Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

Just listening to talk radio and a caller rang in on the subject of sending refugees to Rwanda which amused me. They were talking about refugees declaring asylum in the UK and should be kept in the Uk until their case is heard, this guy calls up and says why don't we fly them to the Falklands instead of Rwanda for processing seeing as it's a UK territory. I didn't know what to make of that but i suppose people would think twice if they going to end up on a freezing island, i mean, it's not like we haven't done it before!

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Has anyone said refugees are the issue?  Economic migrants are the issue, and indeed for some parts of the country where a lot of EU migration happened, people remain concerned. 

Of course some people don't want anyone to come from anywhere, but that is not who this charade is aimed at.

And the number of those people might be somewhat larger than is thought here, so there is a slippery slope to question.

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

Quite right. This aimed at the boats full of young adult males coming from Albania. This problem takes resources away from genuine refugees in need. 

If that is true, I think it can be followed by the word "for now". See above.

1 hour ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Well he's a EU citizen now so can probably facilitate some advantageous tax arrangements for his salary..

Nah Bojo will I'd imagine appoint himself 

Or Nad...

....al?

Can't see it, he'll be busy at Wimbledon.

13 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

The Tories have set such a high bar for themselves these days. 

He didn't say that at all  - he said we didn't stop trusting all our GPs because Harold Shipman was a serial killer, and we shouldn't stop trusting Tory MPs because one of them abused a teenager 20 years ago and is in jail for it while protesting his innocence.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NasPb said:

I don't want to hear anyone from Britain talking about how barbaric another regime is even its its a dictatorship without criticizing these mad folk in office now. Not only do these lot fund authoritarian policies here they also have funded and supported the majority of pro western dictatorships themselves like that of Paul kigame. Disgusting stuff. Say what you want about the developing world but Jordan, Uganda, Sudan, Lebanon Bangladesh have taken in millions of refugees and you don't hear anything. I remember in Sudan they welcomed their Ethiopian neighbors fleeing from wars created by Western and Eastern backed leaders at the top. Literally by giving them food and shelter, even if they didn't have any or very little. Iranians accepted polish refugees in ww2. This civilization (just as all civilizations but this one is the culmination of all of them) represents pure egotism and nastyness. Say what you want but even in past generations people would at least do something to help like those i mentioned in Sudan... Even if the government doesn't. Scary thing is that many people are favorable to these barbaric policies and yet critique other nations for doing the same.... Disgusting stuff. The ego was and always will be the enemy of the human race. And we're heading towards the ultimate tipping point of it. There is no way in any direction but down. This is only the start. Praying for those in need though, who flee these wars and who come from nations destroyed by Western and Eastern backed dictators, weber it be Syria or myanmar or anywhere in between. Peace 

This civilization is far from perfect, but it probably in fact the least barbaric and most accountable there has ever been.  The people of the UK in particular has the most welcoming attitude to refugees, and are some of the most generous in terms of charitable giving in the western world.  Should we put up with poor leadership and decision making - No.  Should be push for better - yes.  Should any of this prevent us criticizing other regimes - no.  Get a grip man.

15 hours ago, Otis said:

Quite right. This aimed at the boats full of young adult males coming from Albania. This problem takes resources away from genuine refugees in need. 

The two are tied though.

We don’t have a legitimate scheme for asylum unless you are Afghan or Ukrainian. Hence the boat trips occur. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The two are tied though.

We don’t have a legitimate scheme for asylum unless you are Afghan or Ukrainian. Hence the boat trips occur. 

This point isn't being made enough.

You currently cannot apply for asylum unless you're in the country.

So of course people will try and get in the country. Make it easier to apply for asylum and those numbers will surely drop!

I imagine though, it's hard to agree with another nation to host an asylum centre. For example, good luck convincing the French to let us set one up in Calais.

Edited by LVocey
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, LVocey said:

This point isn't being made enough.

You currently cannot apply for asylum unless you're in the country.

So of course people will try and get in the country. Make it easier to apply for asylum and those numbers will surely drop!

I imagine though, it's hard to agree with another nation to host an asylum centre. For example, good luck convincing the French to let us set one up in Calais.

So the solution is to set more centres up in this country, have an efficient asylum system where you can deport people back from where they came from if they don’t meet international asylum guidelines and allow safe passages. It’s really not that difficult. It’s the home office who are the issue, not the asylum seekers and refugees. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Lionator said:

So the solution is to set more centres up in this country, have an efficient asylum system where you can deport people back from where they came from if they don’t meet international asylum guidelines and allow safe passages. It’s really not that difficult. It’s the home office who are the issue, not the asylum seekers and refugees. 

So you want to lock them up on arrival Australian style?  Its all easy in theory, in practice there are people willing to fund endless legal challenges against every step of the process, and it costs an absolute fortune to send every failed asylum seeker anywhere, let alone where they came from.

14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So you want to lock them up on arrival Australian style?  Its all easy in theory, in practice there are people willing to fund endless legal challenges against every step of the process, and it costs an absolute fortune to send every failed asylum seeker anywhere, let alone where they came from.

Where did I say lock them up? 

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

This civilization is far from perfect, but it probably in fact the least barbaric and most accountable there has ever been.  The people of the UK in particular has the most welcoming attitude to refugees, and are some of the most generous in terms of charitable giving in the western world.  Should we put up with poor leadership and decision making - No.  Should be push for better - yes.  Should any of this prevent us criticizing other regimes - no.  Get a grip man.

I get what you mean, and in certain aspects it is not as barbaric as other periods, absolutely. For example late antiquity where in some areas they buried children alive! But maybe I'm just exagerrating, but i feel like the problems of the past, or the so called past are returning with much more force. Like an avalanche. We have the most technology and science and yet we are the saddest there has been. 

I'd disagree, i don't think Britain as a nation (trust me my friend, it's not just Britain, it's almost all western and eastern nations that have had massive recent empires from the ussr to China to Britain USA Spain France the Netherlands and Germany and much more) is particularly welcoming. First of all its not even recognized the fact that as i mentioned, well, most of these regimes where people are fleeing from are or were British backed at one point, and that a lot of these conflicts that are so modern well they have their roots in British imperialism without a doubt. The basis of British success to say it as such rests on the backs of the forgotten practices of the colonial empire, from economic destruction of other areas, to genocides, slavery, etc. And don't get me wrong, Britain ain't the worst offender. It's probably France in terms of empires. The other ones i mentioned are just as bad. But if the past is never reconciled by the government nothing will change. And sadly i doubt it will be ever.. I'm not blaming anyone for the actions of the government particularly, no one chooses where they're born.. I only blame those who openly support and deny what really happened. 

Oh and absolutely we should critique other regimes. Just don't forget to critique those in power in the uk and the fact that, like in the case of Rwanda as a microcosm of this phenomenon, well, the uk actively supports many dictatorships, and is indirectly or directly responsible for many of these atrocities along with nation's like the USA above all, who are prime culprits, but also Russia, China, France, ETC. Just look at western support for the Saudi terrorists in Yemen, or of the terrorists in charge of Israel... Or of the whole conflict of Libya. I could continue till tomorrow unfortunately. 

Good day to you. No offense intended my friend 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

How do know what country to deport them back to, when they have destroyed their documents. 

5 hours ago, weller54 said:

Isn't the best way to stop the illegal crossings to stop them entering the water at the French side of the channel?..

That would obviously take huge cooperation and dialogue with the French authorities and Government..

Our Government has decided to alienate Europe and pick fights with France (fishing rights for a start!) all caused by Brexit and it's racist overtones!!

Until we get back to having a non confrontational Government who can sit around a table and sensibly discuss remedies to this problem we're not going to solve it!

... After the disaster and self inflicted damage Brexshit has done, I really pray that one day bridges can be built again with our European counterparts!

Not going to happen with this bunch of morons though, eh. 

There are so many better solutions to almost everything they do - but they’re bent on generating fervour and support in their bigoted base over long-term sensible measures. 

On days where I’m not nursing a jug of Pimms in the sun it can quite depress me. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Not going to happen with this bunch of morons though, eh. 

There are so many better solutions to almost everything they do - but they’re bent on generating fervour and support in their bigoted base over long-term sensible measures. 

On days where I’m not nursing a jug of Pimms in the sun it can quite depress me. 

Yep!!!... thoroughly bloody depressing!!..

Especially the morons who STILL support these cretins despite everything that has unfolded in front of their own eyes 🤬🤬!!

• Like 3