Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If you knew someone that spoke to you like the Mail talks to its readers you'd all be praying that they didn't come down the pub with you, and if he did, when he eventually got his jaw broken by a random stranger you'd all be 'oh no how awful' while internally punching the air and thinking 'at last'.

I grew up in a household where the Daily Mail was pretty much the only printed news media and I'm sure that one of the reasons why I'm a bit more left leaning than my family (so in their eyes, a full on Communist) is that I stumbled across other media that didn't feel like it was furiously shouting at me, and that in itself made it seem a lot more convincing

My grandmother always got the mail, the only good part was the scratch cards although I don't know if they actually printed any winning ones. 

Not sure whether this will be an unpopular opinion, but…

Despite the bar being so low as to be almost touching the floor, the Mail is now somehow a worse paper than it was under Paul Dacre.

2 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

My grandmother always got the mail, the only good part was the scratch cards although I don't know if they actually printed any winning ones. 

My Gran, who is 101 bought the Daily Mail every day (and has only stopped because she pretty much cannot see now) because her Dad (or Grandad) bought the very first copy in 1890 something and the family had bought it ever since.

My mum has helpfully taken over her subscription meaning that I think that's about a century and a quarter of my family being furiously told to be furious about something or other.

A great tradition that although I'm sure worthy of continuing for now is on borrowed time because I'm sure as shit not carrying it on 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dunge said:

Not sure whether this will be an unpopular opinion, but…

Despite the bar being so low as to be almost touching the floor, the Mail is now somehow a worse paper than it was under Paul Dacre.

Personally I think that the culpability is also shared by the press regulator.

Are they really doing their jobs when the Mail can print what it does with next to no libel/other repercussions for doing so?

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Are they really doing their jobs when the Mail can print what it does with next to no libel/other repercussions for doing so?

But what should the press regulator do? (Remembering that whatever rule you apply has to work both ways.)

In the case of the headline shown above, for instance, is there actually a case for libel? It’s propaganda of course, and certainly trying to lead people to a particular conclusion and narrative that is misrepresentative of the situation. But even that’s just an opinion. Where do you draw the line?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dunge said:

But what should the press regulator do? (Remembering that whatever rule you apply has to work both ways.)

In the case of the headline shown above, for instance, is there actually a case for libel? It’s propaganda of course, and certainly trying to lead people to a particular conclusion and narrative that is misrepresentative of the situation. But even that’s just an opinion. Where do you draw the line?

TBH I was thinking more in terms of generalities rather than this specific headline. I'd argue that past headlines they have printed have been, if not outright libellous, blatantly untrue or so far removed from context it doesn't make much difference.

At the very least, the rule regarding printing retractions on the same page and to the same size as the original incorrect article should be adhered to as it doesn't seem to be right now.

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

TBH I was thinking more in terms of generalities rather than this specific headline. I'd argue that past headlines they have printed have been, if not outright libellous, blatantly untrue or so far removed from context it doesn't make much difference.

At the very least, the rule regarding printing retractions on the same page and to the same size as the original incorrect article should be adhered to as it doesn't seem to be right now.

Fair.

And don’t get me wrong, I’d happily see them print a full-page retraction of pretty much every Covid headline they ever wrote. To be so wrong so consistently was actually quite impressive.

39 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's not for IPSO to govern whether something is libellous, though. That's for those affected to do so if they feel they've been defamed and want to sue.

IPSO can, and frequently do, rule against the Mail and other national newspapers on points of accuracy. Again though, if those being written about don't want to make a complaint in the first place then there's nothing they can do about it.

37 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Do we really have a press regulator in the proper sense? The papers weren't forced to sign up to IMPRESS, which complies with the Leveson Inquiry recommendations, and instead set up IPSO which is basically them marking their own homework although it claims to be independent 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It's not for IPSO to govern whether something is libellous, though. That's for those affected to do so if they feel they've been defamed and want to sue.

IPSO can, and frequently do, rule against the Mail and other national newspapers on points of accuracy. Again though, if those being written about don't want to make a complaint in the first place then there's nothing they can do about it.

I'll take your word for that, but honestly judging by the fact they can do it again and again it doesn't seem to actually be effective in policing such behaviour and one wouldn't really know that they are.

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Do we really have a press regulator in the proper sense? The papers weren't forced to sign up to IMPRESS, which complies with the Leveson Inquiry recommendations, and instead set up IPSO which is basically them marking their own homework although it claims to be independent 

It does seem to be a rather toothless tiger.

Edited by leicsmac

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'll take your word for that, but honestly judging by the fact they can do it again and again it doesn't seem to actually be effective in policing such behaviour and one wouldn't really know that they are.

It does seem to be a rather toothless tiger.

It's all publicly available here:

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/

They can only police what people complain to them about, though? Leading politicians of all colours often don't want to get involved in taking on papers unless it's something really serious that's said about them - and if it's that serious, i.e. defamatory, then they'll just take them to court instead of spending their time complaining to the press regulator.

I see the Tories are reverting to the old classics of veterans and nuclear bombs in a last ditch defence to get people mad. 

The war hungry people in this country are dying out, those attack lines are wearing very thin now. 

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It's all publicly available here:

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/

They can only police what people complain to them about, though? Leading politicians of all colours often don't want to get involved in taking on papers unless it's something really serious that's said about them - and if it's that serious, i.e. defamatory, then they'll just take them to court instead of spending their time complaining to the press regulator.

Yep, as per above, I don't doubt what you say.

However I stand by my assertion that it is obviously ineffective at preventing misinformation being disseminated among the public and is therefore suffering from a critical failure in purpose IMO.

1 minute ago, Dames said:

I see the Tories are reverting to the old classics of veterans and nuclear bombs in a last ditch defence to get people mad. 

The war hungry people in this country are dying out, those attack lines are wearing very thin now. 

I wouldn't be overly sure about that.

Jingoism and antipathy towards the "other" is easy to cultivate in any age - it's why it's been used so often by those who power-monger.

29 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Embarrassing. lol

Genuinely embarrassing. I get Piers will say virtually any twaddle for views and clicks  but this makes him look a whole new level of pathetic and inept. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

180,000 people are ****ing dead you ****. 

Good to see the Tories "getting on with what the public want".

Tweeting "But Labour" is the new delivering, it appears.

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Embarrassing. lol

Why has Piers posted himself getting embarrassed on his own page? I assumed it was someone mocking his pathetic questioning! Same with that earlier Kay Burley clip. 

• Like 2

Just watched the Piers Morgan, Mick Lynch interview. Great to see Lynch perfectly calm and not rising to the obvious baiting Morgan was trying to get out of him. Morgan ends up embarrassing himself yet again and you can tell he’s disappointed he hasn’t managed to get lynch wound up. 

• Like 2