Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Will just add to cost for business - desperate nutter - but it will play well amongst his brexit support 

We are a weird nation in that respect, as we’ve never entirely moved away.

I got taught in metric at school but I’ve often had to use imperial measurements at work, not so much in the last 10-15 years.

We still use imperial for height, weight and distance, I still order from the butchers in imperial became the American BBQ channels I follow on YouTube use imperial and the butchers are happy to use it.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We are a weird nation in that respect, as we’ve never entirely moved away.

I got taught in metric at school but I’ve often had to use imperial measurements at work, not so much in the last 10-15 years.

We still use imperial for height, weight and distance, I still order from the butchers in imperial became the American BBQ channels I follow on YouTube use imperial and the butchers are happy to use it.  

Surely anyone under 25 doesn’t know or understand imperial ??

This is not a good direction for a forward looking country to take but then again, it’s no surprise then! 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Surely anyone under 25 doesn’t know or understand imperial ??

This is not a good direction for a forward looking country to take but then again, it’s no surprise then! 

You don’t think they understand miles, or feet and inches? 
Stones and pounds?

Pints?

I agree it’s a step backwards but I think it’s fascinating that imperial still exists, even though it’s not been taught in schools for 40+ years.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Strokes said:

You don’t think they understand miles, or feet and inches? 
Stones and pounds?

Pints?

I agree it’s a step backwards but I think it’s fascinating that imperial still exists, even though it’s not been taught in schools for 40+ years.

The company I work for exports to Ireland and every weight is in pounds and ounces.

• Like 1

The sad thing is that you know this will work and win votes. Nostalgia is a powerful emotion and playing to nostalgia and promising things will go back to “the good old days” is a powerful political trick that’s been used since the Roman times.

Really makes you appreciate those Romans and want to go back to Roman values in a way…

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The sad thing is that you know this will work and win votes. Nostalgia is a powerful emotion and playing to nostalgia and promising things will go back to “the good old days” is a powerful political trick that’s been used since the Roman times.

Really makes you appreciate those Romans and want to go back to Roman values in a way…

Latching on to the past at the expense of the future has always been a critical human weakness.

32 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

18 yard box?

actually, there Is lots of usage of imperial in certain scenarios

This is I suppose a non story - it will end up whereby it’s no longer a criminal offence to sell in imperial ahead of metric - and yet the current law is no longer enforced anyway. So they’re just going to repeal a law that isn’t actually being used …. 

• Like 2

It's important that we weigh dead cats in stones and pounds, not kilos......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_strategy

The dead cat stategy, also known as deadcatting, is the political strategy of deliberately introducing a shocking or important story to divert mass and social media discourse away from problems or failures in other areas.

While he was mayor of London, Boris Johnson wrote a column for the Telegraph in which he described the "dead cat" as a piece of Australian political strategy about what to do in a situation in which the argument is being lost and "the facts are overwhelmingly against you". There is one thing that is absolutely certain about throwing a dead cat on the dining room table – and I don’t mean that people will be outraged, alarmed, disgusted. That is true, but irrelevant. The key point, says my Australian friend, is that everyone will shout, ‘Jeez, mate, there’s a dead cat on the table!’ In other words, they will be talking about the dead cat – the thing you want them to talk about – and they will not be talking about the issue that has been causing you so much grief.

59 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

It's important that we weigh dead cats in stones and pounds, not kilos......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_strategy

The dead cat stategy, also known as deadcatting, is the political strategy of deliberately introducing a shocking or important story to divert mass and social media discourse away from problems or failures in other areas.

While he was mayor of London, Boris Johnson wrote a column for the Telegraph in which he described the "dead cat" as a piece of Australian political strategy about what to do in a situation in which the argument is being lost and "the facts are overwhelmingly against you". There is one thing that is absolutely certain about throwing a dead cat on the dining room table – and I don’t mean that people will be outraged, alarmed, disgusted. That is true, but irrelevant. The key point, says my Australian friend, is that everyone will shout, ‘Jeez, mate, there’s a dead cat on the table!’ In other words, they will be talking about the dead cat – the thing you want them to talk about – and they will not be talking about the issue that has been causing you so much grief.

Yep Nadim Zawahi has conveniently been accosted by Trans Activists today so that will be taking up a lot of air time over the next few days. Nick Ferrari loves it, his favourite question at the minute is asking if a woman has a penis. 

Annoying that it works and Labour trip over it. Need to stop pandering to extremists. The line is simple, there are biological sexes which is an undisputed fact but in a free and tolerant nation that prides itself on free speech people can determine whatever they are and whatever they want to be called. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

Do we get to crucify him if we go along with it?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

actually, there Is lots of usage of imperial in certain scenarios

This is I suppose a non story - it will end up whereby it’s no longer a criminal offence to sell in imperial ahead of metric - and yet the current law is no longer enforced anyway. So they’re just going to repeal a law that isn’t actually being used …. 

Agree.So no need to for people to get their knickers in a twist then.

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

True...but what have the Romans ever done for us!!!?