Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

38 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Agree.So no need to for people to get their knickers in a twist then.

In the great scheme of things, no but the govt will hang bells and whistles on the policy as some great brexit freedom we’ve taken back …..

I suppose they need something as the proposed free trade deal with Patagonia has yielded little thus far …..

https://www.ft.com/content/f029f5df-46c0-4188-832c-e7d920ed2e76?shareType=nongift

Britain’s retailers have warned prime minister Boris Johnson that his plan to bring back imperial measures will push up the price of goods — because they would need relabelling — just as consumers are battling the worst cost of living crisis for a generation.

I'd normally just say "Arf". But for fvck's sake. All to please a few pub gobshites.

Genuinely didn't realise it was as much as 57 years ago that metric was brought in over here, either.

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

https://www.ft.com/content/f029f5df-46c0-4188-832c-e7d920ed2e76?shareType=nongift

I'd normally just say "Arf". But for fvck's sake. All to please a few pub gobshites.

Genuinely didn't realise it was as much as 57 years ago that metric was brought in over here, either.

It feels like they have deliberately dropped a policy with no actual content. It makes a big headline, but if all they are going to do is stop it being illegal to sell in imperial measures, then it doesn't deserve the coverage it is getting. However if they are actually going to enforce selling in metric and imperial then that is absolute madness.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Why do they talk about getting through Brexit like its getting through a war? They championed it, Boris insisted he'd got a great deal, why are they talking like sorting it was like a battle against the odds.

And he hasn't got us through it all, whether you voted leave or remain, you'd have to accept its been a shower if shit.

I think it is because most of the media, the EU, most of parliament and indeed the May government where doing their best to roll back Brexit and overturn the democratic vote.  Or have you forgotten that?

• Haha 4

There is I think a pretty strong possibility of a vote of no confidence.  Hague is guessing either next week or by the end of June at least which I can believe.  Then however circa 180 MPs would need to vote against Boris, and something like 170 are on the Govt payroll from ministers to junior secretaries etc so that remains a big ask.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think it is because most of the media, the EU, most of parliament and indeed the May government where doing their best to roll back Brexit and overturn the democratic vote.  Or have you forgotten that?

Oh come on now. Some of the biggest obstructers in Parliament to Brexit actually getting through were the most hardcore Brexiteers in the Tory party. I'd like to know exactly which segments of the media took an editorial stance of trying to "overturn the democratic vote" too?

At the end of the day it should be no surprise to anyone that a concept that tried to be all things to all people who voted in favour of it turned out to be a struggle to get through. People on the winning side were always going to be disappointed by whichever outcome was put to them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Why do they talk about getting through Brexit like its getting through a war? They championed it, Boris insisted he'd got a great deal, why are they talking like sorting it was like a battle against the odds.

And he hasn't got us through it all, whether you voted leave or remain, you'd have to accept its been a shower if shit.

They were both quite literally self inflicted problems!!

Just now, Greg2607 said:

EXCELLENT NEWS Everybody!!!  Rees-Mogg has spoken and has found some brilliant Brexit Benefits....

Number 2 on the list.... we can now remove the EU law that limits the power on Vacuum's to 1400w....  FINALLY!

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20177830.super-powered-vacuum-second-best-brexit-opportunity-says-jacob-rees-mogg/

Kip Yes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

A lot of people where critical of brexit and the way it was being executed but its a massive stretch to claim they all wanted to overturn it.  Sure some would but the vast majority of the media, parliament, May Government and the EU accepted that brexit was happening.  Just because someone campaigned as a remainer didnt/doesnt mean they are trying to undo Brexit.

Edited by foxes1988
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

There is I think a pretty strong possibility of a vote of no confidence.  Hague is guessing either next week or by the end of June at least which I can believe.  Then however circa 180 MPs would need to vote against Boris, and something like 170 are on the Govt payroll from ministers to junior secretaries etc so that remains a big ask.

Didn't realise at first you were talking about William and I got excited

25 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

EXCELLENT NEWS Everybody!!!  Rees-Mogg has spoken and has found some brilliant Brexit Benefits....

Number 2 on the list.... we can now remove the EU law that limits the power on Vacuum's to 1400w....  FINALLY!

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20177830.super-powered-vacuum-second-best-brexit-opportunity-says-jacob-rees-mogg/

So they couldn't even make up 10 for the list.

1. Encourage fracking, shortcut rules on planning consultation via emergency act.

Don't know enough about fracking tbh, I know it's highly contentious. We'll let them have that one.

2.Abolish the EU regulations that restrict vacuum cleaner power to 1400 watts.

Is this life changing for anyone. Wtf are you doing if you need an ultra strong vacuum? Mines absolutely fine.

3.Remove precautionary principle restrictions (for instance) on early use of experimental treatments for seriously ill patients and GM crops.

Yay lets reduce the safeguards on how we treat the ill, and what we eat, the latter will probably lead to more ill people to experiment on. Good business thinking there. Supply and demand.

4.Abolish rules around the size of vans that need an operator's licence.

Let's make the roads less safe with less accountability. Cracking idea 

5.Abolish EU limits on electrical power levels of electrically assisted pedal cycles.

Increasing the power of unlicenced, uninsured powered things. Also in a obesity crisis I'm not sure encouraging more power assisted bikes and scooters is good thing.

6.Allow certain medical professionals, such as pharmacists and paramedics, to qualify in three years.

Yay, let's rush trough the people who hand out your life saving drug and treatment. Always gonna end well.

7.Remove requirements for agency workers to have all the attributes of a permanent employee.

Depends on the job I guess, about the only remotely sensible one so far.

8.Simplify the calculation of holiday pay (eg 12.07 percent of pay) to make it easier for businesses to operate.

Is working out 12.07% difficult? Maybe we need to be looking at education if it is. And this is based in our own minimum holiday, that we decide, so not sure how the EU makes us use that figure

9.Reduce requirements for businesses to conduct fixed wire testing and portable application testing.

Always a good idea to have more fire risks knocking around.

So we have 9, and maybe one is useful. The rest are pointless, cutting back standards or **** all to do with the EU as far as I can see. You'd think as he championed it so much JRM would have had a list ready 6 years ago not needed to express readers to provide him with a incomplete list of nothingness.

Edited by Facecloth

13 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So they couldn't even make up 10 for the list.

1. Encourage fracking, shortcut rules on planning consultation via emergency act.

Don't know enough about fracking tbh, I know it's highly contentious. We'll let them have that one.

Allow me to step in here then...

....it's far worse for both local and general environmental present and future than other options with equal economic cost and so really doesn't need to be considered.

But then since when has JRM thought about the future at all when his brain is so obviously lodged in the past?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Allow me to step in here then...

....it's far worse for both local and general environmental present and future than other options with equal economic cost and so really doesn't need to be considered.

But then since when has JRM thought about the future at all when his brain is so obviously lodged in the past?

OK, do we won't let them have that one lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm pretty bored by it all now but I still contend Brexit is the strangest thing I've ever seen in a western democracy. It's been pure fantasy land from the get go. 

His pathetic supporters keep bigging him up because he was the only one who could 'get Brexit done'! as if it was some triumph FFS!!... 

It's a fvcking disaster for our Country and future generations and anyone who was taken in by the lies and fairytales need to now realise it was for one and one only purpose.... to get that cretin into Power!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

You cannot forget what never was.  The vast majority of the media were and still are pro brexit.  The EU negotiated deals with both the May and Johnson Administration's.  May's deal was rejected by hard line brexiteer's,  including Johnson who left Government over May trying to negotiate that he eventually pushed through.   

• Like 3

I feel that there is little to no chance of the Tories winning a second full term under Johnson, certainly not with a majority. 

So it begs the question. Why don't Tory MP's see that!  Are they so detached from the real world, or am I missing something.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

...something like 170 are on the Govt payroll from ministers to junior secretaries etc so that remains a big ask.

Voting is anonymous though, and plenty say in private what they won't in public - that he's become a liability.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

46 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Voting is anonymous though, and plenty say in private what they won't in public - that he's become a liability.

As Daggers says its anonymous so it won't affect them. There will still be Conservative government when he's gone, so there's a chance they keep there roles anyway. And if he stays there's a chance they lose them in a government performing so shambolically. I imagine Johnson will want to be seen to have made change if he hangs on

Also if I was any of this current crop of Tories I'd be more concerned about keeping my job at the next election if he hangs not worrying about pleasing this lame duck of a PM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I feel that there is little to no chance of the Tories winning a second full term under Johnson, certainly not with a majority. 

So it begs the question. Why don't Tory MP's see that!  Are they so detached from the real world, or am I missing something.

Because they’re walking the tightrope of keeping in Boris as long as possible whilst knowing they have the ace-in-the-sleeve that is the moderately recent phenomena of knowing the Tories won’t be judged on the Tory governments that immediately pre-empted them and essentially have a clean slate. 

Maybe a result of establishment media, but we’re in a weird state as a country where ‘the last Labour government’ has been wheeled out to generally great effect despite that government having lost power by the time current secondary schoolers were born, whereas we have had two Conservative government overtake what most would consider ‘failures’ without any real breadth of scrutiny from the electorate. 

You see it even now, I saw an article on one of the more recent by-elections where an interviewed lady quote literally said “When will they get rid of Boris so I can vote Conservative again?”. The thing is, that party has now been so thoroughly purged of decent talent that surely anyone true small c conservative would see an election loss and thorough rebuilding is needed to revive some credibility?

• Like 3