Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

3 hours ago, bovril said:

The constant invocation of the war in Ukraine has to be the worst thing about all this

Yep, but not surprising either.

Fetishising war for the sake of popularity is exactly the kind of move one would expect. Churchill cosplay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

The vaccine roll out? 

Unhindered by the fact we weren’t obliged to dish out some of our vaccines to Europe when they were really struggling?

edit- We wouldn’t have legally been obliged, but definitely morally. We’d have been under enormous pressure.

We wouldn't have had  enough vaccines to give any away.  Still the fact that the vaccine procurement process was a success because it was taken away from the Department of Health leadership says it all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

Wordle 353 6/6

🟨
🟨🟨
🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Most constructive addition to Boris for a while. :D

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

In any ordinary circumstances these numbers would be fatal.  This isn't normal though.  Boris is surrounded by a Cabinet which has no chance of a) winning the leadership or b) being in cabinet under anyone else.  So where do the resignations which topple him come from?  They don't.  We are also in a very different situation to Theresa May, as we are not in deadlock in the commons with a small majority on a huge issue.  He can and probably will stumble on.  I read earlier, might have been Andrew Neil saying that the entire Downing St operation is and has been for weeks 100% dedicated to helping Boris survive.  They cannot be an effective government in these circumstances.

Sad but true for self preservation

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, but not surprising either.

Fetishising war for the sake of popularity is exactly the kind of move one would expect. Churchill cosplay.

Probably the best succinct way of putting it.

He seems worryingly deluded with being a remembered as a Churchill style leader.

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

In any ordinary circumstances these numbers would be fatal.  This isn't normal though.  Boris is surrounded by a Cabinet which has no chance of a) winning the leadership or b) being in cabinet under anyone else.  So where do the resignations which topple him come from?  They don't.  We are also in a very different situation to Theresa May, as we are not in deadlock in the commons with a small majority on a huge issue.  He can and probably will stumble on.  I read earlier, might have been Andrew Neil saying that the entire Downing St operation is and has been for weeks 100% dedicated to helping Boris survive.  They cannot be an effective government in these circumstances.

That’s all it’s ever been about. By the time the next election comes, none of the 2019 promises will have been achieved (including brexit). And we’ll get a new set of promises (lies). 

• Like 1

There’s a post going around LinkedIn in defence of him which included the following ‘Be careful what you wish for Conservatives, because last time you did this you got John Major and what do we remember him for? His office dalliance with Edwina Curry?’ 

I am having to bite very hard not to point out the obvious on the last line. 

• Haha 1

Much like, "the table doesnt lie", is.. "you get the government you vote for".

All those people who voted Tory knew what they were voting for... and the majority of  tory MP's are banking on you doing it again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Surely everyone knew this at the last GE?  This is why I didn't vote Costa because it ultimately amounts to a vote for Johnson and an acknowledgement that his lies are nothing more than an irrelevance.

The fact that he has lasted this long astounds me.  I said originally I'd give him a year tops.  

The number of gaffes he has made is ridiculous and people blindly go along with it because "he gave us furlough" and "who else is capable of leading the country?".  That's the general gist of what people have concluded.

With this mentality it's little wonder he's still where he is.

It's a complete failure of the current political system in this country.

Well yes, they could have done, if they had chosen to. As the video points out at its conclusion, all of its content was in the public domain at the time of the leadership election, whereas my recollection of the time was loads of my colleagues and relatives telling me that 'Boris is going to sort everything out', a fantasy based on absolutely f**k all.

I try to avoid talking to my folks about politics these days but I'm always intrigued about how they feel when things are going badly for the Tories, so I casually asked last night what their thoughts were. My Dad was utterly bewildered: "Boris is supposedly very intelligent but he just doesn't seem to use his brains" - no idea where this came from, and my Mum within about 5 seconds fell back on the "well yes he is terrible but you have to remember it was him or Jeremy Corbyn". 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well yes, they could have done, if they had chosen to. As the video points out at its conclusion, all of its content was in the public domain at the time of the leadership election, whereas my recollection of the time was loads of my colleagues and relatives telling me that 'Boris is going to sort everything out', a fantasy based on absolutely f**k all.

I try to avoid talking to my folks about politics these days but I'm always intrigued about how they feel when things are going badly for the Tories, so I casually asked last night what their thoughts were. My Dad was utterly bewildered: "Boris is supposedly very intelligent but he just doesn't seem to use his brains" - no idea where this came from, and my Mum within about 5 seconds fell back on the "well yes he is terrible but you have to remember it was him or Jeremy Corbyn". 

I hadn't realised that this was the Depression thread...

25 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

And I bet if there was an election today they'd vote for him?

Voted for Brexit as well did they?

24 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

There is a big element of truth around that last line though, which is why it’s important to have some credible opposition.

Not just from Labour but the Lib Dems too, we need places for these Tory voters to go if they are going change their vote.

They won’t vote for identity politics, there will still need to be sweeteners, otherwise the outcome will likely be similar.

Guest ttfn

I don’t know if it’s always been this way but I am pretty dismayed by the lack of interest that the Conservatives seem to have in actually running the country. 

Their entire purpose seems to be to win elections so that they can win the next election. Call me old fashioned but the government should be focused on governing well, not “getting stuff done” (poorly) and “being a winner”. It’s playground stuff that is negatively impacting the lives of almost everybody in the UK. How much time have we wasted pissing about with Brexit and the innumerable scandals under Johnson’s leadership?

And now another [x] months of muddling along all to preserve the status of a lame duck who has repeatedly proven himself singularly unfit for office. All the while inflation running into double digits, chaos at Dover and a war only a couple of thousand miles away. 

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I don’t know if it’s always been this way but I am pretty dismayed by the lack of interest that the Conservatives seem to have in actually running the country. 

Their entire purpose seems to be to win elections so that they can win the next election. Call me old fashioned but the government should be focused on governing well, not “getting stuff done” (poorly) and “being a winner”. It’s playground stuff that is negatively impacting the lives of almost everybody in the UK. How much time have we wasted pissing about with Brexit and the innumerable scandals under Johnson’s leadership?

And now another [x] months of muddling along all to preserve the status of a lame duck who has repeatedly proven himself singularly unfit for office. All the while inflation running into double digits, chaos at Dover and a war only a couple of thousand miles away. 

Its because the party has always had to fight with its UKIP elements. The sole purpose of UKIP was to exist to pressure the Tories to go in the direction they want. Cameron was terrified of them and thats why we ended up with Brexit. Its no coincidence that since UKIP folded its members are back in the Conservatives and rumours are some of them are now sitting MPs. 

As long as that element in the Tory party remains they will always be in campaign mode because of the warring factions. 

15 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its because the party has always had to fight with its UKIP elements. The sole purpose of UKIP was to exist to pressure the Tories to go in the direction they want. Cameron was terrified of them and thats why we ended up with Brexit. Its no coincidence that since UKIP folded its members are back in the Conservatives and rumours are some of them are now sitting MPs. 

As long as that element in the Tory party remains they will always be in campaign mode because of the warring factions. 

'UKIP' really is and has become a euphemism for something far, far nastier and more sinister than anyone cares to admit to.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

'UKIP' really is and has become a euphemism for something far, far nastier and more sinister than anyone cares to admit to.

I mean they had their own set of far right loons but the vast majority of them were Tory Eurosceptics that were kept at arms length in the Conservative Party so they set up their own which in the end pushed the Conservative party in the way they wanted to go.