Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

18 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Fish do like a bit of shit to be fair but fish generally aren't the best indicators of water quality, many species can eek out a living in some pretty shitty conditions. The death of our waterways is usually via the process of eutrophication over time and like with most ecological systems the best indicators are the little things, the insect larvae and aquatic insects which are the basis for the food web in most systems. Eutrophication generally kills off those insect larvae and other species which are vulnerable to changes (amphibians, white clawed crayfish etc), less insect larvae mean less food for those higher up the food chain like the fish, less fish is an indicator of less food and less food is an indicator of poor water quality, a lot of the time.

Of course eutrophication is a killer in many ways, usually via the proliferation of algae and the removal or suppression of oxygen in the water. High nitrogen in water is not good, no sir.

I knew that 🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Wonder if Rishi's "everyone will pay their fair share" tax rises will include scrapping the non-dom tax dodging. Y'know, after his wife voluntarily gave hers up after figuring out it was unfair. 

Doubt it somehow. 

As much as it should be done for fairness sake, it only raises £1-3bn I thought?

46 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Stick your arse out of the window and drop it into the street.

And before that, just shit in the street.

And before that, just shit where you are and wonder why they haven’t invented streets yet.

And before that, into your hand and throw it at Ugg, and make some humorous grunting noises.

And before that - match day thread did come to pass. 

• Haha 1

I’m reading a narrative that blames the truss admin for the £50bn black hole 

that’s rubbish - there isn’t an annual £50bn black hole because of the mini budget.  We probably lost a one off £20bn because of the fall out but it won’t repeat.  Is the narrative to hide the fact that it’s more likely down to the last chancellor (who was incumbent for more than a few weeks). 

I accept the energy subsidies are mega expensive but this is also currently a one off cost over the next six months (and that isn’t technically  a mini budget consequence because it was announced ahead of that Friday. 

36 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

As much as it should be done for fairness sake, it only raises £1-3bn I thought?

Hard to figure out just how much it would raise tbh. The fag packet maths by some media on Rishi's wife said she'd go from paying £30k a year to something like £2million.

A worthy amount in my eyes. 

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Hard to figure out just how much it would raise tbh. The fag packet maths by some media on Rishi's wife said she'd go from paying £30k a year to something like £2million.

A worthy amount in my eyes. 

Although I do not disagree that this is not an insignificant amount, it is important to maintain our sights firmly on the bigger tickets (O&G excess profits) that may have a more significant impact on filling the fiscal shortfall

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Although I do not disagree that this is not an insignificant amount, it is important to maintain our sights firmly on the bigger tickets (O&G excess profits) that may have a more significant impact on filling the fiscal shortfall

Or we do both. 

Not really hard is it. 

Just now, Innovindil said:

Wouldn't call a billion or three showboating tbh. 

Nor would I say its a bad idea when getting battered in the polls in any case. 

Its peanuts compared thought, sure get it as its a good look, but get the larger excess profits first

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Its peanuts compared thought, sure get it as its a good look, but get the larger excess profits first

Considering they are going to be sneaking money from every nook and cranny they can find it, I think it's safe to say they'll be going for the larger bits first. 

Just wish I could live in a world where a billion quid was considered peanuts in any aspect. That's about what, £14 per man, woman and child in the UK right now? Jeez. 

Just now, Innovindil said:

Considering they are going to be sneaking money from every nook and cranny they can find it, I think it's safe to say they'll be going for the larger bits first. 

Just wish I could live in a world where a billion quid was considered peanuts in any aspect. That's about what, £14 per man, woman and child in the UK right now? Jeez. 

Why take such a divisive stance? I clearly said compared and yet (like a typical shock-jock-leftie  :ph34r:) you chose you partial quote to suit your narrative

Poor form

10 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

it absolutely is broken. 

As it stands, it is impossible to apply for asylum unless you have your feet on the ground in the UK.   

We don't have any overseas centres at all to allow this to happen in british embassies etc. 

so, by the very nature of our system, we are actively encouraging people to get into boats, pay criminal gangs and try to get to the UK. 

Now clearly, there will be alot of people doing this, that are coming for nefarious reasons, but you can't filter those out. 

If we had an overseas solution, then we could categorically state that ANYONE arriving in the UK via a boat, is an illegal immigrant and should be deported immediately.   As it stands we can't do that. 

This is all by design. 12 years of Tory Government and they've let this get to this point out of choice.

Immigration is and always has been their fallback option - vote for us because if you don't Labour will let everyone in. As things stand politically they are at their most desperate so expect a huge upping of rhetoric but actually less happening.

I'm surprised the people of this country are still stupid enough to fall for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

I would argue that by now is 100% clear what we can do on a personal level, and yes we need to lambast the Government, any Government, for not doing enough to tackle climate change, to press for the big changes, I know personally I have contacted my MP to complain which is sh&tty process, but I would also ask, are people also taking enough personal responsibility? We seem to only like convenient steps to tackle climate change at a personal level

I think I understand what you are saying and I think i agree lol. Another interesting topic coming up in corporate reporting is ‘scope x’ - ie what are you doing to take emissions OUT of the system. An example would be the poster who works for Amazon. If he works out a more efficient delivery system, he will not only be a multi-millionaire but his scope x will be so high that he could take a private jet holiday every week and still be carbon negative.

Point being EVEN IF YOU DONT TRUST politicians to deal with emissions, there are so many ways you can make meaningful change (if you can be arsed), make a stack of cash and not waste orange paint..

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Why take such a divisive stance? I clearly said compared and yet (like a typical shock-jock-leftie  :ph34r:) you chose you partial quote to suit your narrative

Poor form

29 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

And I clearly said in any aspect. That includes when compared to G&O profits. :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

I would argue that by now is 100% clear what we can do on a personal level, and yes we need to lambast the Government, any Government, for not doing enough to tackle climate change, to press for the big changes, I know personally I have contacted my MP to complain which is sh&tty process, but I would also ask, are people also taking enough personal responsibility? We seem to only like convenient steps to tackle climate change at a personal level

this is true, but not in the reach of EVERYBODY. certainly not to a point of making a radical difference. 

I really want to be able to put Solar on my roof and battery storage in the garage.  I'd also love to buy an EV so that I could run on clean energy that i've produced. 

I can't afford to do any of those things though.

So what can I do? - well the house is filled with LED lights. I have turned over an area of the garden to growing my own veg.  I've planted some fruit trees.  I work from home 4 days a week, so i've reduced my commuting pollution(it's 55 miles each way to work) 

I live in a town where I invariably can walk everywhere, so I tend to do this.  I also tend to shop local where I can at our local butchers, greengrocers and bakery. 

We sit in one room at night, with one light on and we still haven't had the heating on yet this year (albeit, that is more to do with cost than a climate effort!) 

There is a limit though to what effect this has, and the "bigger solutions" are beyond me financially. i "might" be able to find the £7500 to get a battery storage solution fitted, or another £10,000 for Solar PV. But realistically, I don't have that cash "spare". 

Change HAS to come at a national and international level.  The number of offices I see with lights left on all night far outweigh the positive impact i can have. 

• Like 1