Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

12 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

They’d have to replace keir then. Because he inspires pretty much no one, capt dullard😂 

You might want to look at the polling as to who is more inspiring right now between the two leaders...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

They’d have to replace keir then. Because he inspires pretty much no one, capt dullard😂 

A peculiar way to judge a politcian.  What does he need to inspire?  If he has policies that are right for the country he can be a dull as he likes.

Boris hasn't inspired anything he doesn't need to inspire people to 'get brexit done'/ Supply Ukraine / raise taxes etc etc.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I’d imagine Labour would use the extortionate taxes we’re currently being charged (by tories) to better invest in public services like the NHS, education and transport, as opposed to siphoning it off to their rich mates. If you’re very lucky they may increase taxes on the richest people and reduce them on the common folk like us to ensure that we have more disposable income each month so we can pay to eat/keep warm in winter. 

I don't think they necessary need to target the richest - I think they need to target assets as opposed to current income - people with 2,3,4 homes etc. You do realise if you earn between 100-125K you are being taxed at an effective rate of 60% because you are losing your personal allowance, plus EE's NI. You don't want to wipe the floor of incentivising people to earn money otherwise people or businesses will go overseas. There is no way any government can heap any more tax on people earning between £0-£150K. Above that I'm in agreement 

• Like 2

You've got to admit, making 5 women that aren't your wife pregnant while married is quite an impressive record.

The mystery is really why the Tory party remains the go to for people with (small c) conservative values, but no less mysterious as to why so many US conservatives have gathered around Trump

24 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I don't think they necessary need to target the richest - I think they need to target assets as opposed to current income - people with 2,3,4 homes etc. You do realise if you earn between 100-125K you are being taxed at an effective rate of 60% because you are losing your personal allowance, plus EE's NI. You don't want to wipe the floor of incentivising people to earn money otherwise people or businesses will go overseas. There is no way any government can heap any more tax on people earning between £0-£150K. Above that I'm in agreement 

Fair enough, that’s the ‘land value’ tax that Andy Burnham was on about the other week on LBC which sounded like a good idea. It goes to show you don’t have to do anything radical to make things better. 

31 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

What I want from a politician is for them to be a born entertainer obviously. I'm assuming you probably bought the whole Ed Milliband can't be PM because he looks slightly odd eating a sandwich.

No not really but it does help if said person is in possession of a little charisma, Starmer by contrast is sadly lacking in that department. Listen, Johnson, morally should probably have been culled last night and I wouldn't have shed tears if he had. But he wasn't, and as a Conservative I would now like this sorry episode put to bed and for Johnson to have learned a lesson. Whether he/they can now move on remains to be seen. If not then ultimately the electorate will have the final say.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

perfect-italian.gif

Hmm, I'm not normally one to defend the Tories but I think she's picking on the wrong policy, or at least for the wrong reasons. Not everyone who has a second home is necessarily super rich. A retired couple like my in-laws have a "second home" it's a small property near the coast, they use it every other weekend, put their retirement fund into it. It still needs heating.

6 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

No not really but it does help if said person is in possession of a little charisma, Starmer by contrast is sadly lacking in that department. Listen, Johnson, morally should probably have been culled last night and I wouldn't have shed tears if he had. But he wasn't, and as a Conservative I would now like this sorry episode put to bed and for Johnson to have learned a lesson. Whether he/they can now move on remains to be seen. If not then ultimately the electorate will have the final say.

Surely it should be about principles before charisma. We ain't choosing a stand up comedian or a leading man for the next James Bond. I would argue that Clem Attlee was a great PM. Would not get a look in these days because  people think we are watching an entertainment show.

19 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

How often have you actually sat and listened to Starmer though? I'm assuming you call him uncharismatic due to his tone of voice? However I'd rather someone who is coherent than a parody figure who mumbles and bumbles his way through his privileged life.

Anyway the whole idea that he's boring and uncharismatic is a narrative pushed by certain media outlets and Boris himself.

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You've got to admit, making 5 women that aren't your wife pregnant while married is quite an impressive record.

The mystery is really why the Tory party remains the go to for people with (small c) conservative values, but no less mysterious as to why so many US conservatives have gathered around Trump

I think part of it is that these kind of people love to think they are contrarian not realising that they are actually the sheep. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I suspect the common denominator is based in misogyny. 

7 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Most people can't afford to own 1 house.

To own 2 houses, especially one that sits empty most of the time, you have to be pretty well off.

Not necessarily, most young people can't afford to own a house, but they've had this place for nearly 20 years.

The point is owning 2 homes doesn't make you super rich, I also think you have to applaud the government for getting the money into the pockets of the public in a swift and efficient manner. If it means a few super rich get a bit of extra so be it, the cost and time required to means test this would be prohibitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Most people can't afford to own 1 house.

To own 2 houses, especially one that sits empty most of the time, you have to be pretty well off.

That just isn't true, more people own their own home in the UK than don't, by two thirds to one. 

4 hours ago, Corky said:

I've said it before about Johnson but we can chuck in the rest now- they love the status but don't want the work and responsibility that comes with it. Expect endless heads saying the same thing about getting on with it whilst not really doing it.

Even the ethics bloke who resigned thanked him for getting brexit done. Very much the same phrasing that they've clearly all been told to use by their spin people to make a people think they have achieved something.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Even the ethics bloke who resigned thanked him for getting brexit done. Very much the same phrasing that they've clearly all been told to use by their spin people to make a people think they have achieved something.

Does he live in Southend?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

****ing despise the term ‘got Brexit done’. Ask people in Northern Ireland if it’s done 

I know!!.. it's absolutely pathetic.

'oven ready deal' is another!

We have some real thickos in this Country who believe all this nonsense!🤬