Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

25 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Quite symbolic the throwing of paint on premises of millionaires has a similar notion on the eye to this below: 

No one can argue that is good. It’s utterly disgusting and it’s happening day after day 

It's in a heavily Tory voting area. They deserve it for enabling this shambolic Government. 

F around and find out is exactly what's happening here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

There's a big difference between 40 and 70.

70 just won't happen. It's laughably  scaremongering. 

How much you wanna bet it can happen within four decades time. I know an escrow we can set it up with, and beneficiaries can be chosen of the winner of the bet is not alive in 40 years 

43 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

But isn’t this just style over substance? What have they actually achieved? Isn’t it better to lobby for improved insulation for the less well off? For reduction in use of fossil fuels? Isn’t that more useful than self promotion through grandstanding? They dilute the message in my mind.

These things have been lobbied for, petitions have been signed, the average man in the street wants the government to do more. The government must surely know the expectation on them to at the least maintain the environmental promises they made in their manifesto. They are actively seeking to make things worse. Lobbying and petitions haven't worked, paint, cake and glue might stand a chance of getting through, although the message needs to be clear. These new gas and oil contracts go against what they agreed at COP 26 and against what they have pledged with regard climate change. 

That is the cause of these protests and these disruptions. They are not asking to stop oil this very second, but to not deliberately choose to make the situation a lot worse. Obviously the long term aim is to stop oil completely, but there is a realistic expectation that this will be a gradual target. The protests have come from the government trying to take big steps away from it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Captain... said:

These things have been lobbied for, petitions have been signed, the average man in the street wants the government to do more. The government must surely know the expectation on them to at the least maintain the environmental promises they made in their manifesto. They are actively seeking to make things worse. Lobbying and petitions haven't worked, paint, cake and glue might stand a chance of getting through, although the message needs to be clear. These new gas and oil contracts go against what they agreed at COP 26 and against what they have pledged with regard climate change. 

That is the cause of these protests and these disruptions. They are not asking to stop oil this very second, but to not deliberately choose to make the situation a lot worse. Obviously the long term aim is to stop oil completely, but there is a realistic expectation that this will be a gradual target. The protests have come from the government trying to take big steps away from it.

Thank you. This is why I ask questions, I do not see the petitions, these lobbied for changes, but it occurs that perhaps I do not look correctly, do not see. Perhaps I am more concerned with making necessary environmental changes personally, doing my bit, rather than doing a bit for everyone.

12 minutes ago, Captain... said:

On the oil and gas topic I’m honestly not sure of that. I wouldn’t be surprised if the average person on the street now agrees with further oil exploration to secure ‘national security’ and ‘stable prices’ with what’s going on in the world now. 

I defo don’t buy the engagement point. Where have they meaningfully lobbied? The net zero review closed last week, I wonder if just stop oil sent in a response to govt? Would be surprised but I’m here to be proven wrong 

4 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

There isn’t any debate 🤷‍♂️ Any debate usually ends with those on the right accused of racism. 

There must be an honest debate. I am on the left but can see there is a major problem with this issue. I want us to be humane and take our fair share of genuine asylum seekers but not unlimited migrants. Security is important as well when identifying those reaching our shores. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

How much you wanna bet it can happen within four decades time. I know an escrow we can set it up with, and beneficiaries can be chosen of the winner of the bet is not alive in 40 years 

The record temperature ever recorded was 56.7 in 1913. Over 100 years later this hasn't been beaten, yet you think we'll see 70c within the next 40 years.  

Absolute bonkers. 

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Young people glueing themselves to the road or former Brazilian President Bolsonaro.

Who is more infuriating and damaging for the environmental cause? 

Young people. Plenty are 60+.

Extinction rebellion/ just stop oil etc etc are quite a mixture of ages.

36 minutes ago, bovril said:

silly comment on a number of levels

Not really. If you vote for sewage in the sea you get sewage in the sea. The voting records on this are very clear and I doubt even then it’ll stop people in those areas voting Conservative any time soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Quite symbolic the throwing of paint on premises of millionaires has a similar notion on the eye to this below: 

No one can argue that is good. It’s utterly disgusting and it’s happening day after day 

It has been confirmed that it is not sewage. The spokesman from South west water said it was storm overflows, so it is just muddy stormwater.

• Bookmark
The 'sewage spill' at Trevaunance Cove beach, St Agnes, Cornwall has caused a stink
The discoloured sea at Trevaunance Cove, St Agnes has caused a stink

The debate continues over Cornwall's "sewage spill". After the Government and South West Water (SWW) ruled out the brown slick filmed in the sea off St Agnes yesterday (Sunday, October 30) as actually being a sewage spill, Cornish surfers and the Green Party are now stressing that the water DID contain human excrement.

Cornwall Green Party has backed witnesses and condemned what it says is the latest sewage pollution on Cornish beaches. Karen La Borde, a Truro City Councillor and the Green Party’s parliamentary candidate for Truro and Falmouth, said: “Cherilyn Mackrory MP has echoed South West Water’s claim that this was mostly storm water, but local surfers report that there was plenty of all too recognisable human excrement in the mix.

"This is a real danger to human health, as well as harming the marine environment and Cornwall’s reputation as a holiday destination."

Read more: Massive 'sewage spill' wasn't actually sewage, MP says

Joel Henthorn, chair of St Agnes Surf Lifesaving Club, told the BBC the water off Trevaunance Cove was "grey and frothing and smelled of sewage". He added that there were toilet roll remains flowing on to the beach and the smell was "horrible" and "unbearable".

Earlier today, Truro and Falmouth MP Cherilyn Mackrory contacted CornwallLive following a meeting she had with DEFRA ministers this morning. She said: "I have just been informed by officials that following rigorous testing this morning, it has now been confirmed that the brown colouring of the sea yesterday at St Agnes was NOT from sewage.

15 minutes ago, Otis said:

The record temperature ever recorded was 56.7 in 1913. Over 100 years later this hasn't been beaten, yet you think we'll see 70c within the next 40 years.  

Absolute bonkers. 

I don’t think it will defo happen but I think it’s a strong possibility, certainly worth a few quid (which will be worth a lot more in four decades) on a bet. You seem very sure so surely it’s easy money to you? We can set the parameters of what defines ‘centre of the earth’, set an amount, appoint an escrow and set beneficiaries. Could even put a few side bets on. Let me know, will be fun. 

The fact you’re referencing events from over 100 years ago when we’re clearly in an exponential world makes me confident of winning something. 

5 minutes ago, Dames said:

Not really. If you vote for sewage in the sea you get sewage in the sea. The voting records on this are very clear and I doubt even then it’ll stop people in those areas voting Conservative any time soon. 

You say "they" (presumably the population of this area) deserve it - in 2019 the majority of people in that constituency voted for parties other than the Conservatives.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

It has been confirmed that it is not sewage. The spokesman from South west water said it was storm overflows, so it is just muddy stormwater.

• Bookmark
The 'sewage spill' at Trevaunance Cove beach, St Agnes, Cornwall has caused a stink

The debate continues over Cornwall's "sewage spill". After the Government and South West Water (SWW) ruled out the brown slick filmed in the sea off St Agnes yesterday (Sunday, October 30) as actually being a sewage spill, Cornish surfers and the Green Party are now stressing that the water DID contain human excrement.

Cornwall Green Party has backed witnesses and condemned what it says is the latest sewage pollution on Cornish beaches. Karen La Borde, a Truro City Councillor and the Green Party’s parliamentary candidate for Truro and Falmouth, said: “Cherilyn Mackrory MP has echoed South West Water’s claim that this was mostly storm water, but local surfers report that there was plenty of all too recognisable human excrement in the mix.

"This is a real danger to human health, as well as harming the marine environment and Cornwall’s reputation as a holiday destination."

Joel Henthorn, chair of St Agnes Surf Lifesaving Club, told the BBC the water off Trevaunance Cove was "grey and frothing and smelled of sewage". He added that there were toilet roll remains flowing on to the beach and the smell was "horrible" and "unbearable".

Earlier today, Truro and Falmouth MP Cherilyn Mackrory contacted CornwallLive following a meeting she had with DEFRA ministers this morning. She said: "I have just been informed by officials that following rigorous testing this morning, it has now been confirmed that the brown colouring of the sea yesterday at St Agnes was NOT from sewage.

Storm overflows are literally designed to release waste. You need a permit to use them, and the whole argument of legality going on is that water companies are using storm overflows without permits, excessively and regularly (370000 times last year alone). It is storm overflows releasing sewage (very regularly into the River Soar and Sence, as with every river In lowland UK). You do realise water companies don't collect sewage in buckets and pour it into the sea? That is literally what Storm Overflows are for. 

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/storm-overflows-explainer/

Just now, SecretPro said:

Storm overflows are literally designed to release waste. You need a permit to use them, and the whole argument of legality going on is that water companies are using storm overflows without permits, excessively and regularly (370000 times last year alone). It is storm overflows releasing sewage (very regularly into the River Soar and Sence, as with every river In lowland UK). You do realise water companies don't collect sewage in buckets and pour it into the sea? That is literally what Storm Overflows are for. 

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/storm-overflows-explainer/

I know a reasonable amount about drainage and how it is designed, though I personally do minimal work directly for the Water Authorities.

They also use them to prevent foul water drains from overflowing but dumping stormwater run off into the rivers.

As per the link, the discharge has been tested by DEFRA and is free from sewage.

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

I know a reasonable amount about drainage and how it is designed, though I personally do minimal work directly for the Water Authorities.

They also use them to prevent foul water drains from overflowing but dumping stormwater run off into the rivers.

As per the link, the discharge has been tested by DEFRA and is free from sewage.

Then you will know that sewage is being dumped at a ferocious rate all around the UK, illegally, by water companies and that the Tories voted for it to continue and openly admit that this is the case. The evidence is irrefutable.

Edited by SecretPro

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

You say "they" (presumably the population of this area) deserve it - in 2019 the majority of people in that constituency voted for parties other than the Conservatives.

The Tories hold it by a majority of 4.5k. Its an area thats always been Tory.

And if people are too stubborn to hold their nose and vote tactically and enable a Conservative MP they also deserve what they get.

17 minutes ago, kenny said:

• Bookmark

Whataboutery defence aside there. It’s known the government is allowing sewage to outputted into the waterways of this country. Can’t be disputed and my main point still stands. 

Yet a portion of the nation are outraged by someone throwing paint on windows 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I don’t think it will defo happen but I think it’s a strong possibility, certainly worth a few quid (which will be worth a lot more in four decades) on a bet. You seem very sure so surely it’s easy money to you? We can set the parameters of what defines ‘centre of the earth’, set an amount, appoint an escrow and set beneficiaries. Could even put a few side bets on. Let me know, will be fun. 

The fact you’re referencing events from over 100 years ago when we’re clearly in an exponential world makes me confident of winning something. 

I'm not having a bet with a random person on the Internet, sorry to disappoint you I'm not interested in that nonsense. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1