Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

33 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The government always intended to introduce these measures but they had already read the Sue Gray report, so they planned the best time to introduce them. **** anyone suffering in between.

I think it's worse than that - political expediency, nothing more. Forced into a policy they're ideologically opposed to for entirely cynical reasons. 

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Mind-boggling that any MP convicted of a crime is allowed to remain in post.

Wouldn't be surprised at all in the slightest if Mr. Vaz supported her somehow..

15 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-61591802

Claudia Webbe lost her appeal but her sentence got reduced so she won't face a recall petition. 

15 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Mind-boggling that any MP convicted of a crime is allowed to remain in post.

The analysis at that link says she could still face a recall petition if suspended from the Commons for more than 10 days due to her conviction. No idea how likely that is to happen, but must be a possibility?

I tend to disagree that any conviction should disqualify an MP. Maybe it depends what is defined as a "crime"?

I don't think an MP convicted of obstruction at a peaceful protest should be disqualified, but an MP convicted of a violent assault should. 

A one-off instance of drunkenness would not disqualify an MP, perhaps just meaning a lesser penalty, whereas repeatedly being drunk and disorderly should lead to disqualification, I'd say.

I don't think Webbe should have been an MP in the first place as she's not up to the job. She was just shoehorned into the seat as a loyal supporter of then-leader Corbyn due to the Vaz fiasco just before the election.

But I do have slightly more sympathy for her after the appeal. Firstly, it seems she didn't threaten to throw acid on the woman, just said "you should be acid" (maybe she should be recalled for inarticulacy alone!).

It has also become clear that the woman she harassed was indeed having an affair with Webbe's partner and exchanging naked photos with him.

So Webbe was justified in being angry and upset - though absolutely not justified in threatening to send naked photos to her family or making repeated silent calls. Such conduct merits suspension and recall from parliament.

For the sake of the people of Leicester East, I hope she has the decency to stand down or does face recall. If so, Labour would have to be careful over candidate selection and local opinion or the byelection could be lost.

• Like 2

my local MP has been found guilty of perjury.... but nothing has been done about it and he is still an MP.   which is nice.  a guess an MP lying in court is good practice for lying in parliament and to the electorate. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

my local MP has been found guilty of perjury.... but nothing has been done about it and he is still an MP.   which is nice.  a guess an MP lying in court is good practice for lying in parliament and to the electorate. 

Yes, it's at least a 5 year training course.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Caught breaking the rules. So he changes the rules. 

Would expect nothing less from the corrupt cvnt. Think Rory Stewart was underselling the problem yesterday when he said we're turning into Berlusconi's Italy under Johnson.

Still, funny floppy hair haha!

Nothing screams guilt like changing the rules to make any potential punishment far more lenient.

I simply cannot believe that enough Tory MP's haven't had enough of this behaviour to put a letter of no confidence in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

I thought Perjury carried a potential prison sentence:

The most common penalty for perjury is a fine and/or jail, but the amount of the fine or jail time can depend on judicial discretion in sentencing. It’s possible for there to be a minimum sentence length as a penalty, perhaps one year, and a maximum length of sentencing at five to 10 years per charge.

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Would expect nothing less from the corrupt cvnt. Think Rory Stewart was underselling the problem yesterday when he said we're turning into Berlusconi's Italy under Johnson.

Still, funny floppy hair haha!

And numerous (crap) appearances on "Have I Got News For you?" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LVocey said:

Nothing screams guilt like changing the rules to make any potential punishment far more lenient.

I simply cannot believe that enough Tory MP's haven't had enough of this behaviour to put a letter of no confidence in.

Maybe they're worried about Priti Patel getting the job.