just style over substance? What have they actually achieved? Isn’t it better to lobby for improved insulation for the less well off? For reduction in use of fossil fuels? Isn’t that more useful than self promotion through grandstanding? They dilute the message in my mind.