Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Right.

I wonder how the people with "concerns about immigration" are going to react when there's a billion people all needing a new place to live, eat and drink in a timeframe of around a decade, not too far away?

With the same scepticism as today unfortunately.  Because the consequences of climate change will be relatively 'slow'. When I say slow I mean in proportion to time perceived by a human life that lasts 80/90 years. In earth timescales the changes to the planet in the last 100 years have moved at an incredible speed.  Not all these people will need a place to live, food and water problems at the same time so I'm sure well get the usual drivel that there's no proof its caused by humans this is the natural cycle of the earth, consumerism via technology will solve all the problems etc etc :yawn:

I think for some sceptical people unless we see heat waves in winter hurricanes in the uk then they cannot get their heads around climate change

Edited by foxes1988

55 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61475720

There's literally record job vacancies (1.3 million) so only butted in here as I've heard this one from a few posters and not sure it's accurate. Given seasonal workers have abandoned us, economically we're desperate for workers.

I do agree it's a massive challenge to accommodate economic migrants given the massively overburdened affordable and social housing stock (shame we flogged it all and Boris is saying to do the same with what's left). I would try and disassociate the asylum seekers from economic migrants which seem to have merged into a single group and require very different solutions. 

How many of those Jobs are being filled by sub-contractors, bank staff or agency workers?

it’s not a true reflection without that information.

18 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

With the same scepticism as today unfortunately.  Because the consequences of climate change will be relatively 'slow'. When I say slow I mean in proportion to time perceived by a human life that lasts 80/90 years. In earth timescales the changes to the planet in the last 100 years have moved at an incredible speed.  Not all these people will need a place to live, food and water problems at the same time so I'm sure well get the usual drivel that there's no proof its caused by humans this is the natural cycle of the earth, consumerism via technology will solve all the problems etc etc :yawn:

I think for some sceptical people unless we see heat waves in winter hurricanes in the uk then they cannot get their heads around climate change

I don't disagree at all, apart from the speed - I do think while it won't happen all at the same time, it will happen in a short time (like within a decade overall from start to finish).

And what this will result in is the death of a large proportion of those billion people and the suffering of the rest. And I hope the responsibility for that ignorance-fuelled holocaust is placed where it should be - with those who didn't see a problem either now or when it does happen.

Edited by leicsmac

50 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Right.

I wonder how the people with "concerns about immigration" are going to react when there's a billion people all needing a new place to live, eat and drink in a timeframe of around a decade, not too far away?

I genuinely wonder the same about the people who believe borders are just make believe and need binning. 

Somehow doubt the same welcome one and all attitude will prevail. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I genuinely wonder the same about the people who believe borders are just make believe and need binning. 

Yep. Ideal in principle but very much lacking in practice, because humans like to listen to their hindbrain. That's something I know and have to accept.

Therefore, it might be hoped that something in between "no borders" and "raise the drawbridge" might be sorted out that doesn't result in dire consequences. And lest anyone be thinking otherwise,  current policy is much more inclined towards the latter than the former and I think that might get even worse when the pressure *really* cranks up.

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Your right its just that the proportion of people you're talking about is significantly lower then the amount with concerns about immigration.

14 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

£250k to fly 7 people to Rwanda. Not counting the carbon cost. Really is a shambles and works out cheaper to just keep them here. 

Not only that but we’re getting 100+ Rwandans in return. 

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Frankly it doesn't matter how much it costs per person. It doesn't matter how many or few get sent there. It doesn't matter a jot, it's a cast iron vote winner with the gammon clan.

The DT's above like this. Hard Brexit, hate anyone with a foreign accent, despise refugees and those fleeing persecution. It's secured their vote. You will not find them wavering from the Tory train now. good vote winner, even if the value for money to the public is zero.

The worst thing about this (other than being accurate)?

Such ideology will have much, much worse consequences going forward, as talked about above.

• Like 2

It’s amazing how many of the “country is full” types are more than happy to have children and contribute to population growth in the UK themselves.

Would be interesting the figures of how many homes in the UK are either not someone’s first home or else are owned by some overseas billionaire who never occupies the house but lists it as a place of business for tax purposes. I imagine they’d be plenty of homes to house everyone with many to spare if that political will was there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

This lot must be the most incompetent bunch of idiots that have set foot on the planet. Seriously, who votes for them? It seems they shoot themselves in the foot with everything they do.

The Judean Peoples Front are better organised!!..

The Tories are splitters!!

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

The Judean Peoples Front are better organised!!..

The Tories are splitters!!

I reckon that in the General Chat Thread over time, most of Holy Grail and Life of Brian has been quoted.

Python (Monty) pictures, will have us for plagiarism.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

1 minute ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I reckon that in the Geneal Chat Thread over time, most of Holy Trail and Life of Brian has been quoted.

Python (Monty) pictures, will have us for plagiarism.

I'm guilty and so is my wife.

• Haha 2