Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

The whole rise of Brexit / Johnson has been about sticking it to educated urban elites, of course they vote for identity politics. 

I’m talking about voters that are likely change sides, anyone who votes Tory based on that mantra will never switch to Labour or Libs anyway. The only place they will go is further right.

I’m saying someone needs to make a grab for the centre, otherwise we stay polarised.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

And yet they did when they voted to ‘git brixit dun’ and sign up to a flag sh*gging anti-identity culture war.

The footballification of politics driven by Johnson is identity politics - because when people are arguing over minutiae of life they aren’t focussing on the gaping chasm of ineptitude in the cabinet or the vapidity of their arguments. And this feeds into the whole finger pointing ‘ahh but the alternative was…’, when in reality an alternative of voting for a wheelbarrow of excrement would have been preferable to this law breaking administration.

Your not understanding what I am saying, you won’t bring those voters over to alternative, but there are many that won’t vote Labour or Lib Dem that will currently only vote conservative or abstain that  can be bought. But they do need sweeteners. Allowing the debate to become about identity will drive them away from these parties.

If nobody gives any ground, don’t be surprised if the result is the same.

9 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

His continuing efforts to desperately cling onto power is massively detrimental to all of us. 

But, crucially, not to him and his cronies. 

Their standard of living has only increased and improved which is all they're bothered about in those spheres. They are transparently not there to benefit the country but to benefit themselves and keep the country stable. That's the Conservative way. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

urban elites

this is exactly the phrase that the Murdoch and the tories in oz have been using for the past few years... i still dont quite know who the urban elites are?

It is a (successful in many cases) ploy to make the politically incorrect brexit ukip lovers think they are on the same team as the tories ffs

the ONLY elites are the filthy corrupt scumbag tories...how the hell does boris get away with calling anyone elite when you look at his privilege... i just dont understand sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

this is exactly the phrase that the Murdoch and the tories in oz have been using for the past few years... i still dont quite know who the urban elites are?

It is a (successful in many cases) ploy to make the politically incorrect brexit ukip lovers think they are on the same team as the tories ffs

the ONLY elites are the filthy corrupt scumbag tories...how the hell does boris get away with calling anyone elite when you look at his privilege... i just dont understand sometimes.

Agree with this. 

35 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

It's delicious for Labour and the SNP. The by-elections at Wakefield and, more importantly Tiverton will be telling. 

However, as much as I love watching the Tories obliterate themselves, I dislike the continuing nosedive of the quality of life in this country for ordinary families more.

There is NOTHING is being done in government now, just like it hasn't been for the last few months. They can't govern effectively when they're firefighting the media constantly, just trying to get through the next day's coverage. There's infighting about economic policy, the so-called "levelling up" isn't happening, the post-COVID recovery is stalling and there are no clear long-term plans for the cost of living crisis. 

His continuing efforts to desperately cling onto power is massively detrimental to all of us. 

In my view the MSM led by the beeb and sky have decided they want Johnson out.  In much the same way as they fought for tougher and longer lockdowns and restrictions. I’m interested to know,  if labour became government right now, what would they do differently?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

In my view the MSM led by the beeb and sky have decided they want Johnson out.  In much the same way as they fought for tougher and longer lockdowns and restrictions. I’m interested to know,  if labour became government right now, what would they do differently?

You’ll have to remind which of the main selling newspapers in this country are against Johnson

26 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

When you say "MSM," do you mean "all major media from across the political spectrum"? Even his most ardent support at the Mail is starting to falter. 

Why would pretty much every media outlet be conspiring to get him out? The MSM stuff is a total fallacy thought up by far-leaning nutjobs high on tin-foil hat YouTube videos and your aunt Julie's Facebook memes.

I'd argue that it's almost like he's completely reprehensible, unfit for governance, and is being called out on it by the majority of commentators. 

I see at least one of Johnson's cronies is blaming the BBC for continuing to attack him. I suppose Dorries will be next. All the trouble he is in is self induced yet everybody but him must carry the can.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I bought up the vote of no confidence in conversation with my old man last night, and he said to me "he does get a hard time Boris, don't he?". I don't think I can put into words what the expression on my face looked like other than "WTF" or "are you alright in the head dad?". lol 

The part that often catches the elder family members out is when you mention he’s had three wives, he’s fathered eight children with five partners and committed further affairs to which at least one led to an abortion. His second wife he left has she was recovering from cancer. One of the eight children he fought to cover up via a super injunction - what a way to feel loved. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Johnson and his like have perfected the 'oh I'm the victim' shtick to quite the extent. It beggars belief that so many fall for it. 

Not the only world leader that has got that down to an artform. The previous occupant of the White House and the current incumbent in Brazil are quite good at manipulation through that idea, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Johnson and his like have perfected the 'oh I'm the victim' shtick to quite the extent. It beggars belief that so many fall for it. 

Especially amazing given that everything he and his supporters have wanted in the past six years *has actually happened*.

Some conspiracy to keep them down, eh... :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, ttfn said:

I don’t know if it’s always been this way but I am pretty dismayed by the lack of interest that the Conservatives seem to have in actually running the country. 

Their entire purpose seems to be to win elections so that they can win the next election. Call me old fashioned but the government should be focused on governing well, not “getting stuff done” (poorly) and “being a winner”. It’s playground stuff that is negatively impacting the lives of almost everybody in the UK. How much time have we wasted pissing about with Brexit and the innumerable scandals under Johnson’s leadership?

And now another [x] months of muddling along all to preserve the status of a lame duck who has repeatedly proven himself singularly unfit for office. All the while inflation running into double digits, chaos at Dover and a war only a couple of thousand miles away. 

I've said it before about Johnson but we can chuck in the rest now- they love the status but don't want the work and responsibility that comes with it. Expect endless heads saying the same thing about getting on with it whilst not really doing it.

48 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I’d imagine Labour would use the extortionate taxes we’re currently being charged (by tories) to better invest in public services like the NHS, education and transport, as opposed to siphoning it off to their rich mates. If you’re very lucky they may increase taxes on the richest people and reduce them on the common folk like us to ensure that we have more disposable income each month so we can pay to eat/keep warm in winter. 

You forget the hundreds of billions spent on furlough to keep people in jobs. It has to be paid for through taxes. 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

perfect-italian.gif

I don't know why he doesn't just say that if means testing was introduced, it would be carried out by the civil service and would cost £4.3 billion and wouldn't be carried out until 2045.

• Like 1