Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

I don't disagree with much of what you say.

However, the technology is there, that we haven't taken it up yet is a massive failing of the country. Likewise the ticket machines being difficult to use or not working at all doesn't mean that they aren't the way it should be done, its just that its been implemented badly in the first place.

Yes we should be further on than we are - but you are directing your frustrations at the wrong people. The workers can only work with the resources they have. 

5 minutes ago, kenny said:

I wouldn't take issue with 4%, but I doubt that the RMT will be satisfied with that.

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

I don't disagree with much of what you say.

However, the technology is there, that we haven't taken it up yet is a massive failing of the country. Likewise the ticket machines being difficult to use or not working at all doesn't mean that they aren't the way it should be done, its just that its been implemented badly in the first place.

They'll (RMT) have to put the payrise forward to us mate, we're the members and we pay the subs!

We'll see what occurs, going to be an interesting few weeks.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Yes we should be further on than we are - but you are directing your frustrations at the wrong people. The workers can only work with the resources they have. 

Its a acceptance that we have to make that there aren't and won't be the workforce in the future that we have now.

So we as a country (or the west if you want to go that far) need to accept quickly that the solution to labour problems isn't the labour. Its automation.

There are many things that should be automated right now but aren't.

My only frustration is that the Unions may slow this process down in order to protect themselves for the future.

Its also a sad day for the railways as they are an essential part of reducing the number of vehicles on the road. Strike action means we all need cars just in case the trains don't run and sets back the argument further.

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

When we view things through the prism of media, we must always consider they attempt an angle that sells, builds readerships and audiences 

I have to say, even the BBC I found curious recently. 

Had a main headline story about an accident on a DB network in Bavaria with a few fatalities. 

It's obviously newsworthy to a point but it's not exactly front page news in this country, train accidents happen occasionally and take a few lives, it's very sad but its not like an entire train blew up killing tens or hundreds of people. 

But with pending rail strikes on the UK network and talks of nationalisation and general frustration and disillusionment at the train network over here, BBC news decided to lead with a story of deaths on one of the most successful state run rail networks in the world. Was definitely interesting. 

Maybe I'm being cynical and it's considered bigger news generally than I'd have imagined but. 🤷

6 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

And do we need over 600 MPs anyway. Let's see the government propose a cut there.

They won't. They won't even take a pay freeze during a period of austerity. Nobody is mad enough about this. 

• Like 1

Good lord is there nothing that celebrities won't do to insert themselves into, or next to, something resembling the spotlight.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2022/jun/21/ben-stiller-meets-volodymyr-zelenskiy-ukraine-video

Regardless of his completely token role as some form of useless ambassador, Stiller has NO place in Ukraine and even less assuming some of the time of it's leader during a time of war. Gratuitous virtue signalling. Stiller is SO invested in the politics of Ukraine that he has absolutely no idea of who the foreign minister is. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

This is very true.

Also true and related - the modern Conservative party has convinced large portions of the working class that they're actually upper Middle class and, thus, it is a divided class base.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

a) she wasn't his wife then, she was a mistress.

b) according to wikipedia her 'qualifications' for this chief of staff role appear to be a degree in Art history and Theatre Studies from Warwick University

Degree in BJs?

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

b) according to wikipedia her 'qualifications' for this chief of staff role appear to be a degree in Art history and Theatre Studies from Warwick University

How does Boris Johnson do it. When he ran for Tory party leadership, so many commentators said, Boris gives the impression he can win a vote. I thought they were being ridiculous. When he ran the general election, I could understand a small majority given the reservations with Corbyn but he led his party to destroy the previously held red wall. I couldn't understand it. He ****s up now on daily basis and the Tories just wont get rid. In fact making excuse after excuse for him. What the hell does this guy have that I cant see. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 1

Mick Lynch is not a militant, use of the word militant in itself is absolutely ridiculous in these situations. All I'm seeing is an elected leader of a union fighting for his workers and members, something I wish our party political leaders who try some time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I have always wondered - how could she be attracted to him. Now its clear, those three years in Coventry have pickled her brain bless

7 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Mick Lynch is not a militant, use of the word militant in itself is absolutely ridiculous in these situations. All I'm seeing is an elected leader of a union fighting for his workers and members, something I wish our party political leaders who try some time. 

I have met him in person and he's a decent bloke.

My favourite is Eddie Dempsey, proper geezer and he can speak to both the working class and the elite, whilst being exactly himself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

How does Boris Johnson do it. When he ran for Tory party leadership, so many commentators said, Boris gives the impression he can win a vote. I thought they were being ridiculous. When ran the general election, I could understand a small majority given the reservations with Corbyn but he lef his party to destroy the previously held red wall. I couldn't understand it. He ****s up now on daily basis and the Tories just wont get rid. In fact making excuse after excuse for him. What the hell does this guy have that I cant see. 

Beats me, though it is a good question.

I heard someone say that it doesn't  matter how bad BJ and his government are, they seem to be able to convince the voters that under Labour, it would be worse.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dames said:

The quality of MP's has dropped dramatically in this country in recent years but none more so than the 2019 intake of Tory MPs. Each and every one of them, thick as mince. 

Here's one 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

This is very true.

Also true and related - the modern Conservative party has convinced large portions of the working class that they're actually upper Middle class and, thus, it is a divided class base.

Always never understood why some of the working class fell for the con they are middle class. How long can the ordinary working person go without a wage. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Learning on the veterans is a bit of a low blow. 

Alcoholics Christmas.. sorry Armed Forces Day is around the corner so its an easy win to get a certain element of the public even angrier than they are.  

(Not a dig at veterans but the alchys that hang out in pubs bleating on about supporting our troops despite not working a day in their lives). 

2 hours ago, Dames said:

The quality of MP's has dropped dramatically in this country in recent years but none more so than the 2019 intake of Tory MPs. Each and every one of them, thick as mince. 

No, ours isn't ( Alicia Kearns) She's pretty good on local issues especially. Comparing her with her predecessor, Duncan, who was a useless bugger is like chalk and cheese. She also voted against Johnson in the VOC.