Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

Just now, Fazzer 7 said:

No, ours isn't ( Alicia Kearns) She's pretty good on local issues especially. Comparing her with her predecessor, Duncan, who was a useless bugger is like chalk and cheese. She also voted against Johnson in the VOC.

She is in an extremely thin minority. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dames said:

She is in an extremely thin minority. 

I agree with you there. I didn't always agree with her stance on covid and everything that came with it. But Locally she involves herself with a great deal of stuff. Champions and promotes local businesses and events, is very engaged with social media and generally does her best for her constituents. She may have burned her bridges with Johnson though. Maybe pinning her hopes and aspirations on a change of leadership!

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just pitts us all against each other, it's veterans vs. railway workers vs. nurses vs. posties.

It's taken me 28 years but I'm finally seeing the true colour of these Tories, never again will they get my vote.

Oh and the 'modernisation' that he talks about, includes everyone accepting Sunday as a working day, so basic rate of pay, includes our pensions changing, includes redundancies, includes maintenance being less frequent, includes much more stress and responsibility being put on those who do stay on, includes the loss of competencies, skills and experience by the dozen in one fell swoop.

What's written in the media is completely different to what NR propose behind closed doors. Only a few hours ago everyone who works for NR received an email stating that formal consultation for redundancies would start next week.

We've had a communication from a NR top dog stating anyone who thinks striking is a good idea 'should have worked harder at school'. We've had numerous communications stating that by striking we're now not going to get a decent pay deal because we've brought this on ourselves.

**** them I say.

And if you didn’t know already 

The vast majority of the media are C@@t’s aswell 

20 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I agree with you there. I didn't always agree with her stance on covid and everything that came with it. But Locally she involves herself with a great deal of stuff. Champions and promotes local businesses and events, is very engaged with social media and generally does her best for her constituents. She may have burned her bridges with Johnson though. Maybe pinning her hopes and aspirations on a change of leadership!

Kearns advantage is that she will win her constituency at the next election, so there's little risk for her in Johnson going, and she can actually pursue things that interest her. All the bootlickers like Gullis and Anderson are very likely to lose their seat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

letting down are veterans its just not right

Nothing says supporting the veterans like using the public purse as your private kitty and lowering the moral standards of office. 

It's what servicemen would want, the steady dissolving of state pay and pensions. 

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It’s in my roster and I do 3 in 6. 

You should be paid a premium for doing it, everyone should. This race to the bottom has to stop. 

Where I work (and vast majoirty within the same industry) it has always been a working day paid at normal rate. I've been where I am for 10 years, a lot of it being on a 1 on 1 off weekend rota (again, the same for the majority of the industry). For 4 years I was working every weekend (by "choice"(I didn't actually want to but I needed part time and thats all they offered)). I know that this point has been pulled out of a post of which I agree with most of it, Sunday not being a normal working day i feel will not get much support. I read your post earlier and found that point somewhat jarring despite the rest of what you said absolutely making sense.

My workplace is well unionised and we have been discussing pay rises for many months. Originally we were offered 0p an hour. Then 40p. Then 60p but a decrease in sick pay. Then 80p but many other t&Cs cut. Now after voting to stike we have an offer of 95p including an absence policy "review" which our union is telling us to accept but it's still pretty shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopic said:

Where I work (and vast majoirty within the same industry) it has always been a working day paid at normal rate. I've been where I am for 10 years, a lot of it being on a 1 on 1 off weekend rota (again, the same for the majority of the industry). For 4 years I was working every weekend (by "choice"(I didn't actually want to but I needed part time and thats all they offered)). I know that this point has been pulled out of a post of which I agree with most of it, Sunday not being a normal working day i feel will not get much support. I read your post earlier and found that point somewhat jarring despite the rest of what you said absolutely making sense.

My workplace is well unionised and we have been discussing pay rises for many months. Originally we were offered 0p an hour. Then 40p. Then 60p but a decrease in sick pay. Then 80p but many other t&Cs cut. Now after voting to stike we have an offer of 95p including an absence policy "review" which our union is telling us to accept but it's still pretty shit.

I’ve just always considered Sunday to be a day of rest, it seems to be becoming the norm that weekends are expected to be worked for flat rate, in an ideal world they should be paid at more (IMO). 

That does sound pretty crap mate, a lot of people are going to end up worse off even with a decent payrise. I know people can’t all get RPI but people should be getting a few percent to weather the storm, especially if they’re on a lower than average wage. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

180,000 people are ****ing dead you ****. 

You need to put that figure in context. There are around 67 million of us and it’s still lower than cancer deaths over the same period. Would it have been any lower under labour? We’ll never know but  I doubt it. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

If you knew someone that spoke to you like the Mail talks to its readers you'd all be praying that they didn't come down the pub with you, and if he did, when he eventually got his jaw broken by a random stranger you'd all be 'oh no how awful' while internally punching the air and thinking 'at last'.

I grew up in a household where the Daily Mail was pretty much the only printed news media and I'm sure that one of the reasons why I'm a bit more left leaning than my family (so in their eyes, a full on Communist) is that I stumbled across other media that didn't feel like it was furiously shouting at me, and that in itself made it seem a lot more convincing

• Like 2

Guest ttfn

Watching Mick Lynch calmly and clearly set out why the strikes are happening to under-prepared presenters and whichever no-name sycophant has been rolled out by the government really puts into perspective the complete lack of knowledge, communication and competence in Westminster. 

For once the person with the facts on their side is holding the whip hand and it makes such a change from the last 5+years of those with the power obfuscating and outright lying to poison the well for everyone.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

People love a chancer. They love it when someone shit does well because most people know they’re a bit shit too. The ones who don’t are just in denial about what they’re shit at. I’ve worked for one boss - one - who was good at their job. The rest, and everyone of my level or below, were just plain rubbish, blagging their way through the days.

”Oh look, he’s a bit shit,” they think. “I could do that.”

It’s why Gove’s laying in to ‘experts’ was so popular. People hate being shown up for being thick or wrong - and 99% of them are always thick and wrong. Bloody experts and their facts, who needs them? Well, apart from during a pandemic, I guess, and maybe all of the other time too.

We live in Idiocracy.

That Gove quote was cut and taken out of context tbf but I agree with the sentiment of your post.